Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 08:49 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
BTW, run the power bleeder (MOTIV) dry - no gooey crap to attract water -
Save the new stuff in the can, ditch the stuff in the Motive.

Going way of question. I just don't get the dry motive thing. Why bother then? It's like cutting off a good date early so you don't have to use one of your condoms. With a full flush you have to stop, depressurise, top off more fluid potentaly spilling it as you pour it in your car, repressurise and repeat at least 4 times. I understand the clean the Motive thing and we all have our own methods that all work in the end. a Motive can be cleaned in about 2 min with some brake cleaner. About the time it takes to stop and top once all the while risking shooting air into the MC.

2 min clean. Fill the cap with spray brake cleaner while holding the cap with the rest dangling by the hose. This flushes out the cap, gasket, tube and dip tube and puts the remaining cleaner into the tank for a first rinse. Slosh the first rinse around and dump the fluid out . Spray more cleaner in the tank, aiming down and around the sides, slosh and dump again. Spray some on the pump, let the fast evaproating cleaner dry, put the pump back on the tank, toss everything back in the box and you are done. The rinse cleaner can be dumped in a tupperware type container and it will dry up leaving only the brake fluid behind for wipe up with a paper towel type disposal. For me the main + is no pouring fluid near the car and paint and no worring about air into the MC. I also like to pump the brake pedal and clutch with the fluid flowing to agitate the fluid for better pickup and removal of setteled out solids. Just don't press the pedals past the normal range of motion you might hit rough parts of the MC cyl wall and cut seals.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:21 AM
MLIN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Going way of question. I just don't get the dry motive thing. Why bother then? It's like cutting off a good date early so you don't have to use one of your condoms. With a full flush you have to stop, depressurise, top off more fluid potentaly spilling it as you pour it in your car, repressurise and repeat at least 4 times. I understand the clean the Motive thing and we all have our own methods that all work in the end. a Motive can be cleaned in about 2 min with some brake cleaner. About the time it takes to stop and top once all the while risking shooting air into the MC.
x2. don't know about the condom part, keeping the motive dry is nice but not worth the pain of topping off reservoir multiple times.

Quick Reply: ATE Blue Racing Fluid