Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why windows down?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:29 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to an Audi club DE event last year with my race car. They had to get approval from some national official to let me driver because I didn't have functioning turn signals, wipers, or headlights (on a cloudless sunny day). Turn signal point by for DEs are damgerous. I have seen newbies get confused and go the wrong way.
Originally Posted by Geoffrey
This is not the reason at all. The track rescue people carry tools to get into a car, and neither a GLASS or LEXAN window will slow them down. I did a fair amount of research at one point in time for PCA Club Racing, so my research came from 5-6 tracks in the NE which all said the same thing. Windows of any type are not an issue in gaining access to the inside of the car.
I am currently having this argument with NASA. I think I will win at the National level (currently legal, but considering stricter rules) and lose at the regional level (currently legal, but considering an absolute ban).
Old 04-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Ari 997TT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingDog
I went to an Audi club DE event last year with my race car. They had to get approval from some national official to let me driver because I didn't have functioning turn signals, wipers, or headlights (on a cloudless sunny day). Turn signal point by for DEs are damgerous. I have seen newbies get confused and go the wrong way.I am currently having this argument with NASA. I think I will win at the National level (currently legal, but considering stricter rules) and lose at the regional level (currently legal, but considering an absolute ban).
Can you elaborate on your "arguments?" My car also has no headlights, turn signals, wipers or side windows. I have run DE's with NASA NE, and hope to do their comp school next year. I know others with similar "deficiencies" in their cars that race with NASA NE. What's the issue?
Old 04-28-2009, 09:17 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How many here have had to extract themselves from a wreck? I'll wager not too many. When I did in RSA #1 at Sears in '03 (thankfully the only car I've even done more than a spoiler's damage to in 25 years of doing this stuff..........), I impacted driver's side. NASA race, so full safety crew was right there, right now, especially since I did it in T1. But the door was jammed shut. And with the race seat, no way would I have been able to hastily get out the passenger door. Would I have been looking to see if I had electrics to roll down a window, either? Unlikely. So what was I able to do quickly? Pull steering wheel, unlatch belts, pull down net, and climb out. How many of us practice this stuff?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:49 PM
va122
Drifting

Originally Posted by race911
How many here have had to extract themselves from a wreck? I'll wager not too many. When I did in RSA #1 at Sears in '03 (thankfully the only car I've even done more than a spoiler's damage to in 25 years of doing this stuff..........), I impacted driver's side. NASA race, so full safety crew was right there, right now, especially since I did it in T1. But the door was jammed shut. And with the race seat, no way would I have been able to hastily get out the passenger door. Would I have been looking to see if I had electrics to roll down a window, either? Unlikely. So what was I able to do quickly? Pull steering wheel, unlatch belts, pull down net, and climb out. How many of us practice this stuff?
I have and it sucked I couldn't get out and was pulled out the window. I can't imagine going through shards of glass.

I was an EMT and have seen my share of wrecks, jaws of life stuff. The thing is side windows are designed to shatter in a million shards when hit with something pointy like a nail unlike a windscreen. We had this cool tool that looked like a pen with a spring loaded nail. All you have to do is tap the glass and it rains down glass shards. No thanks.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:23 AM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
I have too. Car was wedged in a tire wall and there was no way I could get out on the driver's side which was pinned against the wall. Removed steering wheel, unlatched harness and exited through the OPEN passenger's side window.

Richard
Old 04-29-2009, 02:30 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ari 997TT
Can you elaborate on your "arguments?" My car also has no headlights, turn signals, wipers or side windows. I have run DE's with NASA NE, and hope to do their comp school next year. I know others with similar "deficiencies" in their cars that race with NASA NE. What's the issue?
In NASA, you will have no issue with your car's missing lights/signals as long as the brake lights work. The comments above and below the quote in my post were completely separate. The issue I am dealing with is polycarbonate side windows (driver and passenger doors) in a GTS race car.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Ari 997TT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gotcha. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Why windows down?