Why I quit PCA Club Racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Hey, anyone who can poke fun at Dave without getting an acerbic retort from him gets props in my book!
Dave who????
Old 05-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Come to think of it, I haven't been on the receiving end of the "acerbic retort" either....YET. Give it time, Give it time

There is a pattern there for any keen enough to observe it. ;-)

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-07-2009, 09:05 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

You have to slow for those speed bumps at Kmart!

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You bet, spartacus. Actually, you can see how ****edup the LR wheel is in that picture. The RF wheel was worse.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by forklift
Problem solved...Rennlist is better now.
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2009, 12:08 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
I'm going the other way. I've raced with NASA (PRC) for 3 years and will give PCA club racing a try for the first time in a few weeks. I'm not thrilled by the dogmatic adherence to arbitrary rules, but I'll give it a try. We normally have an 8+ race schedule with NASA so I doubt that PCA will ever become the 'main' sanctioning body I race with.
Are you racing at Buttonwillow with the PCA? If so, I'll see you there. Not racing, just the DE/TT though!
Old 05-08-2009, 12:16 PM
LPM911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Thanks for the response, Bruce.

All of you guys who are complaining about the rules, especially the oft-mentioned camber plate rule, need to send in your proposals ASAP!
x2. don't forget about the stupid carpet rule either. (and i'm one of the few who still drives their car to the race)
Old 05-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sundog: Yes, I'll be at Buttonwillow for the weekend. Racing Sat/Sun and doing the DE on Friday to get some practice time there (it's been 2 years since I've been to BW and I may have the new shocks installed and they will need to be adjusted). Stop by and say hello.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

^ +1 on LMP911's comments above. Although LPM911, I hope you will not be put off by my post over in the thread started by Geoffrey. No offense intended towards anyone driving their street vehicle and participating in a Club Race.

I do, however, believe that the carpet rule should be rescinded. That said, I think we need smoke toxicity studies to backstop our desires to be able to run without carpet in a racing vehicle (regardless of whether it is a dedicated race car or a street car).

Toby
Old 05-08-2009, 04:24 PM
LPM911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
^ +1 on LMP911's comments above. Although LPM911, I hope you will not be put off by my post over in the thread started by Geoffrey. No offense intended towards anyone driving their street vehicle and participating in a Club Race.

I do, however, believe that the carpet rule should be rescinded. That said, I think we need smoke toxicity studies to backstop our desires to be able to run without carpet in a racing vehicle (regardless of whether it is a dedicated race car or a street car).

Toby
i didn't see anything that would be offensive. maybe i was looking at the wrong thread. haha. anyways...

now that a full cage is required, and you are permitted to remove the headliner and you can even gut the doors to make room for the cage, it just seems silly to require carpet. i know i felt stupid putting the carpet in there after i had removed it all to have the custom cage welded in.

people grow into racing from DEs. and the people that get serious about DEs start modding their cars and one thing that most of the guys I DE with do is strip the interior. so why fight it? sure maybe the guy who is racing for the first time with just the roll bar will feel at a disadvantage because he has carpet, but if he wants to get serious about racing, he MUST put in the cage after 4(?) races with the bar. if he's really serious he's probably going to go with a welded cage and not a bolt in and then he's going to be raping the interior anyways. plus its a cheap way to help people get the car down to the listed weight.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LPM911
people grow into racing from DEs. and the people that get serious about DEs start modding their cars and one thing that most of the guys I DE with do is strip the interior.
This hasn't been my experience. Certainly my DE cars and most if the cars of the instructors that I have taken rides with have had carpeting.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Jewels
Rennlist Member

Default Still PCA racing.just not as much

OK I am going to address the original Question.

Used to race SCCA way back(240-z) 70's.

Had our first child in 82 and stopped racing.

Started racing again in 1995, PCA and loved it. LRP, WG, Pocono,Beaverun and Mosport.

After a while it became obvious that in my class (GT-3) it was hard to be first without a power to weight ratio in place. I did well but only one 1st(Beaverun), alot of people were ALOT lighter.

Started to race SVRA in 2000 and loved it. The people were less assuming and very helpful(no reflection on PCA).

Changed the exhaust system in 02 so LRP was out, no longer passed noise limit without $$$ and had to readjust PMO's to do it.

Started to do HSR and SVRA regular..also continued at WG and Mosport(great people there).

At one of the Clash races I had a messy accident..clearly other guys fault(Cup Car rental from one of the main sponsors), during enduro. Even though clear evidence was presented to officials, NO ONE WAS GIVEN A 13/13, oh well that's racing. It left a bad taste in my mouth, and when I started to look at it at other PCA races realized that there was a different attitude at different tracks depending on who sponsored things.

I do maybe 1-2 PCA races still every year and never miss a SVRA or HSR that I can get to.

I have been doing much better in PCA now, with the power to weight spec. in GT (won my class first time out in last years Clash) and appreciate the constant desire from all associated with PCA Club Racing in trying to make everything as fair and safe as possible.

But, there is just something about being passed on a straight by some Mustang or Corvette and then outbraking them and out turning them, to be ahead again in the next straight. The feeling is completely different and very motivating.

Somebody once said that variety is the spice of life...well spice me up

Quick Reply: Why I quit PCA Club Racing