Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laguna Seca Racing Opportunity, September, No Sound Restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009 | 09:44 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Just a reminder, I am pretty sure there are slots left for qualified racers. If you are in the area but aren't racing, stop by anyway and check out the event. It should be a lot of fun.

Hopefully this event will become an annual opportunity to race at Laguna Seca.
Old 09-03-2009 | 12:39 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Hopefully this event will become an annual opportunity to race at Laguna Seca.
Hopefully SCRAMP will give this open exhaust weekend, previously slated to motorcyle racing, to one of the many clubs that have supported them and their charitable organizations for multiple years instead of giving it away to one of their friends who've never run an event there before....

You bet I'm bitter. We've raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for them over the past 10 years and we don't even get a call. Instead they have cocktails with these principals and bingo, they get 1 of the 4 weekends per year that are unlimited sound. Love to run there uncorked, but it won't be with this event. Hell I bet the majority of cars there will be street cars with mufflers. Did I mention I'm bitter?...
Old 09-03-2009 | 01:09 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Yep, running there uncorked it a blast. we did it with PCA, WCGT and we get close with SCCA club, but still have to make 103db. we will be out there on the 18th, and its going to be a big turn out. So, if you cant make this event and want a ton of track time, come out with use at the SCCA double regional event. ITE gets 3 full 30min races, 2 qualifyings and a practice over the 3 days. If you run Sp, you can get another 2 races, 2 qual and practice as well, thats 5 races over the weekend at Laguna . Plus, a few of the WCGT and Tourng cars will be there to tune up for the WC race in Oct. So, if you cant make the Club Autosport event, come out with us on the weekend of the 18th.

mk

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Hopefully SCRAMP will give this open exhaust weekend, previously slated to motorcyle racing, to one of the many clubs that have supported them and their charitable organizations for multiple years instead of giving it away to one of their friends who've never run an event there before....

You bet I'm bitter. We've raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for them over the past 10 years and we don't even get a call. Instead they have cocktails with these principals and bingo, they get 1 of the 4 weekends per year that are unlimited sound. Love to run there uncorked, but it won't be with this event. Hell I bet the majority of cars there will be street cars with mufflers. Did I mention I'm bitter?...
Old 09-03-2009 | 06:47 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

I don't really know what JR Gordon is talking about... or why he'd expect a call. A lot of groups have rented Laguna Seca through the years, going back more than 10 most likely. I am not sure what he means by raising money....

SCRAMP is obviously free to do what they want. A few years ago a group with a longterm track weekend "slot" forgot to call by the deadline, and "lost their annual date." They have not been able to get back in the pecking order... despite having SCRAMP officials in their midst.

In any case, SCRAMP has to make what they consider the best use of this fourth unrestricted weekend.... and its up to them to decide what that best use is.
Old 09-03-2009 | 09:52 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
I don't really know what JR Gordon is talking about....

I am not sure what he means by raising money....

SCRAMP is obviously free to do what they want..... and its up to them to decide what that best use is.
Obviously. The track is a part of the Monterey County Park system and operated by SCRAMP (Sports Car Racing Association of the Monterey Peninsula). The profits from the operation of the track are funneled to various local charities. Any group that rents the facilites has to donate to one of their local charities in addition to the expenses of renting the facilities. That's their deal. We have rented the same August weekend for 10 years now raising an average of about $50k per year for SCRAMP's charities.

My disappointment is that when the motocross event cancelled on this open sound weekend, 1 of only 4 per year, SCRAMP went outside all their clubs and organizations that have supported them for years and offered this event to a completly new group that has never run any racing event that I can find. At least they were smart enough to hire 'Hooked On Driving', a reputable DE promoter to run the driving portions of the event. We would have sacrificed first borns to have the opportunity to run 'uncorked' there as would any of their other long-time supporters. Many of our high HP cars don't even attend our event as it takes too much from their motors to make sound.

Again obviously SCRAMP can do whatever they like. They're a municipal organization with all the power of the County. Hell they just terminated the 36 year agreement with General Racing, the creator and producer of the Rolex Monterey Historic Automobile Races.

I'm just bitter they chose NOT to offer this weekend to any of their long term supporters.
Old 09-03-2009 | 12:49 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

I understand your comments a little better now. By "we," I assume you mean the Porsche Owners Club. I'd guess that your August event does contribute substantially to the area-- perhaps more than any other group on a per event basis, given the way it has been traditionally structured. I have been at the POC event a few times and it was fun.

I have no idea why SCRAMP did what they did. You might want to ask them.

What I don't understand is your comment that: "we would have sacrificed first borns to have the opportunity to run 'uncorked' there as would any of their other long-time supporters." I have spoken with some of the organizers of this event and they have been cordial and welcoming. They committed to an all-Porsche group well-before there were expressions of interest to support the decision. And as far as I know, qualified POC racers are most welcome-- heck a few are even going.

So if there is so much strong desire to run there without sound restrictions, folks should/should have signed up.

Now I might guess that the POC wouldn't want two weekends, so might have wanted to give up the August event for this weekend instead. I could see how any group might want out of an existing agreement so they could have an even-more-likely-to-be successful event with no sound restrictions. And I can envision the POC and/or POC drivers establishing schedules early on that make this Uncorked event timing awkward or impossible.

Whatever the circumstances, I am sorry for your disappointment, but the fact remains, qualified Porsche drivers do have an opportunity to run in this event, POC members included as far as I know.

I might conjecture that SCRAMP prefer to have a wide variety of marques represented in what is their community appreciation event... not just one. And they will have both motorcycles and cars.

Hopefully the event will be a success for all involved. And hopefully it will present an annual opportunity. And not just for Porsche racing cars.

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca Racing Opportunity, September, No Sound Restrictions