LSR PCA DE at TWS June 13/14

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 01:50 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Kevin,

As you enter the braking practice area, the portion to the left, and part of the road to the right is used for our green students. However, I think if you wanted to go all the way down to the far end of the right side, you could set up camp there without problem.

For those who are wondering, the track will open up at 3:00 on Friday for dropoff. There is an extra charge for dropoff before 6:00. It's $25 between 3 and 6, and drops to $15 at 6:00.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:52 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kevin,

I would address this directly with the registrar. PCA being more concerned about safety than other groups, I would doubt that we'd encourage small children running around the area unsupervised.

Just my 2cts.

Joost
Old 06-11-2009, 03:37 PM
paralleltangent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He won't be unsupervised. Not by a long shot. I didn't mean to imply that he would be.

There aren't nearly as many cars regularly moving about in close proximity in the area Mike described, so to me it's a safer place for my family when they want to be around our car. And with some open space next to the asphalt my wife (or I) can allow him a little wiggle room rather than always keeping him vice-gripped to her (or me).

Again, we set up near there during the last NASA TWS event (and I do agree that the paddock during a NASA event is less controlled than a PCA event) and it worked out great. This time I'll have to make sure we're far enough away from any practice excercises going on over there, for our sake and the students', and if not we'll work something else out.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:40 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

For the record, I conferred with the registrar prior to posting this information. Same with the info wrt early opening of the track.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:09 PM
paralleltangent
Instructor

Thanks, Mike.

What's the scoop (Get it? I kill me sometimes) on ice cream this event???? It looks like it's gonna be a scorcher.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:01 PM
RSKY BIZ
Shark Slayer
Rennlist Member

Location: 'BETWEEN NORTH STAR BOROUGH...& THE CONCH REPUBLIC'
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PRACTICE SAFE 'HEARING'. . .

Originally Posted by paralleltangent
Does PCA allow setting up a paddock spot along the "runway" in the infield? It's labeled as a Braking Pracitce area or something to that effect on the track layout map. At my last PCA event there (October) I can't recall it being used for that, but I also can't remember if I saw anyone setting up over there. I'm hoping to drop everything off Friday night, and I don't want to assume I can leave it all over there then find out I need to move Sat morning.

The reason I ask is that I am bringing my wife and our 1.5 year old son, Max, with me. There is a bit less activity over there (cars not moving about constantly) and he's got immediate access to some open area to run around a bit and see the action on the track. This proved to be more relaxing for us (my wife especially) when running with NASA at TWS. He seems to really enjoy these events, he's been to two at TWS and one at MSRC. He insists on coming along to make sure I take care of *his* racecar.

paralleltangent-

(nice name, btw!)
Pardon me, but it is worth mentioning for all, to please use ear protection --
ESPECIALLY FOR THE KIDDOS!

CHILD EAR PROTECTION LINK

And please, don't use the soft plugs for little kids... They often end up choking on them.

Any questions I can refer you to Rob Dyson, who now sports $5K hearing aids, from a childhood spent shooting and racing.

*Fee free 'Renny bene!'

Safe Laps! . . . and -- take care of his race car!
Doc
Old 06-11-2009, 05:25 PM
paralleltangent
Instructor

Agreed. We bought the Peltor Junior Muffs not long after he was born. The trick these days is getting him to keep them on.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:28 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paralleltangent
He won't be unsupervised. Not by a long shot. I didn't mean to imply that he would be.

There aren't nearly as many cars regularly moving about in close proximity in the area Mike described, so to me it's a safer place for my family when they want to be around our car. And with some open space next to the asphalt my wife (or I) can allow him a little wiggle room rather than always keeping him vice-gripped to her (or me).

Again, we set up near there during the last NASA TWS event (and I do agree that the paddock during a NASA event is less controlled than a PCA event) and it worked out great. This time I'll have to make sure we're far enough away from any practice excercises going on over there, for our sake and the students', and if not we'll work something else out.
Kevin,

I'll be there with my 17 yr old daughter and 14 yr old son. Quite a bit older than yours, but they are still minors that require my supervision. So I can relate to the balance you are trying to achieve - bringing your family and yet trying to maintain a zone of safety for them. Not sure where I'll set up, but I'll be looking to set up out of the main traffic lanes as well. The far corner of the fence towards T11 is not too bad. BTW, if you find us, I'm sure my kids would be happy to earn some baby sitting money so your wife can get some time to walk around and get breather
Old 06-11-2009, 05:39 PM
TR6
Drifting

Kevin, I notice you drive an SP1 944. I'd like to chat with you this weekend and pick your brain a bit. I'm considering buying a spec 944 myself (if I can find the right one). I'll be in garage #42 in a miata.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:04 PM
weneversleep
Racer

NWS is predicting 99 on Sat, with heat index of 108. Sunday's temp is predicted to be 100, with who knows what heat index.

It's going to be a _scorcher_. Make sure everyone brings water.

--michael
Old 06-12-2009, 01:05 AM
paralleltangent
Instructor

TR6 and ERV - I'll look for you both this weekend.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:28 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by TR6
Kevin, I notice you drive an SP1 944. I'd like to chat with you this weekend and pick your brain a bit. I'm considering buying a spec 944 myself (if I can find the right one). I'll be in garage #42 in a miata.
Hey Greg if you are looking at 944's we need to talk...... I won't be at the next 2 PCA events though due to conflicting races. I will be at a few of the TWS open track days, the NASA event in Aug. , and down at MSR Houston also. I guess we could always email back and forth as well.
Talk to you soon,
Viking
Old 06-12-2009, 03:29 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

I'll be in Oklahoma at Hallet.
I hope it's not as hot there.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:18 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by weneversleep
NWS is predicting 99 on Sat, with heat index of 108. Sunday's temp is predicted to be 100, with who knows what heat index.
--michael
Yeah, but it will be a dry heat.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:43 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe we're still trying to burn off all of the massive rainfall from the last two days, but it's downright steamy in Dallas today. Feels like Houston.

Quick Reply: LSR PCA DE at TWS June 13/14