Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Hard on Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009 | 11:43 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Default ABS Hard on Brakes?

Is this true? And if so, why. I had not ever heard this before.
Old 04-20-2009 | 11:51 AM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

I would not know why unless its becuase its engaging prematurely but braking is braking abs just stops if from locking up. My 2 cents.
Old 04-20-2009 | 11:58 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

John, what you are hearing is that the brakes, particularly the rear, are abused on cars with stability management and traction control because the computer uses the ABS control unit to assist with wheel spin. It is not uncommon to see a heavy 997 street car wear out its rear brakes prematurely because the computer is using them under acceleration to keep the car straight and wheels not spinning.
Old 04-20-2009 | 12:16 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Thanks Geoffrey. The reason I asked is because VR stated in a recent post entitled "ABS vs No ABS:"

"All that said, my M3 started as a street car, and I try my best not to get into ABS at all, because it beats the **** out of the brakes. Hell, SRF's dont even have ABS!"

I was just wondering the basis for this statement.

What about it VR?
Old 04-20-2009 | 12:29 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

John, the BMW street cars are very much like the 99 - later 911 (non GT3) series cars, they aren't really meant to be abused on the track.
Old 04-20-2009 | 12:57 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

What he said... presence of ABS doesn't impact how often or how hard the brakes are applied - that's up to the driver. Only thing there that the ABS can do is (try to) keep the brake/tire operating at max efficiency. It's the TCS and ESC (what you know as PSM) that'll activate the brakes more... in particular, oversteer interventions hitting on the front brakes to wear them, as well as TCS on the rear axle as appropriate...
Old 04-20-2009 | 07:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bauerjab
Thanks Geoffrey. The reason I asked is because VR stated in a recent post entitled "ABS vs No ABS:"

"All that said, my M3 started as a street car, and I try my best not to get into ABS at all, because it beats the **** out of the brakes. Hell, SRF's dont even have ABS!"

I was just wondering the basis for this statement.

What about it VR?

In my experience, drivers who regularly and heavily engage ABS (irrespective of vehicle) on track experience much higher wear rates of brake components, as well as much higher probabilities of fluid boil, than drivers who don't. Same type of vehicle, same pace, etc.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 04-20-2009 | 07:55 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

It seems intuitively that the plusating ABS would introduce higher heat and forces on the rotors, that normally for near the same overall braking forces with threshold braking, would not. Modulating near 1000hp at rapid fire frequencies, might just shake something lose, in time .
Old 04-20-2009 | 08:02 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
In my experience, drivers who regularly and heavily engage ABS (irrespective of vehicle) on track experience much higher wear rates of brake components, as well as much higher probabilities of fluid boil, than drivers who don't. Same type of vehicle, same pace, etc.

Isn't that very similar to saying that those drivers who brake with more force experience more wear, fluid boil, etc. than those who brake with less force?
Old 04-20-2009 | 08:04 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
Isn't that very similar to saying that those drivers who brake with more force experience more wear, fluid boil, etc. than those who brake with less force?

Actually, IMO, no. Both are true, but are IMO different statements.

Old 04-20-2009 | 09:40 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

I think what VR is saying has merit. One of the first ways a driver gets faster is to brake later. (early throttle on exit would be a better start). This translates into excessive late braking and slow corner entry. Instead of slowing from 130 to say 70mph they keep on the binders to 50mph (instead of releasing). I have noticed that the new GT3 uses rear brake pads at faster rate than the fronts (surprising to me) so Geoffrey's description of the brake system make sense.
Old 04-20-2009 | 10:08 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bobt993
I think what VR is saying has merit. One of the first ways a driver gets faster is to brake later. (early throttle on exit would be a better start). This translates into excessive late braking and slow corner entry. Instead of slowing from 130 to say 70mph they keep on the binders to 50mph (instead of releasing). I have noticed that the new GT3 uses rear brake pads at faster rate than the fronts (surprising to me) so Geoffrey's description of the brake system make sense.
Sure, and it is the most common form of "over braking". In many of today's vehicles, excessively hard braking is met by the intrusion of the ABS system. In cars from earlier days it was met by a cloud of smoke and flat spotted tires.
Old 04-21-2009 | 01:07 AM
amr89c4
Pro

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
John, what you are hearing is that the brakes, particularly the rear, are abused on cars with stability management and traction control because the computer uses the ABS control unit to assist with wheel spin. It is not uncommon to see a heavy 997 street car wear out its rear brakes prematurely because the computer is using them under acceleration to keep the car straight and wheels not spinning.
Geoffrey, could this also be the reason or at least a contributing factor to why I am seeing accelerated rear pad wear on my 89 964 C4???
Old 04-21-2009 | 08:44 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amr89c4
Geoffrey, could this also be the reason or at least a contributing factor to why I am seeing accelerated rear pad wear on my 89 964 C4???
Are you running it with any TCS or PSM active? If so, yes... or have you done anything else to change the car from stock - suspension balance, brake bias, pad material, etc? Any of those can also impact wear rates...
Old 04-21-2009 | 09:02 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Not knowing exactly how the C4 works, I can't say for sure. If the car has a system that uses the brakes for traction and/or stability, then I'd say yes, it is a good possibility.

Quick Reply: ABS Hard on Brakes?