Sponsored by:

LSRPCA DE @ TWS May 2-3 Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 06:09 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Hahahahahaha!! THAT'S funny. Hmmmm. I think I'd like to be around to see my 19th wedding anniversary this fall so......I'll pass!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
When I was married I did it your way, now I do it my way !
Old 05-05-2009, 06:16 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it just me, or does this guy consistently take uninspiring pictures? I mean, talk about dull camera angles! And he uses the same ones going th eother direction, too. Blair Hartsfield, who primarily shoots up at MSR, as well as Drivers Edge events at TWS, uses MUCH more interesting vantage points...

Geri has been doing the NASA events and I really like her pictures. Check them out at http://redlignautosports.com/ her use of angles , filters , etc makes for much more professional looking pics. She took my avitar pic.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Robert and VR, thanks for braving my right hand seat this weekend. I got some great stuff from both of you. I was wanting to get a ride with Viking, but timing didn't work out. Next time...
My pleasure. You did a great job trying out the changes!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:38 PM
jsh
Instructor

Even though I was out of commission with a misfire and check engine light after the warm-up lap in the first session on Sat. morning, I had a great time. Thanks again to West, O.J. & Edwin for rides over the weekend. And double thanks to Greg H. for graciously allowing me to take his Miata out for a session. What a kick.............
Old 05-05-2009, 10:44 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

We have got to have some of the best advanced instructors in the country at tws. Props to dave, hugh, and Robert for some great driving lessons this past weekend.

Also a big thanks to Viking for helping me with suspension setup. Not only is my car now hooked up, but I learned something about observing car handling characteristics. What Viking and I did with both of us driving the car and comparing notes on the response to setup changes could open up a whole new avenue of instruction. Lots of fun too!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Is it just me, or does this guy consistently take uninspiring pictures? I mean, talk about dull camera angles! And he uses the same ones going th eother direction, too. Blair Hartsfield, who primarily shoots up at MSR, as well as Drivers Edge events at TWS, uses MUCH more interesting vantage points...
I wish BH would use a slower shutter speed, all of his photos look like a bunch of cars parked on the track. I thought the TWS guy got some pretty good shots of my car a few weeks ago, better than ones BH has taken(granted at MSR).
Old 05-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
I wish BH would use a slower shutter speed, all of his photos look like a bunch of cars parked on the track. I thought the TWS guy got some pretty good shots of my car a few weeks ago, better than ones BH has taken(granted at MSR).
Yeah, I was more commenting on setting & vantage points. I look at Blair's TWS photos vs. Doug's, and Doug's just aren't taken from places that lend a lot of excitement to what is going on. JMHO....

Old 05-06-2009, 12:52 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the problems with Doug's photos is that he isn't taking them from anywhere that you or I cannot go and shoot from ourselves. I've shot photos from every spot that Doug shoots from at TWS (at the fence in front of T10, T1 high, T15 high, and the infield on the front straight). Whereas BH gets on the 4 wheeler and goes out to places around the track at MSR and ECR that mere civilians cannot access. I don't know if it is just a matter of TWS not allowing Doug access to the rest of the track. It would be cool if he could shoot from some other vantage points. But I do like Doug's photos taken looking down the front straight from T1 high when we are going CCW. Same spot I took these two from at the March clubrace.
Attached Images   
Old 05-06-2009, 01:35 AM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Oh, I don't know about that. I just went through the pictures and he got a lot of really good shots of my instructors. Can't see me in any of them but the instructors look great
Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin
Oh, I don't know about that. I just went through the pictures and he got a lot of really good shots of my instructors. Can't see me in any of them but the instructors look great
He may have been trying to save his camera.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:29 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Resolution:
Doug: 300 pixels/inch; Blair: 72 pixels/inch

Pixel Dimensions:
Doug: 3872 x 2592; Blair: 3959 x 3959

Converting Doug's 300 pixels/inch to 72 pixels/inch for comparison...

Pixel Dimensions:
Doug: 929 x 622; Blair: 3959 x 3959
(Blair's effective resolution is 4 times greater than Doug's)

File Size:
Doug: 4.5 meg; Blair: 1.5 meg
(Blair delivers 4 times the resolution in 1/3 of the space)

Exposure Program:
Doug: Shutter priority; Blair: Aperture Priority
(Doug favors control over motion blur; Blair favors control over depth)

Marketing approach:
Doug: If you attend the drivers' meeting, you know Doug.
Blair: Almost anonymous, and most often seen on his ATV "inside the fence".

A recent piece of Blair's work (cropped, resized and compressed for rennlist)...
Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
One of the problems with Doug's photos is that he isn't taking them from anywhere that you or I cannot go and shoot from ourselves. I've shot photos from every spot that Doug shoots from at TWS (at the fence in front of T10, T1 high, T15 high, and the infield on the front straight). Whereas BH gets on the 4 wheeler and goes out to places around the track at MSR and ECR that mere civilians cannot access. I don't know if it is just a matter of TWS not allowing Doug access to the rest of the track. It would be cool if he could shoot from some other vantage points. But I do like Doug's photos taken looking down the front straight from T1 high when we are going CCW. Same spot I took these two from at the March clubrace.

Look at BH's pictures of Drivers Edge events at TWS. Same track, much better vantage points. IMHO....

Old 05-06-2009, 11:27 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at BH's pictures of Drivers Edge events at TWS. Same track, much better vantage points. IMHO....
I didn't realize Blair shot at TWS. I'll have to look at them.

BTW, here is my contribution to photographic coverage of this past weekend. Happy hour in the garage.
Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2009, 11:47 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TR6
Happy hour in the garage.
________^^^
Rockin' the casbah!!
Old 05-06-2009, 03:11 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
I didn't realize Blair shot at TWS. I'll have to look at them.

BTW, here is my contribution to photographic coverage of this past weekend. Happy hour in the garage.
And that was just the Saturday morning driver's meeting.

Quick Reply: LSRPCA DE @ TWS May 2-3 Roll Call