Sponsored by:

Why I quit PCA Club Racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 01:22 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Nice, Dick bumping with Ghay Raptor for points ................
proving my point by doing it again
Old 05-06-2009, 01:22 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aeshultz
Wayne, could you just stay out of a useful thread for once? Your stuff is just not helping, nor is it needed.
Please take it elsewhere - ok?
Old 05-06-2009, 01:28 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
I'm going the other way. I've raced with NASA (PRC) for 3 years and will give PCA club racing a try for the first time in a few weeks. I'm not thrilled by the dogmatic adherence to arbitrary rules, but I'll give it a try. We normally have an 8+ race schedule with NASA so I doubt that PCA will ever become the 'main' sanctioning body I race with.
And I was on the other side of Tom (leaving wheel-to-wheel when he was starting). Before, in Northern California, we had the occasional PCA club race. Spotty attendance, wholly unsupported by PCA National (cue the beatdown from someone involved in the program), and a lot of extra overhead. So the guys who organized them, in about '01 or '02, approached NASA for a run group. PRC was born. No hassle racing. Pretty thriving group now. (I have to say the Laguna '02-'04 club races, being part of a spectator "pro" weekend, were neat. And that we had a Sears back-to-back thrown in once brought a lot of travelers to sell out things.)

In '09, as Tom mentioned, we have another group of volunteers putting on 3 club races races in conjunction with DE. So they're back.

Oh, as to why I no longer race. Well, first my extra cash went into purchasing some commercial property for one of my businesses. Then I bought another business that literally left me with 15 free days/year from mid-'05 to mid'-07. And that's pretty much what threw my diabetes into outer space, precluding me from getting a physical signoff. Now that I have some time, the one business is in the toilet................so it's just not the time to spend money on racing.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:45 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aeshultz
Wayne, could you just stay out of a useful thread for once? Your stuff is just not helping, nor is it needed.
Please take it elsewhere - ok?
Your Myopia have a problem with one ... Hmm yes I see ............

Well i stopped club racing , because , well, i stopped racing , different moment in time , in the beginning PCA was fun , the commitment ( time ) required to do it properly is not available to me any more , so fun for dad leave nothing for the others.. i will resume when the Boys are old enuff to race , well that is the plan , You ?

Originally Posted by forklift
Yes such input , i see , Hmmm
Old 05-06-2009, 01:58 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Your Myopia have a problem with one ... Hmm yes I see ............

Well i stopped club racing , because , well, i stopped racing , different moment in time , in the beginning PCA was fun , the commitment ( time ) required to do it properly is not available to me any more , so fun for dad leave nothing for the others.. i will resume when the Boys are old enuff to race , well that is the plan , You ?

See post 27 jackass.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:59 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

My god- post with useful information from Wayne!
Don't make a habit of it- OK?
Old 05-06-2009, 02:05 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not everyone that reads good threads such this one post content. There are many more that read than post and they as well as those that post can get annoyed with the off topic back and forth sword fighting by the usual masterdebaters. I get the feeling that all Forklift and Alan were asking is to please just give it a rest in the "technical" threads.

(this post is in itself 100% free of information related to the interesting thread topic)(***)
Old 05-06-2009, 02:20 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kurt M
Not everyone that reads good threads such this one post content. There are many more that read than post and they as well as those that post can get annoyed with the off topic back and forth sword fighting by the usual masterdebaters. I get the feeling that all Forklift and Alan were asking is to please just give it a rest in the "technical" threads.

(this post is in itself 100% free of information related to the interesting thread topic)(***)
Yes, although I enjoy the humor on the boards, sometimes they take over the thread completley and you "lose" a good thread....and I think this is a good thread....one of the few I have posted in recently.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, one more thing I will add about PCA stock or even prepared classes. My motor is probably around 225-230 say RWHP w/ the stock chip. If I put in a $350 chip that bumps my HP by 12-20 hp to probably a max of 250, I go to prepared, but if I spend $20k for a balanced and blueprinted (but still “stock”) race motor and get 250-260k out of it, I am ok for stock class. So the same or more hp from the $20k rebuild and I am allowed to stay in stock class, but for a $350 chip for about the same or less HP I get bumped a class. The ones that can afford to do this have a real advantage….where in GTS you just build your car to the max p/w weight allowed...
You've really hit on the beauty of the GTS rules, aside from the inherent fairness they provide. There is no reason to spend huge amounts of money on the motor! Down a bit on power? Just take a bit of weight out of the car to compensate. Blow your motor up? Find a junkyard motor, adjust weight as necessary, and go racing.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Weston
Racer

NASA cons:
More likelihood of contact?

