Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track wheels & tires - transport in 968?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:45 PM
joemoc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track wheels & tires - transport in 968?

Should I be able to fit a set of 17" wheels with track tires in my car along with a jack and some tools for DE's?
For those of you who change wheels at the track, what is the best way to fit everything in a 968?

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:51 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joemoc
Should I be able to fit a set of 17" wheels with track tires in my car along with a jack and some tools for DE's?
For those of you who change wheels at the track, what is the best way to fit everything in a 968?

Thanks.
It wasn't pretty but I have seen it done before, the car does become a single seater though, no room for wife or friends.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:00 PM
DanR
Drifting

I used to transport 4 17" wheels in the back of my 944 and the car has a safety deviced cage. I put the jack in the rear fender wells and my tool ox in the passenger seat

not ideal but certainly works! Just make sure you strap down the wheels because at 40G in an accident they are deadly
Old 05-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Garylimey
Racer

Originally Posted by joemoc

Thanks.
Before a trailer I used to put 3 wheels in the back and 1 on the passenger seat. Tools and change of clothes did fit but it was very tight, I was running on 18" wheels.
I highly recommend a trailer or a friend with a trailer that will carry some wheels for you.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes. I did it for years before I got my trailer when I started racing. Its pretty easy if you're willing to put a wheel in the passenger seat.

If you're using a small jack as opposed to a full size racing jack its even possible to get everything in the back and leave the passenger seat free. In that case you need to use ALL available space.

Places to put stuff include the wells behind the rear wheels, the spare tire well (you don't need the spare, you're carrying four of them!), and behind the driver and passenger seats. Also, turn the wheels face down and put stuff in them as needed. Line them with a towel if you're worried about damaging them.

With a little creativity the 968 becomes a 150 mph pick up truck!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:59 PM
cooz
Pro

it's all true....i done it too....with custom cage built without rear diagonal cross support connecting rear legs in order to maintain the needed space for 3 wheels in back

norm m
Old 05-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sure would like to see a picture of how you guys fitted 4 wheels in the back. I've spend a couple of hours last summer trying different combinations but could never fit 4, and they were 2X225 and 2X245 16's !!!

I ended up putting 3 in the back and one on the passenger seat but I do not like it because you loose the passenger side mirror.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:34 AM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 84 Posts

Did it for 8 years in my old 944S. If your fronts are only 7" wide, you can get all 4 wheels in back. Once I went to 8" wide wheels in front, I had to put one wheel in the passenger seat to make it work.

Assuming 7" fronts, try this:
1. remove main rear carpet section and spare tire
2. remove top(s) of rear seats
3. Lay down a plastic tarp, sheet of cardboard or something similar on rear hatch floor to prevent scratches to wheels or paint
4. Insert one REAR wheel as far forward as possible behind passenger seat. Try to angle it so that it will tip forward into the hollow of the Pass-side rear seat bottom and yet not prevent the rear hatch from closing. This is a bit of an art. Try flipping the wheel over if it doesn't work the first time.
5. insert one FRONT wheel face down flat on the tarp/cardboard behind the driver's seat. Shove it as far forward as possible (snug it up between the C-pillar, the rear tire you already have in there and the rollbar).
6. insert random track supplies inside the upturned wheel.
7. Stack the other FRONT wheel, face UP as directly as possible atop the first front wheel like an Oreo cookie, trapping the track supplies inside. This is where two 7" wheels work (the stack will just fit between the roof and the deck, whereas a stack of two 8" wheels will not). CAREFULLY test clearance of the rear hatch glass to make sure the top tire won't impact the glass. It will be within 1" but should not touch.
8. In the remaining space (rearmost pass side of hatch area), lay down the last remaining rear wheel, face down. Before you do this, you may want to load other gear into the empty spare tire well and the storage areas behind the rear wheels.
9. Once the last wheel is in, fill in the corners with tools, duffle bags, etc. to keep things from shifting and rattling.
10. Carefully test closing action of rear hatch. DON'T break your hatch glass by slamming it closed on some protruding object.

Go with speed.
-Q
Old 05-08-2009, 03:11 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the whole putting stuff in the back of the car for a while, it was always cramped and made the inside really dirty from wheel gunk.

Then I made a hitch for the 968 and towed my stuff in a trailer (way more comfortable, a lot less messy)

Now I'm just driving to events on street legal r-comps. (much, much much easier!)

Next step is a truck & trailer for my 951 dedicated race car.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That might be the problem, they are 8 and 9, so I found the same problem, two 8 stacked does not clear the roof. So it's not so much the tire size but more the tire width the problem I imagine.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:39 AM
aben8057
Drifting

What about taking advantage of the roof. I recall reading and seeing a pic of a 944 with a roof rack where the tires would be placed. If I recall correctly, the rack was removed during the DE, then placed back on for the trip home.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:29 AM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

Not a 944/968 but it has been done.

I would carry a full set of 245/45x16's in my 944 in the back. The 17's might be a bit tighter fit.

The other is a rear hitch carrier or tire tail

Old 05-09-2009, 02:26 PM
cooz
Pro

Dave S in Chicago has roof rack on 968 for 4 wheels/tires....

i only fit 3 large 18" race wheels in back of 968 and 1 sits on passenger seat

norm m
Old 05-09-2009, 02:36 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

No one can beat this I dont think!

All (4) 305x18s in the 928. Along with cooler, tent, tool box, spare parts, (2) 5 gal gas cans, jack, scooter, overnight gear, racing gear, etc.

7 full racing seasons, no DNF's, most always driven to and from the track. Sometimes with a wingman too. (That's scotty in his 5 liter old bugger)

mk
Attached Images    
Old 05-09-2009, 04:07 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
No one can beat this I dont think!

All (4) 305x18s in the 928. Along with cooler, tent, tool box, spare parts, (2) 5 gal gas cans, jack, scooter, overnight gear, racing gear, etc.

7 full racing seasons, no DNF's, most always driven to and from the track. Sometimes with a wingman too. (That's scotty in his 5 liter old bugger)

mk
MK
You stole my picture!!!! :>)

a 968 has quite a bit of room inside.....so I think it can be done....MK does it every race weekend!

Quick Reply: Track wheels & tires - transport in 968?