Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why windows down?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:42 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

corner workers do NOT typically carry a tools to break a window... and they are normally 1st responders.

RESCUE crews do have this equiptment, but can take as long as a few minutes to arrive.

I always THOUGHT windows down was to give driver a quick-er exit in case of fire. at least for a race car w/ a net.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive with BOTH windows down, regardless if I have a passenger in my car or not. That doubles my escape routes. If I'm pinned to a wall on the driver's side, my driver's window being down won't help much.

And unless I am sure that the car is not on fire, and there is no danger in just sitting in a disabled car, I'm going to get out of said car as fast as I can. IE: I don't have time to see if the power windows are still operatable.

Argue all you want - for me, the issue is moot - my safety = both windows down. If it is wet out there, I'd rather have a wet interior than no way to escape.

Oh, and the driver's window down allows me to point by all those GT3's that seem to be invading DE's lately....
-Z
Old 04-27-2009, 12:37 PM
TR6
Drifting

I was always told that windows should remain down for

1) (most importantly) corner workers to have good clear visibility of the condition of the driver at all times and see if the driver is signaling that he's ok or needs help.
2) self extraction of driver if a door won't open for some reason (roll over, wedged against tire wall, etc)
3) so a corner worker can stick a fire extinguisher in the passenger window in event of fire while the driver is working on unfastening his belts, hans, etc to get out the drivers side.

I agree that corner workers probably won't have tools on hand to effectively get through a closed window and emergency crews that would have the tools would be later to arrive (probably after a car is fully engulfed in flames).
Old 04-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Weston
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There once was a time when SCCA required the driver's window to be up during their Time Trials events... the reasoning was that it would basically act as a window net and help keep you inside the car if you were to roll. That was when the only safety gear requirement was a Snell M90 or M95 helmet (same as autocross). The following year, they required arm restraints or a window net, and the windows to be down. I'm not sure if they still have that requirement, but I do know that they currently require both windows to be down.

So, it kind of does make some sense to have the driver's window up if you're in a street car without anything else to keep your arms inside the vehicle, but it's far from a perfect solution. And as a wheel-to-wheel racer, I would never want a window while racing, even in wet weather... no escape route, no ventilation, and the possibility of shattered glass on me or on the track (it wont puncture tires, but it is like driving on marbles).
Old 04-27-2009, 04:42 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting thread - I have a question.
My car has a window net; I removed it because it is a major pain giving point-byes (and I give a lot of point-byes; I am very good at that).
But, maybe I should reinstall the net in the interest of safety.
So, the question for those of you with nets is - do you find it difficult to give point-byes (I mean physically difficult, not ego difficult)? If not, how come? I have to snake my left hand forward and through a tiny opening in the forward edge of the net; left arm begins to cramp up after doing that repeatedly.
No smart alec answers, please. I know the real answer is 'drive faster, Rick.'
Old 04-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mebbe you need this?

Just stick it out the window. Prevents arm fatigue!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:24 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Mebbe you need this?

Just stick it out the window. Prevents arm fatigue!
Do they make one that is motorized? I need to give signals on the right side as well.
Did you miss the part of my post about smart alecs?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Do they make one that is motorized? I need to give signals on the right side as well.
Did you miss the part of my post about smart alecs?
Sorry, from what you wrote I though that the smart alec response was to suggest that you could drive faster.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:45 PM
DanR
Drifting

I can point by ok to the left with my net installed however it is a bit more difficult to point to the right over the roof!
Old 04-27-2009, 06:03 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Sorry, from what you wrote I though that the smart alec response was to suggest that you could drive faster.
Damn, you are good.
Go pick on someone your own speed.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:17 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Weston
There once was a time when SCCA required the driver's window to be up during their Time Trials events... the reasoning was that it would basically act as a window net and help keep you inside the car if you were to roll. That was when the only safety gear requirement was a Snell M90 or M95 helmet (same as autocross). The following year, they required arm restraints or a window net, and the windows to be down. I'm not sure if they still have that requirement, but I do know that they currently require both windows to be down.

So, it kind of does make some sense to have the driver's window up if you're in a street car without anything else to keep your arms inside the vehicle, but it's far from a perfect solution. And as a wheel-to-wheel racer, I would never want a window while racing, even in wet weather... no escape route, no ventilation, and the possibility of shattered glass on me or on the track (it wont puncture tires, but it is like driving on marbles).

Interesting comment about SCCA regs. If one has to drive with the window down, I would use an arm restraint (It felt weird at first but I got used to it when I raced an open-cockpit Formula Mazda in the 90's), unless the car has a window net. My wife's colleague crushed his left hand when his race car rolled during a track day. Apparently, he had a net but did not use it during a track session (not racing) as he wanted to be able to point. Somehow, a Ferrari ended up t-boning his NSX. His car was totalled; but more importantly, the incident negatively impacted his career as a surgeon.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:04 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

I can't STAND when regions "experiment" with using directionals, drives me NUTS. Give me a clear crisp ARM OVER THE ROOF (or out the side straight) any day of the week, its much more concise and obvious...
Old 04-28-2009, 03:37 AM
Benton
Drifting

I don't care to get into the windows up or down argument, but like others have said, using the turn signals is ridiculous.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:24 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Red
I don't care to get into the windows up or down argument, but like others have said, using the turn signals is ridiculous.
Unless you're in FL where you used to cars driving around with their turn signals on with no intention of turning in the signaled direction.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What I hate is the change in requirement for passing signal type from region to region; this is dangerous.

My first time at Mosport, turn signals were required per the driver's meeting. When you've been hand signaling, you don;'t look for or recognize the directional signals.

Track jefe was adamant that we follow his region's rules.

Quick Reply: Why windows down?