Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is ballast really the equalizer it is suppose to be ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
You just say that because your fat *** looks good in a race suit. (according to Scott!)
I do look good in the paddock, real good

I do the same **** at ski resorts, $1500 ski suit but no skis. The chicks never pick up on it
Old 05-18-2009, 03:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Dave (VR),

Aerodynamic forces increase with the square of speed, yes. BUT , read the post please! It said that the power required to drive the force didnt go up with the cube of speed, and it does. Dupe said, " no cube". you said, " correct". Its CUBED! (For power required to go faster)

The statement was , (and read more than the first couple of words )

Dupe said: "I believe it is a squared equation, which means that to double your speed you need 4x the power. No cube:"

Let me assist you. aero is a squared equation and that is what he is talking about in the first part of the sentence. BUT, he defines it incorrectly on the second part, and re-emphasizes it with the "no cube". care to read it again and comment?

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Mark, FYI, aerodynamic drag increases at the square of speed.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-18-2009, 04:07 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heisenberg and Schroedinger
Old 05-18-2009, 04:09 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this on. Weight sucks. How much it sucks depends on many things.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:43 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Com'mon VR, you can do it. It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong, and an even bigger one to post it here!

To increase speed, you need to cubie dubie the power.

How can you make all the statements you make, sign your name as master driving instructor and not admit when you make an error. Notice, you lurk here day after day, and there is no desire to maybe learn something new to share with your students? Pretty important concepts when setting up a race car for different tracks with different speed straights. You plug all those drag figures for different wing settings to your telemetry results, and have some pretty good ideas of starting point settings with some obvious trade offs for your race students.

I guess we will have to settle this one too, ON the track at High Plains Drifter Raceway!

DrDupe, you too!

Correct.

Originally Posted by DrJupeman

I believe it is a squared equation, which means that to double your speed you need 4x the power. No cube:

Aerodynamic drag = 1/2 D x A x V^2

where D = air density, A = frontal area, V = velocity relative to the air

Old 05-20-2009, 04:09 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Last chance to come clean VR.

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Com'mon VR, you can do it. It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong, and an even bigger one to post it here!

To increase speed, you need to cubie dubie the power.

How can you make all the statements you make, sign your name as master driving instructor and not admit when you make an error. Notice, you lurk here day after day, and there is no desire to maybe learn something new to share with your students? Pretty important concepts when setting up a race car for different tracks with different speed straights. You plug all those drag figures for different wing settings to your telemetry results, and have some pretty good ideas of starting point settings with some obvious trade offs for your race students.

I guess we will have to settle this one too, ON the track at High Plains Drifter Raceway!

DrDupe, you too!
Old 05-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,575 Likes on 824 Posts

Huh?

What are you babbling about now?

Old 05-20-2009, 05:27 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Ill spell it out for you real simple-like.

1. DrDuperman made a post that power required to push through aero resistance was " NOT Cubed" as speed went up, but squared as he produced an equation for aero drag. (see above post copy)https://rennlist.com/forums/6577967-post50.html

2. You wrote "Correct".

3. I produced the 2nd grade math proving that the power to drive aero resistance goes up with the "Cube" of speed, NOT squared. meaning, as speed goes up double, power required to drive the drag goes up by a factor of 8. (cubed)

I don't like miss information, expecially when it is agreed to by a second sourse.

Im sure if i made a post that VR could only teach and not drive and someone agreed, you would be ALL over it!

Huh?

What are you babbling about now?

Old 05-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Huh?

I agreed that cD increases with the square of speed.

Why are you so bent out of shape (again)? As for your last sentence, I really could not give two schits, Mark. Seriously. I mean no malice here, but what you or others say about me here matters not a whit.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:34 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Just playing VR! If you read the post that you agreed to, what he said was that power doesnt go up cubed, but squared. Cd goes up with square, yes, but that was his reference note below his statement.
You put a VR stamp of approval on that, with "correct", doing no one a service.
You could have put "correct" on a quote of my post, that incorporated drag as a function of speed going up . (after all thats how you get cubed for power requirements . You put correct on DrDupermans quote with said:

"I believe it is a squared equation, which means that to double your speed you need 4x the power. No cube:"

Like I said, I dont like loose ends.

Huh?

I agreed that cD increases with the square of speed.

Why are you so bent out of shape (again)? As for your last sentence, I really could not give two schits, Mark. Seriously. I mean no malice here, but what you or others say about me here matters not a whit.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Just playing VR! If you read the post that you agreed to, what he said was that power doesnt go up cubed, but squared. Cd goes up with square, yes, but that was his reference note below his statement.
You put a VR stamp of approval on that, with "correct", doing no one a service.

Like I said, I dont like lose [SIC] ends.
If I did, I misread it. I thought he was speaking about aero drag, and I agreed it was the square of speed.

However, your pursuit of this, like a rabid dog who hasn't eaten in a week, is a bit unseemly. It's not all about you, Mark, FYI.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:47 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I am hungry. 48hours to testosteron fest racing. I dont like validations of errors.

Ok, you misread it.

Again, just playing with ya!

If I did, I misread it. I thought he was speaking about aero drag, and I agreed it was the square of speed.

However, your pursuit of this, like a rabid dog who hasn't eaten in a week, is a bit unseemly. It's not all about you, Mark, FYI.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

II dont like validations of errors.
Mark, I am not sure if you are aware of the level of breathtaking irony incumbent in the above post.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:55 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

You are a bit hard headed, but thats what we love about you.

Don't kill the messenger...... of Newton!

Just try it VR, it will be so liberating!

repeat after me:

" Your right, i missread the post. DrDupe thought power went up with the square of speed to drive aero drag which is clearly wrong. It does go up with the cube as you mentioned. I skipped to his foot note first."

Mark, I am not sure if you are aware of the level of breathtaking irony incumbent in the above post.

Quick Reply: Is ballast really the equalizer it is suppose to be ?