Sponsored by:

Why windows down?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Why windows down?

I've noticed that PCA and most groups require the side windows to be open while on track. At PSDS, they run with the windows closed.

What is the purpose of keeping the windows open?
Is it so there is less glass that could shatter and become road hazard after an accident?
Is it to permit the driver to escape through the window if the door mechanism becomes damaged?

Curious especially since PSDS keeps the windows closed.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:43 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mainly to allow drivers to clearly put their arm out and point by
Old 04-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
mainly to allow drivers to clearly put their arm out and point by
What about using directionals to point by which is what PSDS does? In some ways I think this makes more sense since you don't have to take your hand off the wheel.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:50 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

people can put the directionals on by mistake or forget to turn it off. Point by is a good way to make sure both drivers are on the same page.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:53 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
What about using directionals to point by which is what PSDS does? In some ways I think this makes more sense since you don't have to take your hand off the wheel.
you have a point and that works well. it is how we do it at DE's at Daytona and how the occasional Cayenne give a point by.

really only reason is for point bys and so the corner workers can see you.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:05 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

They require it for instructors or any right seat passenger in my reason. I always figured it was in case your helmet got too close to the glass (ie so it wouldn't get broken). You have to roll the window down at AX in my region as well.

I did an MB club event last week when it was pouring rain and they let us keep up the glass to keep the rain out since there was minimal passing. In this case they needed a ruling from the track (summit point).
Old 04-26-2009, 04:28 PM
rcc55125
Intermediate

The reason Most DE's require the window to be down is to allow an unconscious driver to be extracted by the corner workers if the door won't open after a crash. Typically, window down for each occupied seat.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Lou L
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

As said above - my understanding it's for safety reasons just in case in an accident the door cannot be opened. A side benefit is clearer point bys - but safety is the primary reason.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:51 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^
I am not sure the safety argument makes a whole lot of sense.

In my book, it is more safe to have all limbs inside the car at all times, and windows up facilitates that situation.

If someone on the track can't use turn signals properly for point by, then they shouldn't be on the track... that's safety!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:07 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou L
As said above - my understanding it's for safety reasons just in case in an accident the door cannot be opened. A side benefit is clearer point bys - but safety is the primary reason.
Bingo. So they can pull your *** out of the car if necessary (perish the thought).
Old 04-26-2009, 05:14 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone

If someone on the track can't use turn signals properly for point by, then they shouldn't be on the track... that's safety!
Turn signals indicate the intended direction of travel of the signaling vehicle, not following vehicles.

Just yesterday (actually), while racing at Lime Rock, there was a car on track with its turn signal on, (the driver obviously didn't realize it and inside a race car unless you see the indicator light, you won't know it's on), but I'm sure he wasn't inviting me to pass on the right. A rare occurrence, but obviously not the way to signal a pass on a race track.

R.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:08 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Windows down is for emergency access to the occupants. Period.
One stupid [IMHO] restriction by many DE operations is to ban the use of window nets in race-prepared cars in the name of making point-bys more obvious. Now THAT makes no sense. Its easy to give a clear and visible point with most nets in place.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by richard glickel
Turn signals indicate the intended direction of travel of the signaling vehicle, not following vehicles.

R.
Exactly why I, and many others, don't like the use of turn signals on track. People spend their entire street driving experience reacting to seeing a turn signal by moving to the opposite side from the flashing signal and passing if possible on that side. Then when on track they are expected to quickly react in the opposite manner. Most new track drivers don't react quickly and the passing opportunity can be lost or delayed.

It can be made to work, but why? We don't use turn signals unless it is closed, no window car like when a member brings out a 956 or a 962.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Benton
Drifting

Some race cars don't have turn signals either. Race rules only require brake lights (I think).
Old 04-26-2009, 08:23 PM
gieseja
Rennlist Member

Mercedes cars close the windows if it senses a rollover.

Quick Reply: Why windows down?