Sponsored by:

Cost effective lightweight wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Thanks for the feedback Geoffrey. (Even before you looked into the specs of the wheel.)

If any of you are indeed interested, I have received further information from the President of the wheel company and have started a thread for interested parties.

If you would rather flame me for trying, please keep that here so we can mock you later.

New thread:

Wheel thread

Thanks and happy motoring.

C.
Chad-

You should probably re-title the thread: spec 944 requires you to race on the stock 944 15*7 cookie cutter or phone dial wheels.

You'll also probably get a better response if you cross-post in the 944 and 944 Turbo sections of the forum. All the racers here will want unique offsets and widths...
Old 04-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Chad, you are right, I probably should see the specifications before I say anything about those wheels specifically.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CornerCarver
Bimmerworld doesn't seem to race what they sell.

http://www.bimmerworldracing.com/cars.php. Check out the wheels they use on their race cars.
BBS is a sponsor of BW. They get to run those for virtually nothing. And...since I designed the liveries of their cars...just might have an idea on that one.

I know of a few folks that have the D-force wheels. I am searching for feedback as well. Thanks so much for your concern.

C.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cory M
Chad-

You should probably re-title the thread: spec 944 requires you to race on the stock 944 15*7 cookie cutter or phone dial wheels.

You'll also probably get a better response if you cross-post in the 944 and 944 Turbo sections of the forum. All the racers here will want unique offsets and widths...
Good feedback. Thanks Cory. I will do just that.

But - don't the SuperCup 944 class run the larger sets (17 & 18 IIRC)

C.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:06 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BBS is a sponsor of BW. They get to run those for virtually nothing. And...since I designed the liveries of their cars...just might have an idea on that one.

I know of a few folks that have the D-force wheels. I am searching for feedback as well. Thanks so much for your concern.

C.
My bad. I was just looking at their new cars.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CornerCarver
My bad. I was just looking at their new cars.
No big deal man. I have a feeling this initiative will not get very far. To much negative ju-ju.

C.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chad, I can see why you might get frustrated with some of the Porsche worshippers, but I don't think that is the case here. I have had bad experiences with lightweight cast wheels and unless they can pass the SAE biaxial and cornering fatigue tests, for me they are not trackworthy.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:32 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
At least for the 993, the OZ's are $830 per wheel, so I'm not sure I'd consider $3300 for a set of wheels to be cheap.
I perfer my car to be fast (in class). If I can make it look decient while doing it fine. Performance and budget are number 1 with me.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Or race a BMW...

Wow now! This thread was all good until you go there. Do we really want to get this started.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow now! This thread was all good until you go there. Do we really want to get this started
No, probably not Its Monday, you have to find something to laugh at just to make it through until Friday.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

But - don't the SuperCup 944 class run the larger sets (17 & 18 IIRC)

C.

Yes. I run 17" BBS Racing wheels. Guess that isn't what you wanted to hear lol

All my other wheels are OEM Porsche 993 rims.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:33 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I'll run Oz or Enkei (or Rays, which I think make Enkei), but I wont run any set of unknown brand because they are cheap and a few guys said they didn't have problems when they ran them. Wheels are nothing to skimp on, a reputation has to be built around your brand or it's a no go. I'd rather find a used set of Porsche factory wheels for cheap and deal with the extra unsprung weight than risk some extra cheap wheel failing.

Point being if the price is too cheap people are going to need some convincing to bite, especially when Oz allegerita's will now be available for $1600-$1700 in 18's. I had to do some research on those to feel comfortable with them.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:15 AM
DWalker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of 5Zigen FN01RC's in 17X10 on the hillclimb car and have also used them on drift cars (that hit walls and other objects often) and have not as yet had a failure, but Im just one guy.
I have had the Gram Lights (designed primarily as a drag wheel but marketed as a road/race/drift wheel) actually bend without much of an impact. I had a set of Forgelines crack a spoke once, and that was a bit interesting. Also thr BBS Monoblock wheels for the earlier GT3 Cup cars in the SWC had a nasty habit of going out of true due to being made a bit too liteweight for the weight of the car and the traction loads imposed.
I have had EXCELLENT luck with Koseis, they are a very nicely made and light wheel.
Enkeis are made by Enkei, not Rays or anyone else. They have a very nice selection of actual track wheels and range from affordable to dont-even-ask pricing. The RPF01's are fairly nice and also reasonably priced.
SSR, WORK, Racing Hart, and a couple others are also good solid wheels at a good pricepoint. Team Dynamics, OZ, etc are also excellent wheels from Europe.

Also dont forget actual racing wheels- Jongbloed, Kodiak, Technomagnesio, Revolution (are they still around?) Compomotive, etc. ALONG WITH BBS that will likely either already have a fitment or will be able to make a set specifically for "reasonable" money. Yes yes I know they are not as cheap as a one piece thrw-away wheel (which ALL one piece wheels are, and should be priced accordingly!) but the value is in being able to change the wheels as your needs change. Instead of buying a set of $1700 wheels this year then selling them off next year for maybe $500 when you change setups, how about spending $2000 on a set of modulars (its really not that much more!) that when you change setups you sell off the bits you dont need, buy the bits you do need either new or used, and go about your merry way WITHOUT losing a fair chunk of money.

Here is my own situation:

I HAVE a set of BBS 17" wheels for the Turbo- 17x10's ( I think) front and 17x12's rear. There are not many compunds or even tires available in 17", so I would LOVE to move up to 18" where there are a gaggle of tires available with a greater compund selectaion. The problems are that 18" BBS do not come up for sale often used, they are usually sold along with whatever car they were bought for, and I cant make 18" wheels out of my centers easily (there may be a way by using something other than BBS hats, but I digress) so would have to buy the 18" BBS wheels - centers, bolt kits, and hats- outright, which are right around $4000 bucks a set! And I really need 2 or three sets. So my options are-
Keep the 17's and find another set or two of used 17" wheels, suffer through the tire issues
Sell the 17's, which are likely worth around $2K as is, and buy 18's when and if they come available used
OR simply buy all new BBS wheels, which will make Mr Woodman a very happy man.

I guess there are other options, like buying a set of CCW/WORK/FORGELINE/Kinesis wheels, but honestly if I am going to spend the bucks I am going with the BBS. Spending $1700 TO $2000+ on a set of new whatever wheels will not give me the same "milage" and value for dollar should I want or need to sell them in the future.

For the 944 Spec however, I would likely buy a set of cheap-ish wheels in the $1000 range, but much over that and I doubt I would be interested.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:14 AM
wanna911
Race Car

My bad, I just remembered it was volks that are made by Rays. Both are great quality though.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:06 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Chad- HUGE kudos to you for taking the lead on this. It has always peeved me greatly that we need to pay $3200 for a good set of wheels that fits. Doesn't make sense since we know that good cheap attractive wheels abound.

I love those new OZ Alleggeritas... just found this post by a TireRack guy:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/t...leggerita.html

Quick Reply: Cost effective lightweight wheels...