Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-Ohio Lap

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RDL, I liked your line a lot. Taking an early apex at 7 and using all of the track out and then hugging Madness (Turn 8) tight is definitely the way to go. Trying to get back right for a proper apex of Madness is a waste of time and leaves the door open for someone to jam their car inside and pass there.

I started using 2nd gear at Mid Ohio this past weekend and could not have been more pleased with the results. I now use 2nd in the Keyhole, Madness and Turn 9, and then in the Carousel. I hit my rev limiter coming down the hill to 9 but the higher revs really plants my back end in all of those turns.

I will sometimes use 2nd gear for Turn 11 in traffic but otherwise it's too slow... I just need to get faster in 3rd through there...

Along the same note, I now use 3rd gear in Turns 1 and 14 where I used to lug in 4th gear. Again, I sometimes just barely hit my rev limiter approaching 14 but I hate downshifting there.

Switching to bigger wheels has made all the difference in the world for me...
Old 05-05-2009, 05:07 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Disasterman,
Interesting splitter and rear spoiler you have. I'm sure the clear rear spoiler makes a ton of downforce. It looks like it make a huge amount of drag, does it hurt top speed?
I agree with the others, 2nd gear is too low for me anywhere at M-O unless balked by traffic.

Jack,
Thanks for the compliment on the line. I assume when you list your gear selections you are dealing with a 4 speed transmission?
Old 05-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RDL
I agree with the others, 2nd gear is too low for me anywhere at M-O unless balked by traffic.

Jack,
Thanks for the compliment on the line. I assume when you list your gear selections you are dealing with a 4 speed transmission?
Nope, 5-speed. But with a 275/40/17 tire in the rear and shifting at redline (6250), I bet I can do 65 mph in 2nd gear... and probably almost 100 mph in 3rd gear.

I think my current shift sequence is very similar to most E class 911s at Mid Ohio. I have no idea about 944s or 968s...
Old 05-05-2009, 05:34 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting. It just goes to show how different cars make speed in different ways.
I guess it's a Torque vs Horsepower thing
Old 05-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jim Child
That would never work in my car. There is tons of speed in that corner. I strongly suspect that you're overslowing the car going to 2nd gear. When in doubt try to find the speed that makes the higher gear work for you.
I had an 80 mph 2nd gear in my car (perfect for the Keyhole) and I still found that 3rd gear was better for 11 unless I was slowed by traffic through the esses. It is way too easy to overslow in 2nd.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:47 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Astroman
I started using 2nd gear at Mid Ohio this past weekend and could not have been more pleased with the results. I now use 2nd in the Keyhole, Madness and Turn 9, and then in the Carousel. I hit my rev limiter coming down the hill to 9 but the higher revs really plants my back end in all of those turns.
I had the same experience. I used 2nd for the first time at the OVRPCA DE a few weeks ago. Wow, it was a revelation. I had nothing coming out of the Keyhole in 3rd. Using 2nd not only gave me some torque hitting the back straight, but it also made my car stick the turn. Seemed much more predictable and controlled in 2nd.

I haven't decided if Esses/Madness benefit or not. I use 2nd in the Carousel not so much for speed but it increases my ability to hit the same line each time. I have better control in 2nd on those decreasing radius turns.

I will sometimes use 2nd gear for Turn 11 in traffic but otherwise it's too slow... I just need to get faster in 3rd through there...
I'm chicken to try it in 11. But I may give the esses/madness another go at 2nd.

Along the same note, I now use 3rd gear in Turns 1 and 14 where I used to lug in 4th gear. Again, I sometimes just barely hit my rev limiter approaching 14 but I hate downshifting there.
The only time my car sees 4th at MO is the back straight. If I use it on the front straight, I lose time to shifting and gain nothing. Turn 1 is superfast but I need 3rd coming out of it. I guess I'm slow 'cause I don't need 4th going into the Carousel.

Switching to bigger wheels has made all the difference in the world for me...
I've still got 16" stock, but my underpowered engine and heavy cab chasis need the lower gears to compete.

I'm happy to hear someone else is experimenting with 2nd and liking it. I thought it was a transforming moment for me. I was very frustrated having nothing coming out of the Keyhole, even though it seemed I carried good speed through it. Got tired of not being able to pass the damn turbo that was slow in the corners but blasted out of the keyhole while I watched helplessly.

I was also amazed at the change in handling characteristics. Seemed much more settled in 2nd.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:28 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the solution is a shorter 911 3rd gear, mounting four R compound 225/45 on 15 inch rims would be a cheap substitute. Or maybe switch to a 4 speed 930$$$.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:57 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sig_a
Since the solution is a shorter 911 3rd gear, mounting four R compound 225/45 on 15 inch rims would be a cheap substitute. Or maybe switch to a 4 speed 930$$$.
Stock wheels on my car are 16x6/7. I've been looking for a set of track wheels for R compound tires. But I had been thinking of going up in size to 16x7/8.

I met a fella who put 15" on his 911 and was very happy with the results. But it was a pre-SC... not sure if that's an option on mine????
Old 05-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
Stock wheels on my car are 16x6/7. I've been looking for a set of track wheels for R compound tires. But I had been thinking of going up in size to 16x7/8.

I met a fella who put 15" on his 911 and was very happy with the results. But it was a pre-SC... not sure if that's an option on mine????
I run 15" wheels with 225/245 Hoosiers and use the same gearing as Astroman. In fact I don't even have to use 5th on the back straight or 4th on the front straight but then again I'm a few seconds off his pace.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You can run 15s on an SC. It was the standard wheel combo on the 83 Weissach coupe. Plus Club racing does not limit the diameter, just the width.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,557 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
You can run 15s on an SC. It was the standard wheel combo on the 83 Weissach coupe. Plus Club racing does not limit the diameter, just the width.
Some clever SC racers I know are actually faster on 15's than 16's on some tracks.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-05-2009, 10:34 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure about running them on a Carerra though (I've got an 87). Any thoughts on that?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:45 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Some clever SC racers I know are actually faster on 15's than 16's on some tracks.
I could see them as a disadvantage on a superfast track like Texas World Speedway where y'all have more straights and really high-speed turns. But I'd think at a tighter track like MidOhio, lower-torque/hp cars like mine would benefit in the sprints using smaller wheels?

Less unsprung weight, quicker acceleration at the onset.

If I ever drive at TWS... I'll put on 20" wheels! Wow, that's a fast track (been there to watch a friend drive).
Old 05-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'm not sure about running them on a Carerra though (I've got an 87). Any thoughts on that?
Yep, it was an option. I ran 7 & 8 x 15 Fuchs alloys on my 84 for years. Won a few races on them too!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:43 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Yep, it was an option. I ran 7 & 8 x 15 Fuchs alloys on my 84 for years. Won a few races on them too!
I wasn't sure I'd seen them on any G50 tranny cars. But my owner's manual does show 15 as an option. Hmmm.... I guess I need to find out what tires are available in 15. My choices were pretty limited for the 16x6/7. And 16x7/8 for that matter.

Quick Reply: Mid-Ohio Lap