Sponsored by:

PCA Seatback Brace

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:23 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCA Seatback Brace

"All cars will be equipped with a seat back brace except as provided in Safety Rule 27 below. Said device will mount securely to the roll cage/bar and will rest firmly against the back of the seat. The portion that contacts the seat will
be a minimum of twelve (12) square inches and larger is suggested. The seat construction must be compatible with the seat back brace and not pose a hazard to the driver. The seat back brace for composite seats must have a minimum of thirty (30) square inches contacting the seat back, and must have 0.5” to 2” of high density foam padding between the brace and the seat back. The seat back brace cannot be bolted to a composite seat unless the manufacturer has designed the seat to bolt to a brace."

What constitutes a composite seat? Anything but an all aluminum seat or only those foam filled shells?
Old 05-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In this case, composite = non-metal

That said, does PCA allow you to run without any seat back brace at all as long as you have a current (i.e. less than 5 years old?) FIA approved composite seat?
Old 05-13-2009, 02:32 PM
Kerrigan Smith
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say anything but an aluminum or steel seat, yet some composite seats are designed for a back brace. I would call somebody at PCA for tech and ask them if you need a back brace for a FIA approved seat; which most of your high end composite seats that are new are. If buying just ask first.

Most sanctioning bodies that feature more current cars have moved away from back braces with todays seat technology. Most historic racing still uses them.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:32 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
In this case, composite = non-metal

That said, does PCA allow you to run without any seat back brace at all as long as you have a current (i.e. less than 5 years old?) FIA approved composite seat?
yes.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

As long as the seat is within 6 years of the FIA manufacturer date, you do not need a seat back brace.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts

Yes, but the mounts and rails must be FIA (not less than 5) too. Having an FIA seat is not in and of itself the only requirement. My seat mounts don't have a date on them, so I wasn't sure how I'd prove their age. Rather than fight the issue, I put a seat brace on my composite seat. It isn't too back stabby though, by design.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Yes, but the mounts and rails must be FIA (not less than 5)
6 Years
Old 05-13-2009, 05:01 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Buck
Yes, but the mounts and rails must be FIA (not less than 5) too. Having an FIA seat is not in and of itself the only requirement. My seat mounts don't have a date on them, so I wasn't sure how I'd prove their age. Rather than fight the issue, I put a seat brace on my composite seat. It isn't too back stabby though, by design.
WOW, Really. Are there dates on the seat mounts too ?

I understand the reason for having a date on the seat. The composite material can be effected by UV or wear, but what the heck on the metal brackets ?

What would be next, dates on the bolts used to bolt harness to the chassis?

The high density pad material is actually hard to find. Not that many people sell it. Also, seat back braces larger than 12 square inches are hard to find. All of the popular ones (like the IO port) are about 2" x 6". I actually can not see a commercially avaliable one that is large enough to qualify for the 30 square inches.

Also, no guidence as to the thickness or material of the brace ? Can it be alluminum ?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:08 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you guys know what started the whole seat brace thing don't you?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:54 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,886 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
you guys know what started the whole seat brace thing don't you?
no, pls elaborate
Old 05-13-2009, 10:18 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The high density pad material is actually hard to find. Not that many people sell it.
If you haven't found any try this: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=2396

Also, seat back braces larger than 12 square inches are hard to find. All of the popular ones (like the IO port) are about 2" x 6". I actually can not see a commercially avaliable one that is large enough to qualify for the 30 square inches.
You can use the IO Port with a plate welded to it, get a custom set up or use this B-K brace: www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9020.php
Old 05-14-2009, 10:19 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
no, pls elaborate
About 10 years ago at a Metro DE, Lime Rock Park, a 911 driver lost it in the rain on the front straight and backed it into the pit out retaining wall, not a huge impact, but the seat back broke and so did his neck as a result, against the roll bar, or harness bar, crossmember. Tragically, it was fatal.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
About 10 years ago at a Metro DE, Lime Rock Park, a 911 driver lost it in the rain on the front straight and backed it into the pit out retaining wall, not a huge impact, but the seat back broke and so did his neck as a result, against the roll bar, or harness bar, crossmember. Tragically, it was fatal.
Frank, it was at the Club Race. It occurred during practice. The car had a roll bar and all the proper PCA safety equipment as mandated at that time.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:58 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

I was pretty sure it was a DE, although I was not there. Dreadful all the same. The guy was an acquaintance of a patient of mine, she told me he was heir to the John Deere fortune.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Frank, it was a club race, not a DE and there were a combination of issues with that accident. First, the seat was an older seat that, while legal for PCA, was not constructed very well and the driver was recommended to replace the seat. Second, the seat was moved by his mechanic to remove an ECU for PCA compliance checking and when repositioned, only 1 of the sliders locked in place. When he hit the wall, the unlocked slider slid and the seat broke from twisting.

Quick Reply: PCA Seatback Brace