Sponsored by:

More advice on utility trailers

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:40 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Keep in mind that the Willwood hitch, which I've used, and is a very nice piece of kit, can only handle a very small tongue weight. I would go for as light of a trailer as you can get, and be careful about having it balanced when it is loaded. I was using a cheap 48" trailer that I bought from Harbor Freight. Served my needs very well until I bought a car hauler. ...which will come very soon for you Dave.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:47 PM
kilnred
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apologies for the thread hijack, but I do have a SouthSport for sale in North Carolina. I towed it with my 951. But since its demise, I just haven't been able to bite the bullet to put a hitch on my 986.

Brian

bpowell1960_at_windstream.net
Old 05-30-2009, 08:19 AM
dmilzoff
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

The Southsport in the pics above (behind the 996TT) is mine. (Once you file pics on the web, they are around forever!)
The trailer worked fine for 2 years, doing 2 - 3 hour treks to local tracks at 70 mph. It was slightly larger than the Harbor Freight, allowing the wider TT tires. I also have the Will Wood hitch on the 996TT. It worked great.
The trailer is for sale if anyone wants it. I no longer use the 996TT for the track.
$ 250, Westchester, NY.
dmilzoff@usa.net
Old 05-30-2009, 08:30 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be interested to know about maintenance of the wheel bearings and tires on these over time.

Also, I was looking at the HF site and I believe their trailer is not for speeds above 40MPH - other sites with open car trailers sometimes say 60 MPH max. But everyone I know tows at 80ish no matter what they're pulling. Are the speed suggestions from mfgrs just to cover their assets, or ???
Old 05-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by dmilzoff
(Once you file pics on the web, they are around forever!)
Yeah, my old girlfriend never forgave me.

Originally Posted by dmilzoff
The trailer worked fine for 2 years, doing 2 - 3 hour treks to local tracks at 70 mph. It was slightly larger than the Harbor Freight, allowing the wider TT tires. I also have the Will Wood hitch on the 996TT. It worked great.
The trailer is for sale if anyone wants it. I no longer use the 996TT for the track.
$ 250, Westchester, NY.
dmilzoff@usa.net
David, is your trailer a Southsport or a modified Harbor Freight? I thought all the Southsports had the diamond plate chests on the back. Either way, I'm interested.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
Keep in mind that the Willwood hitch, which I've used, and is a very nice piece of kit, can only handle a very small tongue weight. I would go for as light of a trailer as you can get, and be careful about having it balanced when it is loaded. I was using a cheap 48" trailer that I bought from Harbor Freight. Served my needs very well until I bought a car hauler. ...which will come very soon for you Dave.
Stop saying that Mike!
I don't want to dig up that list you made because I'm afraid it's been accurate thus far.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:23 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Stop saying that Mike!
I don't want to dig up that list you made because I'm afraid it's been accurate thus far.
Been there, done that.

The utility trailer approach is a very good one btw. It really opens up your ability to bring all the stuff you need to the track but can't fit into your car without the trailer. I went with it for about a year. You'll have no regrets.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I recommend 13" tires MINIMUM.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

David, is your trailer a Southsport or a modified Harbor Freight? I thought all the Southsports had the diamond plate chests on the back. Either way, I'm interested.
The trailer behind the 996TT on page 1 is not a Southsport.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:12 PM
dmilzoff
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I do not believe my trailer is a Southport. I tried looking up my records but couldn't find my source. It is not Harbor Freight. The open deck makes the trailer a little lighter.
The open steel deck is 51 wide" x 40". The HF is 40" wide. I needed the extra width for my tires.
12" Wheels
Max. load capacity: 1560 lbs
Regarding the speed rating on the trailer - I do not condone pulling this trailer above the manufacturer's recommended max. speed, nor do I condone speeding above the stated speed limit.
The trailer was used for 5 track events and has not been used for 2 - 3 years. Although I know that the lights are functional, I have not replaced or repacked the wheel bears and no other work has been done to it.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:04 PM
pojefferson
Rennlist Member

Hi All,
I am looking to pull a utility trailer behind my 986 and possibly behind my 997 (if that car starts to see track time down the line).
I spoke with Trailex about their lightweight Tire Toter which is a really nice option but the shipping cost to MA will be prohibitive (700 bucks!).
I know many people use Harbor Freight and I've gotten some nice pics from BXSTRBOB.

I basically want to be able to carry 4 tires and my basic tools. I figure I can use the car's trunk space for personal belongings and food etc.

This is an interesting trailer from HF which has a 55x35" space with galvanized steel sides. The rear side is removable. It holds 800 lbs and is 350 bucks. It has 8" wheels which is not great.

This one seems popular with the DE crown and is 40x50" with a steel deck. It has 12" wheels and is 280 bucks. I would need to fabricate some means of strapping on tires. I would imagine mounting a tool box would be easy enough.

What do you guys think?
Hi Dave, we know either other through PCA NCR/NER events at NHMS; also I am a fellow Cantabrigian. Anyway, I've been doing some research in preparation for build a tire/tool trailer. The trailer in the lower photo is interesting (one I have not seen). Can you tell me where to find more information on it?
Old 02-04-2011, 05:23 PM
jharding
Rennlist Member

I have a HB trailer with tool box, rack, spare tire/wheel, and locks available in NH. I had no problem towing it from NH to Mt Tremblant, to LRP, etc. $250 for everything. I'll also include the wiring harness to the car's brake lights (that mates with the trailer harness). PM me if interested. I want it gone!

Thank you,
Old 02-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pojefferson
Hi Dave, we know either other through PCA NCR/NER events at NHMS; also I am a fellow Cantabrigian. Anyway, I've been doing some research in preparation for build a tire/tool trailer. The trailer in the lower photo is interesting (one I have not seen). Can you tell me where to find more information on it?
Hi.
Stan Corbett and Joe Billmaier both built new utility trailers last season which are really nice. I'll PM you Stan's email address. Maybe he can tell you the trailer type and tool box that he mounted and how he built the tire rack.
Dave
Old 02-04-2011, 06:43 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I built one similar to Joel's (got my hitch from him)....if you search tire trailer in the 944 forum you'll find picks including notes about how I mounted my tires.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,

I find it funny Phil brought this post back to life. Less than two years ago you were looking for a little trailer to tow behind your street boxer. Look at you now, spec boxster, dodge diesel, super fancy enclosed trailer.

Nice hobby, huh.

Quick Reply: More advice on utility trailers