Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I race a BMW at the Lime Rock Koni Challenge race?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:15 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

call Automatic and see if they have any seats open, I was at their shop today so I know all the cars are out at limerock haha.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:31 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

I drove the V-pack 330 at Daytona this year with Roger Burdette in the ST race. It was a great car and a great team. The car was quick, low 2.10 first time out on old tires. It's a shame the team isn't going to run. We are planning on building a boxster for ST to run toward the end of the season. Come race with me in a hotrod boxster.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:11 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

really? what was the stuff I was looking at on line that showed the 330i as 275flywheel rated?

Whatever the case, what i wanted to know if ST was allowed any mods to increase power over stock. Guess it looks like about 15hp more or something minor.

Ill have to check out the rules pages to see what those cars weigh. My wife has a 328i that i beat up on . Its not real fast, but it sure handles well. Driving racing M3s on the track is a REAL good time. they handle so much better than my 928 and just do what you tell them to

Here is some schmoe's dyno run of a stock one I found on a random search.
200rwhp for a stock'er 325i so i figure the 330 would be stronger. Looks like 240flywheel about, and I think I read in another site that the 330i had 255flywheel hp as a rating.

Here is the dyno that was done today by vibrant. Completely stock BMW 325i, same vehicle that pulled a 14.7 in the 1/4 mile.

201 whp
182 wtq

Very impressive numbers for a stock BMW.

pictures:

2006 BMW 325I /6 SPD
- Custom Fiberglass Box w/ 12" Type X Alpine
- 19" Staggered Gunmetal Luff's
- Alpine BlackBird GPS Navigation
- Tints (15% all around)
- Brex Halo's
- BlackLine Tails
- ///M Pedal Set
- Eibach ProKit
- OEM Alarm

mk

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
225 crank HP stock, probably 240 in ST trim +/-.

VJ....hahahahahahaaa!!!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-19-2009, 10:05 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
So were the Porsches that finished 1-2 at Homestead, 1 & 3 at NJMP, and 1 & 3 at Laguna illegal? Unless the cars are illegal, it looks to me like Porsche is DOMINATING Koni GS right now, winning 3 out of 4 races. In the one race, Daytona, that a Porsche didn't win, a Porsche finished 4th running a laptime that was 4th fastest for the race.

Looks to me like the only reason Porsches aren't doing well in the team and manufacturer standings is because there are only 2-3 entered in each event. The podium has been 2/3rds Porsche for the last 3 races.
The winning Porsche @ Homestead was Pacific Motorsports Grp.. They were disqualified and fined $10k for running a 3.8 liter motor they "accidentally" received from Porsche. You know how careless Porsche is when selling a new motor.

Matt Bell, driving for Turner MS with Bill Auberlen as team mate is the current driver standing out IMO. At Laguna Matt was teamed with Boris Said, as Auberlen was racing ALMS the same weekend.

Bell dominated the first hour of the Laguna race, leading all but one lap. TMS pitted @ one hour under full course yellow and put Said behind the wheel. Ten minutes later they dnf'ed with a mech. problem.

Bell and Auberlen won Daytona, and Matt put the TMS m3 on the pole @ the next three races, including Laguna. This has never before been done in Grand-Am history!

If Turner can keep the m3 together 'till the end of the race they will win more races.

Phil
Old 05-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
really? what was the stuff I was looking at on line that showed the 330i as 275flywheel rated?

mk
E46 330i (not to be confused with the current E90 330i) had a 3 liter engine rated at 225bhp in street form.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:36 PM
por29
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

MIke,

I've seen you come up through the ranks in PCA and I believe you can drive anything. BMWs are much easier to drive than any Porsche you've ever driven
Go for it.

Bill
Old 05-19-2009, 11:12 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by coryf
I drove the V-pack 330 at Daytona this year with Roger Burdette in the ST race. It was a great car and a great team. The car was quick, low 2.10 first time out on old tires. It's a shame the team isn't going to run. We are planning on building a boxster for ST to run toward the end of the season. Come race with me in a hotrod boxster.
We are pretty bummed out that we can't run it at Lime Rock. If I liked it we were thinking about the Glen and VIR too.

