Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: TPMS Sensors for Track Wheels?
Yes.
57.14%
No.
42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

TPMS Sensors for Track Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:37 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default TPMS Sensors for Track Wheels?

I've done it both ways. Ran without TPMS and got error codes and obviously no information. Ran with TPMS and got error message, but also got readings. While not accurate, they at least show the relative pressures and will also show a pressure loss. I've had no issues with my Porsches, but on a previous E46 M3 I had a valve stem hit by debris, causing me to lose pressure within half a lap (limped back without incident).

So, when my 09 arrives that will make the 06-08 TPMS sensors obsolete and I'm considering getting a set of 09s to put on the Volks when it's time for new R888s.

I don't see any downside to the sensors other than perhaps weight inside the wheel. Thoughts?
Old 04-26-2009, 10:21 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

Just put them on last week, for this weekends DE at Road Atlanta. A total positive for me. No annoying warnings and peace of mind on pressure changes. I'm pleased with them.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Jewels
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought a new system for the race car..screw on valve sensors to report to a in car system. Next outing WG on the 11th. I will report on them then...but I cannot see any down side. To me it is better than getting someone to take to PSI as soon as I come into the pits ( they say you lose 1-2psi on cool down), or jumping out with gauge in hand and takling reading myself!
Checked this system reading with the most accurate gauge I had and it is dead accurate. Finally I will be able to see what those Hoosier's are actually doing.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Bought 18 inch wheels and the sensors. Got tired of the beep and warnings. Had a falt in the last race of last season. Had I seen it coming .. i.e slow leak, I might have finished.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:23 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i use a set i bought used and put them on my track wheels. i count on them for general information and not as a replacement for checking pressures in the paddock.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:21 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I am getting sensors for my track wheels next time I swap out tires.

Ron, the TPMS for the new 09 seems to be a lot better than the previous version. No issues and a lot more accruate.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:54 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not saying yes or no, but probably 90% of the race sets I sell the buyers opt to leave sensors out.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:55 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
........the TPMS for the new 09 seems to be a lot better than the previous version. No issues and a lot more accruate.
As time goes on, OE sensors are getting better and better.....
Old 04-27-2009, 10:25 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jewels
Just bought a new system for the race car..screw on valve sensors to report to a in car system. Next outing WG on the 11th. I will report on them then...but I cannot see any down side. To me it is better than getting someone to take to PSI as soon as I come into the pits ( they say you lose 1-2psi on cool down), or jumping out with gauge in hand and takling reading myself!
Checked this system reading with the most accurate gauge I had and it is dead accurate. Finally I will be able to see what those Hoosier's are actually doing.
Which TPS are you looking at. It sounds like it is pretty accurate which is a must.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Jewels
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim
The system I purchased is called Opti-grip, it is from Hot Lap MotorSports,Inc.
www.opti-grip.com
I have experience with the screw on valve stem preasure monitors from my RV system.
This particular system seems VERY accurate down to th 1/10 psi digit(ex.33.2 PSI).
I don't know if the extra weight is going to throw off the balance of the prebalanced wheel..about 1/3 ounce..put if it is sucessful on track I will balance them with the sensors screwed in to the valves.
Easy to change to one of my other 3 sets of wheels...I'm hoping it works.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:02 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jewels
Jim
The system I purchased is called Opti-grip, it is from Hot Lap MotorSports,Inc.
www.opti-grip.com
I have experience with the screw on valve stem preasure monitors from my RV system.
This particular system seems VERY accurate down to th 1/10 psi digit(ex.33.2 PSI).
I don't know if the extra weight is going to throw off the balance of the prebalanced wheel..about 1/3 ounce..put if it is sucessful on track I will balance them with the sensors screwed in to the valves.
Easy to change to one of my other 3 sets of wheels...I'm hoping it works.
Thanks, I was looking at the RV stuff too, just didn't know how accurate. This stuff looks good since it's built for racing.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:14 AM
machina
Racer

Have TPMS on my track wheels and find them very helpful to monitor relative hot/cold pressures and to safeguard against major pressure loss while on track.

Only problem is that cold pressures are much lower than built in tolerance in TPMS computer which gives low pressure warnings but that is easily cleared.

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensors for Track Wheels?