Reccomended shops in Columbus Ohio area for alignment on 944 racer

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:28 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reccomended shops in Columbus Ohio area for alignment on 944 racer

Howdy Everyone,
Anyone in the Columbus Ohio area that would reccomend a local race shop, car builder, etc, that can 'properly' do an alignment on an early 944?

My 84 944 is all bone stock suspension, but I've got crazy overstear, which tells me something is not right. Car drives straight and tracks straight (in a straight line) and does not pull toward either side when hard on the brakes. When you yank the wheel, the rear end feels like it wants to kick out or when in a turn it feels like the rear is coming around. Thinking I have too much toe out in the rear or too little camber ??

So I'm looking for shop reccomendations, over just going to NTB and hoping for good service. I have my first HPDE with NASA (in this car) in July at Mid Ohio so I'm not terribly presses for time but I don't want to drag my feet either.

Suppose my other option is String and protractor and give it a whirl myself.

Tom
Old 06-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Barfly
Racer

http://www.autoassets.com/

Chip Vance is a good guy.

______
Jason
Old 06-03-2009, 03:18 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

[QUOTE=pyruvate;6620810]http://www.autoassets.com/

Chip Vance is a good guy.

QUOTE]

Argh! I wouldn't use Auto Assets again even if my life depended on it. Auto Assets took my car to the dealer for a corner balance, ride height and alignment without telling me and had the nerve to mark up the dealer's bill. Stick around and I am sure more horror stories will emerge. I know Chip's a nice guy and all but...

Go to Bill Brauksick at Performance Alignment in Cincinnati. He is well worth the trip!

www.performance-alignment.com
Old 06-03-2009, 03:50 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Precision Frame and Body in West Chester did my 993 when I bought it from Al Coleman 3 years ago; well recommended and I was happy with the results 513/777-4600
Old 06-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 190 Posts

Tom, Check out The North End Wrench in Columbus. I know he offers a complete alignment service, but I don't know if he has corner balancing scales. It's worth a shot, Dave is a stand up guy, and he has raced Porsches for years. Also, I'm going to send you a PM
Old 06-03-2009, 10:51 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Tom;
PM sent.
And tell him I sent you.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:33 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Check to see if you have broken or disconnected mounts to the front sway bar. This may not be an alignment issue.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:49 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

All of the suspension is solid, all mounts are good, everything is tight. Thanks for the idea though.

Tomorrow I'm heading over to a friend's who has a 4 post lift. We're gonna try the old school way with string and such. I figure it's only my time investment and if it does not get better, then I go to a shop. That's after we head up to Nelson's for the 944 fest.

I'll post back how the attempt goes

Tom
Old 06-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

I live in Columbus and DO NOT have my car don in Columbus. Steinels in Twinsburg or Roger in Cinci.
PM me for more opinions I like others here learned the hard way.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ +1 on Steinels. Eric is the zen master of track setup for these cars.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:24 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the reccommedations !

This past sunday i got motivated and did some tinkering on my own with some string, tape measure, and a angle gauge.

The front had slight toe in, I reduced that to near zero. The rear had toe in on one side, none on the other side. As it turns out you need a 'special tool' for the toe adjust on the rear; luckily I have a mill/lathe in my garage so I fabb'd my own tool up and got both sides(in the rear) equalled.

Looks like I will need to remeasure and tweak things because after a road test, I have better handling in lefties vs right turns, although road conditions may be factor. I plan to run the same roads back so see if that changes anything. (country roads just are not the same from mile to mile

Way I see it, I can tinker with the car for while and if I don't get it spot on the way i like it, then I'll open up the wallet and let Mr Franklin and his co workers out ! (That's what I get for reading up on home alignment)

Tom

Quick Reply: Reccomended shops in Columbus Ohio area for alignment on 944 racer