PCA pros:
-probably a bit safer than NASA?
NASA's GTS class uses a modified 13/13 rule to strongly discourage contact. It isn't as harsh as PCA's rule, which is rather draconian, but there are still a number of people who think it's a bit excessive. Either way, people will compromise their racing in order to avoid even slight contact, but contact is still entirely possible with both organizations. It's probably a good thing for 911's, vintage cars, and other expensive cars, but it is definitely a compromise in the competition aspect. NASA also offers non-13/13 classes for those of us who prefer closer racing and accept certain risks, but that certainly doesn't mean "rubbin' is racin' " either.

Another thing to consider is that as the number of competitors increases, or the racing gets closer and more competitive, the risk of contact increases as well. No amount of rules will ever change that, and it's a risk we accept when we go wheel-to-wheel racing.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:40 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Weston
...the risk of contact increases as well. No amount of rules will ever change that...
you would think that, but evidently "certain" car clubs missed that seminar
Old 05-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't started with PCA. When I bought my FC I seriously was looking at some (of the old) F Stock cars, and again when I sold the FC and bought the SRF. I like the way the weekend is set up and the racing seemed like a good group. However I want to have more variety than just the 1 or 2 PCA races that are within a short tow. That is/was the biggest hurdle. I have over 10 race weekends within a 4 hour tow for me right now with SCCA vs. 3 or 4 with PCA.

The rules never bothered me as they are rules and everyone is building to the same set. A long enduro like was mentioned would be VERY cool.

I've tried a few times to put something together and run a weekend here and there with PCA as a rental but things just never seem to come together. Some day though.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:47 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

See post 27 jackass.
Good retort capt Pinhead ......................

Notice the OP ask why i quit PCA club racing ....... not why i dream to build a car and go PCA club racing ...

Always the same , you must be a member of the Stump and raisin family , they always hangry....
Old 05-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

I stopped because the PRC was formed here in NorCal (I helped create it), and I no longer needed to consider long travel in my racing schedule. PCA Club Races are kind of based on a "big event" format, so if I wanted to do several per season, I'd have to include some 6 hour plus travel, despite the plethora of more local venues.

We had a few Club Races here locally in the mid- to late-90's and up to 2004. Volunteers from local regions worked with the national group as is the custom/requirement. This of course carried financial obligations that had to be supported by the economic structure of the event. But it seemed that for the most part, al of these events were very successful.

The PRC was formed because a lot of us wanted a schedule of more nearby races, with an all-Porsche structure. Many of us had been running in a mixed-marque format under NASA sanction, usually with BMW's. But the sizes of the fields was an unpredictable variable (as many as 65 cars when the economy was good), and there was a wide spread of performance capability. So we created an all-Porsche opportunity with NASA, a business which started here in NorCal, and have been thriving ever since. This coincided with the creation of our popular 911 "Spec" class, a brainchild of Rich and Gary Walton, likely Jerry Woods and several others.

This year, some members of the local Golden Gate PCA Region (GGR, to which I belong) are trying something different... a series of Club Races run in conjunction with their Time Trial/DE Series. Basically there are three events (one coming up at Buttonwillow) where a single Club Race run group is included in what is otherwise a Time Trial/DE event. The Porsche Racing Club has put two of these events on our 2009 schedule to augment our events run under NASA sanction.

The GGR organizers of this new type of Club Racing opportunity have done a spectacular job, including controlling the weather for their first event at Thunderhill in March. For those in the area, I suggest strong consideration of our upcoming event at Buttonwillow.

In terms of rules and car classes, at least between the PRC and the PCA program, things are working out quite nicely and there are no major issues. In terms of racing culture and the 13/13, that too has been addressed by the PCA.

I think that all of the sanctioning bodies have been evolving in their own ways, and that creates more and more opportunities for us to race in either single-marque or mixed-marque formats at a variety of venues, which is great. A good example of his type of thing is the upcoming Rose Cup weekend in Portland. Porsche drivers can run pretty seamlessly with SCCA and PCA at the same event.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:59 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

PCA will eventually become the GT3 club of America , the writing has been on the wall for a number of years now ...

Quick Reply: Why I quit PCA Club Racing