Sponsored by:

Laguna Seca Racing Opportunity, September, No Sound Restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Laguna Seca Racing Opportunity, September, No Sound Restrictions

There is a new opportunity to race at Laguna Seca WITHOUT sound restrictions. The dates for this year are September 12 and 13. And as it just so happens, there is a PCA Golden Gate Region DE/Time Trial and Club Race the weekend before at Thunderhill, another great NorCal track.

The Laguna event is being put on by Club Auto Sport, and you can get details here: http://www.clubautosport.net/uncorked. They have asked the Porsche Racing Club about having an all-Porsche racing group at this event, and there is a poll on the PRC web site, trying to gauge interest: www.prc-racing.com. Even if there is not enough interest in an all-Porsche group, I believe that the organizers are accepting individual entries from licensed Porsche racing drivers. The proceeds from the event go to a charity.

This type of opportunity is unprecedented in recent years. It is a paid spectator event with no sound restrictions. I raced in a similar event back in 2004 and it was simply a blast.

- Mike
Old 06-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Oops, spectators are going to get in free, and the event will be heavily promoted from what I understand.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:34 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Ill probably be out there to give rides in the race car for the sponsors. If there is a race, certainly I would be game for that!

I remember the race in 2004. That was a blast. Part of the US sports car invitational, right?

Anyway, you should go to our race at Laguna THIS next weekend at LAGUNA. 103db and 2 races!
The Pirelli cup guys will be racing in the group 3 section. (about 15-20 GT3s I imagine)
Group 1 will have the usual ITE players. NSX turbo, Griggs mustang, 928, S2000SC, vipers, vets, etc.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Yes, in 2004 we had two PCA Club Race groups as part of the US Sports Car Invitational. Pre-GrandAm. A three day event.

Some of the cars in each race group came in on transporters with full pro support. The two races were won by guys who brought their own cars to the event, one on an open trailer-- (that car even had license plates)! The crowd got a kick out of that, asking for autographs, et cetera.

I have no desire to race with SCCA this year. Would require $$ changes to the car, an SCCA license and membership, and $$ to only drive twice a day. No thanks.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:59 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

what would you need to do to your car to meet SCCA rules?

I dont know about you, but these days its all about preserving equipment. I dont like to run the car unless its for a purpose. (i.e. qualifying or race) 2 times a day is fine by me. sometimes Ive even missed the qual and just shown up for the race

mk

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Yes, in 2004 we had two PCA Club Race groups as part of the US Sports Car Invitational. Pre-GrandAm. A three day event.

Some of the cars in each race group came in on transporters with full pro support. The two races were won by guys who brought their own cars to the event, one on an open trailer-- (that car even had license plates)! The crowd got a kick out of that, asking for autographs, et cetera.

I have no desire to race with SCCA this year. Would require $$ changes to the car, an SCCA license and membership, and $$ to only drive twice a day. No thanks.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Met some of the organizers at Club Auto Sport in San Jose last night. Great folks and a neat business/facility. Lot of cool cars, including some Porsches.

More details are forthcoming, but one thing they told me/us is that for folks wishing to run Thunderhill with PCA/GGR and then their Laguna event, transporters can be stored in the intervening week at Club Auto Sport. It is very close to the San Jose airport and right off of the Interstate 880.

They also indicated that the entry includes the Friday night welcome BBQ in the paddock, and admission for the entrant and one guest to the Saturday awards banquet.

Their hope is that this will be the first of what will become an annual event.

- Mike
Old 06-13-2009, 02:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Another thing you might have not known, is during these double regionals, there are two races . It might seem it takes $$ to run only 2 times a day, but for some of use that is plenty. You also have to remember, our races are longer, and usually go on without any cations. The other thing is that you can enter in SP in Group 3, where the Pirelli Cup guys will be running in GT2 and get double the track time. More track time and races than you would ever get in a PCA event. can you handle 2 full hours of races, PLUS 2 practices, and 4 qualifing sessions? Its a huge bargain for about $650 ($490 for one group)

anyway, what is your car missing to be able to run?

