Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there "etiquette" when posting vids of a crash you are not involved in??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:40 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And now I'm wondering about the converse situation; a guy crashes into me and has the video but won't post it. We (R-listers) were hovering like vultures a few months ago to see this one, and it died out. I'd just love to see it.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:42 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
The above comments are good ones and ones I will think about OVER AND OVER
I don't think you will have to. The same comments will keep getting posted over and over and over and over and over...
Old 05-26-2009, 05:50 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is coming from a non racer so take it with a grain of salt but I would only say that a passing two cars in a braking zone unless they are drastically slower, should only be done after the tires and brakes are fully up to temp. Perhaps that's where a little discretion could have been used. It did look tempting with the Ferrari so wide before the turn though.

Other than that Tom is a stand up guy and did more than most would have and hopefully has learned this lesson:

START ON POLE!!!

LOL.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:18 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I havent read all the posts here, but watched the video. Very cool group of cars by the way. Such a shame you had the incident, but it does happen. I would bet dollars to donuts that you have heard enough about you learning from the experience. one car pass in that turn would have been enough!
I just got hit in similar fashion a couple of races ago and it really pissed me off, but I'm still talking and new friends with the new guy that hit me and he was sorry. Heck, as long as we all get better and dont repeat our mistakes, right. No need to push that hard in making low percentage moves in our type of racing. what is the prize money?
thanks for posting the video. good stuff. (until the contact)

The fact that you stepped up and offered to pay for the mistake, speaks a lot of the type of person you are. Certainly, you are not obligated, but in cases were there is clear fault, I think it should be offered. Someone that hit me in WCGT did the exact same thing, but he was a slower car, and paid for my wheel and I still finished the race near the same spot where I would have. I felt bad for him because his damage was more and most of all, he didnt finish his first pro race!
You are a gentleman! good for you.

what race group was that by the way??

mk
thanks Mark, it was R-2 at PBOC
Old 05-27-2009, 09:45 PM
944na guy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe, You might want to think about tipping the tow drivers. It is a nice gesture for guys that dont make much and the next time they are pulling your car out, they might take a little better care of it than they have to. They have a lot of discretion on how your car arrives back to the paddock. As for bearing failure and hitting other drivers because of it... Who maintains the bearings on your car? As you say, you offered nothing since you are on a budget. Hopefully the guy your racing by next month spent money on bearings and not on fenders that you smashed in.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:58 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 944na guy
Joe, You might want to think about tipping the tow drivers. It is a nice gesture for guys that dont make much and the next time they are pulling your car out, they might take a little better care of it than they have to. They have a lot of discretion on how your car arrives back to the paddock.
Hmm sure I pull a 5er from my race suit since I always carry cash during a race. And for the wheel bearing I drove the car back in albeit at slow pace following the tow crew and cutting over escape roads. I have never seen a tow crew tipped for any work here in Az races. I have been going to the track for 10 years and never heard of it. Maybe it is east coast thing where every one expects being tipped for anything.

Originally Posted by 944na guy
As for bearing failure and hitting other drivers because of it... Who maintains the bearings on your car? As you say, you offered nothing since you are on a budget. Hopefully the guy your racing by next month spent money on bearings and not on fenders that you smashed in.
I maintained my own race car bearings included. Post event analysis shows that the outer bearing failed and cage was destroyed. There was enough grease and the grease was clean and not burned. Last time I checked the bearing was when I changed rotors a few months ago. No issues then and I last verifed the proper tightness a month earlier. Not really sure why it failed, but I guess I missed something somewhere. This is the first front wheel bearing I have seen fail on a 944 spec car in 7 years of racing. I won't say it could never happen, but I will say it is rare. If you are implying that I drive unmaintianed POS and therefore put other drivers at risk you have no idea about my car nor how much effort I put into it. All you would need to do is see me and the car at any race weekend to dispel any myth that my car is poorly maintained.

You also seem to be implying that I needed to pay the other guys damage. I completely disagree with that. Another thing to consider is that the other driver chose to go two wide in risky place. I say risky in that if my braking were compromized or I lost control in any way the likely hood that contact would result was high since he was to my outside only 6" away. Now I don't fault him for being as we are both experienced racers in nice battle for position. We both had confidence in each other's ablilty to maintain control of our cars. However when you do drive that you simply have no margin for error. That my friends is just part of racing.

We each race our own cars and need to be responsible for our repairs. The situation could have been reversed and other guys bearing failed and hit me. That other guy happens to be quite wealthy so $400 to him is pocket change. However I would never ask nor even accept and money from him. It was a risk of racing and sometimes bad things happen.

Heck the day before I had or avoid contact from a car that I think really over cooked and came very close to taking me out. I was upset at what I felt was a poor driving choice. Luckily no contact resulted, but even if it did and I felt it were caused by a bonehead move I would still not ask the other driver for thing interms of money or even help to repair.

Damage is risk we all take when racing and if you islolate that damage to your own car you can limit the costs exposure. If you start paying for other guy's cars your cost exposure is now practically unlimited. What if that car on my outside had been a GT3RSR that I hit when my bearing failed. Instead of a minor dent that could have caused $40k of damage or maybe if the driver lost it and hit a wall written off the entire car. What do to then?

Quick Reply: Is there "etiquette" when posting vids of a crash you are not involved in??