But that Boxster sounds like a blast, keep in touch!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 01:34 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Got it, thanks.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
E46 330i (not to be confused with the current E90 330i) had a 3 liter engine rated at 225bhp in street form.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:41 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I heard that Matt and team lost a few motors already. Whats up with the BMW motor dependability??

Originally Posted by RollingArt
The winning Porsche @ Homestead was Pacific Motorsports Grp.. They were disqualified and fined $10k for running a 3.8 liter motor they "accidentally" received from Porsche. You know how careless Porsche is when selling a new motor.

Matt Bell, driving for Turner MS with Bill Auberlen as team mate is the current driver standing out IMO. At Laguna Matt was teamed with Boris Said, as Auberlen was racing ALMS the same weekend.

Bell dominated the first hour of the Laguna race, leading all but one lap. TMS pitted @ one hour under full course yellow and put Said behind the wheel. Ten minutes later they dnf'ed with a mech. problem.

Bell and Auberlen won Daytona, and Matt put the TMS m3 on the pole @ the next three races, including Laguna. This has never before been done in Grand-Am history!

If Turner can keep the m3 together 'till the end of the race they will win more races.

Phil
Old 05-20-2009, 10:33 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on Automatic Racing & David Russell - great guys. They were headed for a win at Laguna when a part broke. They ran as high as 2nd. They were very quick there (4th fastest lap with a 1:37.2).
Old 05-20-2009, 11:59 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I heard that Matt and team lost a few motors already. Whats up with the BMW motor dependability??
I heard they (TMS) have a new motor program this year with a new engine building co.. Must be having teething problems. Don't know why, it's the same motor they've been racing for years.

Phil
Old 05-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

So were the Porsches that finished 1-2 at Homestead, 1 & 3 at NJMP, and 1 & 3 at Laguna illegal? Unless the cars are illegal, it looks to me like Porsche is DOMINATING Koni GS right now, winning 3 out of 4 races. In the one race, Daytona, that a Porsche didn't win, a Porsche finished 4th running a laptime that was 4th fastest for the race.

Looks to me like the only reason Porsches aren't doing well in the team and manufacturer standings is because there are only 2-3 entered in each event. The podium has been 2/3rds Porsche for the last 3 races.
Yes we won Homestead in a Porsche and no I did not know the motor was big until it was torn into, If anyone watched the race you noticed we were'nt necessarily checking out on anyone (Andy had a faster lap).

Yes we finished P3 in NJ with the right motor. P2 was confiscated by Joey...

Laguna we ran top 5 with a high probability for a podium again if it were not for the #58 Mustang tank commandor. You'll see that on Speed this Saturday. The car was hooked up and again with a 3.6L.

Lime Rock, we have every intention of winning with a Porsche (3.6L)

I have not driven the BMW but I'm hearing it is much easier to drive then the Porsche. Automatic is a great team if you want a BMW, talk to Dave Russell.

And the proper team name is www.motorsporttechnologygroup.com
Old 05-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Polar Peter
I have not driven the BMW but I'm hearing it is much easier to drive then the Porsche.
That's a rumor started by Porsche guys who wear their nomex driving suits to the continental breakfast at the hotel in the morning at a drivers school weekend to explain why their big bad Porsche was passed by an old BMW.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

That's a rumor started by Porsche guys who wear their nomex driving suits to the continental breakfast at the hotel in the morning at a drivers school weekend to explain why their big bad Porsche was passed by an old BMW.

Hey....I've seen those guys!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:36 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey Peter,

thanks for the note, good seeing you at F-Loles, your Scuderia looks great.

Good luck at LRP, maybe I will see you up there.

Quick Reply: Should I race a BMW at the Lime Rock Koni Challenge race?