The Club Auto Sport event looks great. I have a few friends involved, and will try and make it. However, it is between my already packed SCCA racing schedule in September.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:45 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Did I read this right..........$750 entry for 2 hrs of track time? With that ambitious lineup, it does sound like PRC would get 1 hr/day of that schedule. Laguna may be nice, but it's not THAT nice......
Old 06-13-2009, 11:49 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

and Mike was concerned about SCCA racing track time?

Its 4 races, 4 qual and 2 practices, that is over 5 hours of track time.

Laguna is nice and we race there with porsches, ferarris, vipers , vets , mustangs, NsXs, S2000with blowers for 6 races per year with SCCA! (or 12 if you run in the unlimited group as well)

mk
Originally Posted by race911
Did I read this right..........$750 entry for 2 hrs of track time? With that ambitious lineup, it does sound like PRC would get 1 hr/day of that schedule. Laguna may be nice, but it's not THAT nice......
Old 07-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Bumping this. It is a charity event with a lot of promotion and added value aspects. If there are enough Porsche entrants, a marque-specific group is possible. And don't forget that travelers can do a 2-fer with the PCA-GGR Club Race/DE/Time Trial. Club Auto Sport in San Jose will even store rigs between events at no charge.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Ill be there for the main event with my car. Im not sure if Ill run the race, but I might be able to be talked into it if it is a short and low key race. we have the SCCA double regional the following weekend at laguna. by the way, it is also a low sound restriction day, with the ability to run 4 races, 4 quals 2 practices for a fairly low cost.

Should be an awesome event with the Club AutoSport folks! I hope they can pull off the race.

mk

Bumping this. It is a charity event with a lot of promotion and added value aspects. If there are enough Porsche entrants, a marque-specific group is possible. And don't forget that travelers can do a 2-fer with the PCA-GGR Club Race/DE/Time Trial. Club Auto Sport in San Jose will even store rigs between events at no charge.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:02 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Mike,

I'll be there in my "new" GTS car. The event sounds like allot of fun. I don't simply measure a track event by the number of hours of track time that I pay for. The money will go to a very good organization and I know I will enjoy the off track social events. I've asked Rich to fit some straight pipes!
Old 07-16-2009, 06:26 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

That about it with SCCA (a little more time and more races with SCCA at laguna). I dont know what the Club Autosport weekend will offer.

Laguna is nice, and thats a GREAT price if you are a racer. I dont know about you, but I dont have the funds to just run my car to run it. I want to race it, and generally one practice is all I want or need. I've even skipped practice on occasion

With SCCA you get a 2 race weekend with 2 qual and 1 practice for about $490These are 30min races that usually go green flag to flag. If you add $160 you get another race and qual. thats $650 for 3, 30 min races with awesome competition. (and 3 qual sessions and 2 practices.) That's about 3.5 hours of track time. Now, compare that to the POC weekends Ive run or seen, they are charging near $600 and you get 2 20-25 min races that usually end up being 10 laps with a bunch of cautions, and 2 days worth of 4 sessions each (20min) so,it ends up being less than 3 hours of track time, minus the usual issues a group, not normally visiting Laguna will have.

So, in the end, if you want sheer track time, SCCA is the best, if you want up to 4 very competitive races over a weekend, SCCA is the best.
And, if you want to go to Laguna and run 103db all weekend, SCCA is the best.
This even is the one slot a year where sometimes you can run open pipes. This hasnt happened since our PCA weekend US Sportcar Championship race weekend back in '03 I think. Again, this is a charity , pro type event, where the focus is on the cars and the racing of them, not of track time

Originally Posted by race911
Old 07-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Confirmed All-Porsche Group!

The folks at Club Auto Sport in San Jose, CA have provided some additional details about their upcoming Uncorked event in September at Laguna Seca.

Please note:

This is a special event, with an all-Porsche racing opportunity.

