More advice on utility trailers

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts
Default More advice on utility trailers

Hi All,
I am looking to pull a utility trailer behind my 986 and possibly behind my 997 (if that car starts to see track time down the line).
I spoke with Trailex about their lightweight Tire Toter which is a really nice option but the shipping cost to MA will be prohibitive (700 bucks!).
I know many people use Harbor Freight and I've gotten some nice pics from BXSTRBOB.

I basically want to be able to carry 4 tires and my basic tools. I figure I can use the car's trunk space for personal belongings and food etc.

This is an interesting trailer from HF which has a 55x35" space with galvanized steel sides. The rear side is removable. It holds 800 lbs and is 350 bucks. It has 8" wheels which is not great.

This one seems popular with the DE crown and is 40x50" with a steel deck. It has 12" wheels and is 280 bucks. I would need to fabricate some means of strapping on tires. I would imagine mounting a tool box would be easy enough.

What do you guys think?
Old 05-28-2009, 02:16 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

second one.

Bigger wheels, cheaper and smaller. You don't want to pull too much with a small trailer like that.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dave,
If you can, head out to Atlantic Coast Trailers, Rte 20, Charlton MA
www.actrailers.com

They have every trailer, from $500K stackers down to utility trailers.
They are all also racers, so they know trailers and towing. Very nice and knowledgeable guys. Excellent service department (for hitches, brake controllers, trailer service, etc).

Last time I was there, they had aluminum utility trailers (I like aluminum..light, no rust, excellent value and resale)
Old 05-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Dave,
If you can, head out to Atlantic Coast Trailers, Rte 20, Charlton MA
www.actrailers.com

They have every trailer, from $500K stackers down to utility trailers.
They are all also racers, so they know trailers and towing. Very nice and knowledgeable guys. Excellent service department (for hitches, brake controllers, trailer service, etc).

Last time I was there, they had aluminum utility trailers (I like aluminum..light, no rust, excellent value and resale)
Good to know Lewis!
Thanks, I will definitely give them a call.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:32 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,
I am considering a utility trailer as well and have found the selection limited. I have spoken to a number of guys that have HB trailers and are happy with them. I just saw one with the 12" wheels this past weekend and it seems to be decent. I did hear that you can order these with better wheel bearings but I have yet to confirm this. I myself like 40X50 the larger wheels and an open deck. This size allows you to either stack or keep your tires in one line. The standard size storage boxes also seem to fit well. My biggest concern is are these really made for highway speeds for long periods of time? I have yet to figure this one out.

I have the name of a company that makes hitches specifically for Porsche's. The name is on my other computer at home so I will let you know the name shortly. Do you have a source for the hitch yet?
Tom
Old 05-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TAI2
Dave,
I am considering a utility trailer as well and have found the selection limited. I have spoken to a number of guys that have HB trailers and are happy with them. I just saw one with the 12" wheels this past weekend and it seems to be decent. I did hear that you can order these with better wheel bearings but I have yet to confirm this. I myself like 40X50 the larger wheels and an open deck. This size allows you to either stack or keep your tires in one line. The standard size storage boxes also seem to fit well. My biggest concern is are these really made for highway speeds for long periods of time? I have yet to figure this one out.

I have the name of a company that makes hitches specifically for Porsche's. The name is on my other computer at home so I will let you know the name shortly. Do you have a source for the hitch yet?
Tom
I was thinking about using the Will Wood hitch: www.willwoodsystem.com
This is the company that makes the hitch that hides behind the license plate a la James Bond.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:55 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, that's the one. I saw one some weeks ago - very nice!
Old 05-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I myself am looking into the second one for my weekend track toy. It's the best one out there.

C.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:01 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,
Check out the classifieds on NCR website - www.ncr-pca.org - member is selling tire trailer (and maybe the hitch) that he used behind his Boxster..... I think it's in Mass ! Like $300 for the trailer and $ 100 for hitch.....
Old 05-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIG-BRO
Dave,
Check out the classifieds on NCR website - www.ncr-pca.org - member is selling tire trailer (and maybe the hitch) that he used behind his Boxster..... I think it's in Mass ! Like $300 for the trailer and $ 100 for hitch.....
I had just emailed him! Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Dave,
You may want to take a look at this utility trailer...tires on top, everything else stored underneath, locked up and secure.
Keeps everything out of your car.

http://www.snoprotrailers.com/model....D=7&ModelID=21

http://www.snoprotrailers.com/slides...eryImageID=436
http://www.snoprotrailers.com/slides...eryImageID=437
Old 05-28-2009, 06:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Although Southsport is out of business, their tire tote/trailer was the best IMHO.
You can still find them used occasionally...

Old 05-28-2009, 06:55 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Picture of a DIY

Old 05-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the research Lewis!
That SnoPro one is kinda cool and I think it would be easy enough to adapt the racks for carrying tires. I think the DIY on that turbo looks like the Harbor Freight.
Decisions, decisions.
I agree that Southsport is really nice,....I haven't been able to find one though.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

The SnoPro (actually Cargopro which was Thule...same company in Maine) is a nice unit. Yes, it is a simple matter of fitting a tire rack to the top racks. The security of having everything locked inside is also nice. It's aluminum, so no issues with tongue weight/towing.

Dave and the guys at Atlantic Coast can take care of it (they are the largest Cargopro trailer dealer in the US) and delivery from Maine is fast and cheap.

One word on the DIY's...talk to your insurance company first. You are liable if something falls off (tire rack, toolbox, etc) while towing.

I had a Southsport unit for a short time, it was sold and replaced with a 24' aluminum enclosed trailer....you know, the whole slippery slope thing.
(worked out OK, since the trailer was used for my son's karting programme...it was nice having a large trailer to work inside, especially when its raining).
If I do stumble across one for sale, I'll pass it along to you.

Quick Reply: More advice on utility trailers