Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group buy for a cool shirt system.....(edited)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:09 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
The miata I'm running this summer has a Cool-Shirt system, but I have to buy my own shirt if I want to use it. Can you plug a FAST shirt into the Cool-shirt system?
One of the people who was interested in mine said that the fittings were not compatible
Old 04-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Team944S2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having switched from a Cool Shirt system to the FAST system, the shirts were interchangeable. Perhaps the fittings were the same before? I know FAST has a fittings kit that can convert hose fittings over from one to the other.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:10 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the hooded one and it's great. It's a little snug under my helmet and you look retarded putting it on. When not on your head, it works well at the back of your neck.

All the fittings should be the same. I am using an opti-cool cold therapy cooler and it mated up just fine.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:45 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They fit fine. I needed to borrow someones one race.

The hood is the ****
Old 04-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

What works better the hood or the air system?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:35 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Last summer I broke down and just made my own.

I bought a cooler from walmart, a marine bilge pump, some quick disconnets and some tubing. I made my own shirt as well, but had scrap the first shirt since it did not work out right. I was able to save the tubing.

Running the cool shirt in temps of 95F+ was great. I only ran it for the races. practice is in the morning and cool enough and qualfying is generally short enough to endure for a few mintues. Race time is long and often occurs at the warmest time of th day. So that is when I use it.

I found ths best time is actually sitting on grid. In the past getting suited up is tough when it is 102F out side. Then you put on all gear and wait race grid for 5 mintues at a minimum. Longer if there is a clean up before. Anyway the heat really gets to you when you are just sitting. However with cool shirt I can sit there for ever it seems and be quite comfortable. Very nice.

When racing you feel it less since your body is generating heat and you are focused on racing. So I really never "noticed" it since, but then again I never "got hot" either. In the end that is the key to never feel overheated in the car and that lets you focus on the racing.

For mine I use some old tupperware and make 3-4 ice blocks to fit in the cooler. I can't fit one big block, but I can get in some smaller ones. These will last all day (outside the car) and for the duration of the race.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:14 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow.....Joe..... you made your own? You must be very handy......

For the rest of us, it is not too late to get in the group buy for the Cool Shirt System.......
Old 04-30-2009, 03:44 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Not meaning to impose on Paolo's group buy but reading Joe's comment made me want to share my experience.

Last year there was a thread on homemade coolers for cool shirts and I think it was BKS who turned me on to the Donjoy theraputic coolers. They can be found on fleabay all day long...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Donjoy-ICEMAN-Mo...3A1%7C294%3A50

The coolers come with all the plumbing and the fittings mate to the Cool shirt system...I converted it into a 12 V system and just plug it into the cigarette lighter...
Old 04-30-2009, 06:08 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Anyone know of a DIY variable speed switch that would regulate the flow?

I intend to get by with just a toggle but if there's a simple rotary switch I can get I may try a DIY version of what cool shirt sells.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:44 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

FWIW......The minimum amount of buyers been satisfied.....
Today is the last day to put your order in for the group buy.......
Old 05-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
FWIW......The minimum amount of buyers been satisfied.....
Today is the last day to put your order in for the group buy.......
Is the group buy for the whole system? Can I order only a hooded shirt? If so, where would I find the cost on that?
Old 05-01-2009, 11:33 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Brian, you have a PM.......

You don't have to buy the whole system, replacement parts work as well.....
Old 05-25-2011, 10:48 AM
mlpor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw your post on Rennlist. We're doing a Lemons race this summer, and I've picked up a couple of the donjoy units off ebay. Just out of curiosity, how did you do the 12v conversion?

I don't know much about electricity. The Donjoy "IceMan" coolers use an AC addapter to change the current to @ 7 volt 1.6A DC. How did you set the unit up to run on the cars 12v system?

I've considered getting a DC to AC (?) inverter, and using the DonJoy oem brick to power the pump, or I guess there are some type of step down (are they still called transformers) to reduce the car 12-13 volt DC to the required 7 volts.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks
Mike Pederson
Colorado
mlped@q.com or 303-8881941 cell

(tired posting this to the Rennlist forum, but couldn't get through to the "post" message block)

Quick Reply: Group buy for a cool shirt system.....(edited)