There is also a PCA Club Race hosted by the Golden Gate Region at Thunderhill Raceway Park the weekend before. They promise lots of track time at a great venue. So if you are traveling, you can do a two-fer. And rigs can be parked at Club Auto Sport in San Jose in the intervening week at no charge. Easy freeway access, very secure and about 2/3's of the way from Thunderhill to Laguna Seca.

For info on the PCA-GGR Club Race, visit the GGR website.

For information/application packets for the Club Auto Sport event, you can contact Club Auto Sport or Masuo Robinson of the Porsche Racing Club (masuo@prc-racing.com; www-prc-racing.com).

Here are the details:

Just a reminder about the Club Auto Sport Uncorked event at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca on September 12/13. This is one of only 5 OPEN SOUND weekends per year at Mazda Raceway.

We are going to have one ALL PORSCHE grid. There will be two classes - a vintage class and a PRC class. We will run this grid with a split start. David Ray from Hooked on Driving is running the grid for this event and we will have Masuo work with him to make sure the grid is run as close to the way you normally operate as possible. This is guaranteed to be one of the premiere grids that the spectators will want to see. It is always more fun to race when there are lots of people watching. We are anticipating over 5000 spectators. I explain more about his below.

This is a charity event. All the proceeds will benefit the SPCA for Monterey County, which is located directly across the highway from the race track entrance. For your entry fee of $750 for the weekend you will get:

6 Track sessions – NO SOUND RESTRICTIONS!!
1 Practice session, 1 Qualifying session, & 1 Race each day
1 Event shirt
4 Tickets to Friday Evening Welcome BBQ in the Paddock
4 Hot-pit passes (Driver + 3 Crew)
1 “Uncorked” video
2 Tickets to Saturday Evening Banquet in the Red Bull Center
Weekend access for you and a guest to the Club Auto Sport Hospitality area

If you send in your application before August 1st you will get preference as well as 2 additional tickets to our Saturday Evening Banquet. You can go to our web site at http://www.clubautosport.net/uncorked to get the latest information and download the entry packet.

This is also a community appreciation weekend for Mazda Raceway which means that spectators can come for FREE. With all of the attractions for spectators, in addition to being free of charge, we are anticipating somewhere between 5000 and 10,000 spectators. Besides the races and race cars in the paddock, we are going to have a vintage motorcycle race group and lots of special motorcycles on display in the paddock including some of the Bonneville racers. We will also have Clean Tech / Alternative Fuels Pavilion with vehicles on display as well as taking some exhibition laps at lunch time. We will also have car and motorcycle club corrals and allow some of them to take parade laps on the track during lunch. Danny Sullivan, multiple Indy 500 winner, will be there and will be giving rides, via the Ride of Your Life program through the HSCRS (Historic Stock Car Racing Series), in one of the #43 Richard Petty cars. There will be a canine agility show put on by the SPCA and more.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Spent the day at the Historics at Laguna Seca yesterday. Lots of very cool cars at the track. The drivers and crews all seemed to really like interacting with the spectators.

The upcoming Club Auto Sport Uncorked event still has openings for qualified Porsche racers in the all-Porsche group. Unlimited sound, fun racing and a great opportunity to mix and mingle in the paddock with fellow racers and crews, and what is hoped to be a large crowd of spectators. For more details, including registration materials, please visit http://www.clubautosport.net/uncorked.html.

The last time I raced at Laguna in front of spectators was in 2004, and it was a blast!

And don't forget, if you want a Northern California "twofer," the PCA Golden Gate Region will have a DE/Time Trial and Club Race at Thunderhill Raceway Park the preceding weekend (www.pca-ggr.org). Club Auto Sport has agreed to provide secure storage for race car trailers and rigs between the two events at their convenient location right off of the freeway in San Jose-- between the two venues.

Of course, spectators are welcome at both events, and there is no charge for admission.

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca Racing Opportunity, September, No Sound Restrictions