Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATE Blue Racing Fluid

Old 04-17-2009, 12:42 PM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ATE Blue Racing Fluid

Found a sealed can in the garage probably 3-4 years old.

Think its OK to use?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I would use it.

Hopefully Kurt M will chime in with his data involving an open can of ATE and his fluid tester.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

If the can is unopened, its as good as new (because it is),...
Old 04-17-2009, 01:41 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That can is fine and as steve said it is new
Old 04-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Buck
I would use it.

Hopefully Kurt M will chime in with his data involving an open can of ATE and his fluid tester.
I'd be interested in this as well. I always crack open a fresh can when I do a full fluid change at the beginning of the season, but I then reuse the "leftover" the remainder of the season for doing quick bleeds. I've always wondered if it was decremental to use fluid which had been exposed to the open air for a while. I'm sure stuff that was left in an open (and reclosed) can is just as good if not better than the stuff in the car, but what about if I have some left in my power bleeder which is basically open to the air?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Jewels
Rennlist Member

I would toss the stuff in the power bleeder as it had been under compressed air and possible condamination. In the can ..save it for one racing season to be used before any large change on temperture. This is what I do in the race car and it has worked fine over the last 19 years.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:12 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a 1/2 can that I found a few years ago that was first opened and 1/2 used quite a few years before that. I have a true boil point tester and I test the can from time to time when I remember and have the tester out for something else. So far it has lost 4 deg of max temp. That is less than one deg per year since being opened. I have seen in use fluid loose more than this in a few days in the soggy summers around here.

Also I have found that there is sometimes a differential between the fluid in the reservoir and in the calipers. The calipers often have the least water contaminated fluid. With that in mind partial bleeds would only move the more water contaminated fluid to the calipers where the heat is. Much depends on the car use profile and location. Live in the hot end of AZ? you fluid will time out on other forms of contamination such as seal and caliper wall material before it hits the wet boil point. (wet is 3% water uptake) In this case partial flushes will remove what might be the more contaminated and heat stressed fluid.
Live is soggy hot northern VA? Don't partial flush, full flush and suck out the fluid in the reservoir before flushing.

Just an opinion bases on my own non scientific tests. YMMV.

Send me the can I will test it both with the tester and then in my car and report back.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:15 PM
silver44
Instructor

Default Really?

Originally Posted by Jewels
I would toss the stuff in the power bleeder as it had been under compressed air and possible condamination. In the can ..save it for one racing season to be used before any large change on temperture. This is what I do in the race car and it has worked fine over the last 19 years.
I am not casting doubt on this but I have been superstitiously religious about brake fluid (ATE Blue) and open a new can for every race. I was always afraid of it being contaminated and wasn't sure how long that process would take. 19 years is a good long time of testing.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:44 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I have been using Castrol SRF and bleeding twice a year with 10-12 races/season. I cannot imagine bleeding after every session as some people do unless you are seriously overheating your brakes or braking from very,very high speeds in a heavy car. I believe in safety first but also in intelligent conservation. The unopened can of brake fluid is fine to use. And Kurt M's moisture absorption study mirrors what I have seen testing for moisture in hydraulic systems. I think people get a tad carried away when it comes to fluids, both oil and brake. But do what makes you comfortable so you can race with confidence.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:55 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to turn this thread, but do yourself a favor and try SRF or Motul. You'll wonder why you spent so much time bleeding your brakes with that Blue stuff...
Old 04-19-2009, 11:13 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Ditto on getting away from the Blue stuff....It's cheap...but it's really expensive if you know what i mean.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:53 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW, run the power bleeder (MOTIV) dry - no gooey crap to attract water -
Old 04-20-2009, 12:33 AM
silver44
Instructor

+1 on doing what makes you feel safe and comfortable...I bleed my brakes once a day on a race weekend...I like that firm pedal feeling.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:44 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Yes, I have freinds that bleed all the time, constantly fooling around with the fluid. I put Motul in and ran at Hallett around 5 or 6 times and other tracks and never felt the need to bleed the brakes. Always a rock hard brake peddle. I flush once or twice per year unless I have problems. Hallett by the way is pretty hard on brakes.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:24 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+ 1 for Castrol SRF.
Won't consider anything else....well, maybe Motul RBF (what I use in my son's karts) in an emergency.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ATE Blue Racing Fluid