Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on this trailer (24 ft Enclosed)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:08 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Guys,

Pace American has a promo (from the Indiana factory anyway) on virtually all their steel framed car haulers:
- Outback
- Rallye
- Pursuit
- Shadow

There are a couple of option packages for the most popular sizes with either 3500# or 5000# axles.

The savings are pretty substantial.
Chris:

Do they show the price or do I have to call them. I went to the Pace site and really did not see anything. Call Pace or a dealer? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Chris:

Do they show the price or do I have to call them. I went to the Pace site and really did not see anything. Call Pace or a dealer? Thanks.
Call a dealer. My company is a dealer and we draw from the Indiana plant. I'm not sure if the other plants are offering promos but Indiana is. We ordered a couple of units for stock.

Go to www.paceamerican.com and click on the dealer locator to find your local dealer.

If they don't know what you're talking about shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send you some info.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:15 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Joe:

Newbie guy here looking at these great posts on Renn forum. Did you ever get this trailer? Is 24 ft enough room for a 944 and its support going all the way to Newfoundland Canada. I would like to use my Chevy Avalanche with 8100 lbs tow capapcity and not have to get a new trailer for the new car AND a new new truck !
I got a 24 footer. Works perfect for my 944. The car goes right the back edge of the side door. That leaves me all the space in front for gear & little bench. Plus I have about 2 feet behind the car for light cargo. The good thing is that with this space I can center the car to create the balance I want. The 24ft size is really nice since the front bench area is fully accessable with the the car loaded in. I have enough room to carry the car and create a nice work area at the track. The trailer is bigger than it needs to be to just carry the car, but the space allows me to not be crammed in at all. This means faster pack up and unpacking at the track. I probably could carry the same stuff in 20footer, but would not have access I do like this. When I got this trailer I was not worrying about carrying gear, but wanted to access it fast and not spend too muich time pack and unpacking. I hate that.

I have a couple cots I put in the back of the trailer over the axles. These simple folding frame units. I pulled these out and the wife and daughter and I camped at the track this past march. Worked out really well. I could not have been happier with this unit. Plus I got it for very nice price.

I will have to dig up photo showing where the car sits relative to the door.

I ended up getting a 7k trailer. So with the car and gear I am very close to 7k. My 2500 dodge has no issues towing the trailer.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:18 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
It's not just the axles that are lighter when comparing a trailer with a GVWR of 7000# to a trailer with a GVWR of 10000#.

Tires are bigger and stronger.
Bearings are larger.
Brakes are larger.
Wheel studs go from 5 to 6 per wheel.
Frame of trailer is heavier.

All are correct except the last one. The frame on most trailers is the same for 7k or 10k rated. You are correct on the axles. They are the souce of the rating. Of course axles are sold as an assembly to 5k axles compared to 3.5k axles are different and include the springs, bearings, brakes and 6 lug wheels with larger tires too.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:48 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I, and others, have found that the 7k trailer (with the same load) is an easier pull. Narrower tires provide less rolling resistance as well.

Ed
Old 03-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by M758
All are correct except the last one. The frame on most trailers is the same for 7k or 10k rated. You are correct on the axles. They are the souce of the rating. Of course axles are sold as an assembly to 5k axles compared to 3.5k axles are different and include the springs, bearings, brakes and 6 lug wheels with larger tires too.
Brain fart. I was thinking frame is bigger when you go from a 24' to a 26' & larger. 8" I-Beam vs. 6" on a Pace.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

It is true though that often times the trailer with 5000# axles comes with a triple tube tongue vs. a double tube on a trailer with 3500# axles.

Quick Reply: Opinions on this trailer (24 ft Enclosed)