Sponsored by:

Hans device preferance Q

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 11:15 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hans device preferance Q

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a Hans, and I thought what I wanted was the the sliding tether with the NEW quick release system.
http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/prod-1703.htm

then someone posted that they did not really like the quick release system that it was not all that much better then the standard connection.
option are sliding tether standard connection
sliding tether quick click release.

For those who have a Hans now if you were in the market today what way would you go as far as connectors or release systems go.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:28 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a HANS without the sliding tether but with the quick release system. I don't think I've ever used the quick release system, and in fact, I always get nervous when I put my harnesses on that I haven't accidentally disconnected my tethers by having the quick release ribbons caught in something. I always put my helmet on at the same time as my HANS, and have them connected almost all the time, so I really don't need the quick release system - if I had to do it all over again, I definitely wouldn't get them.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:30 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Frank - I have a Hans with sliding tethers and the standard connection and find it quite convenient. Matter of fact my Hans is more or less "permanently" connected to my helmet That's how I store it (connected) in my Hans carrying bag and I don and take them off as one unit. So didn't find the need for a quick release. Others may have differing preferences.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Rene
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just upgraded to the quick release sliding tether. I like it so far but, I haven’t tried in a race yet. I like the sliding tether but being able to put the helmet on in the car helps with taking the helmet off on the grid between a long grid wait.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:33 PM
DanR
Drifting

have a sliding teathers and almost forget it is there on the track. Did not bother with the quick release as I wanted to know it was securly fastened and not is it isnt it on properly
Old 04-11-2009, 11:33 PM
GT3CAR
Needs to Get a Life
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fuenfer
I have a HANS without the sliding tether but with the quick release system. I don't think I've ever used the quick release system, and in fact, I always get nervous when I put my harnesses on that I haven't accidentally disconnected my tethers by having the quick release ribbons caught in something. I always put my helmet on at the same time as my HANS, and have them connected almost all the time, so I really don't need the quick release system - if I had to do it all over again, I definitely wouldn't get them.
Exactly what he said.
Same experience.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:50 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys that is the word I am getting that the sliding tether is the ticket but the quick release is not that much of an improvement. that the standard connection is not all that difficult to get off. I guess the issue is if the car is on fire does the Quick disconnect get you out quicker but maybe its not that much of a factor. I like simple thinking of the sliding tether and standard connection.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:25 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Frank - I have a Hans with sliding tethers and the standard connection and find it quite convenient. Matter of fact my Hans is more or less "permanently" connected to my helmet That's how I store it (connected) in my Hans carrying bag and I don and take them off as one unit. So didn't find the need for a quick release. Others may have differing preferences.
+1

Originally Posted by DanR
have a sliding teathers and almost forget it is there on the track. Did not bother with the quick release as I wanted to know it was securly fastened and not is it isnt it on properly
+2
Old 04-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Count me the odd man out. I always use the quick release for both putting the helmet on and taking it off.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:31 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

Sliding tether is great.

The standard one makes it impossible to have the car in reverse in the pits and see what it behind you. You just can't twist your head much to the side.

The sliding tether is a major improvement.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:55 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Joe Marko from HMS gave a long safety discussion last year at one of our PCA events. His feeling was that while Hans is selling the sliding tether option, he felt it was not as safe as the fixed. The reason being that if you can slide your head around more to look left and right while driving in the pits (vs. using mirrors and eyeballs), then that means in an accident your head will move more as well, somewhat negating the whole purpose of having a Hans. Based on his advice, I went with what everyone had used in the past, what the pros appear to use, etc. -- regular release and no sliders. As with most, my helmet and Hans are used as a single entity - the works goes on and comes off. I never disconnect as there's no reason to.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:40 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

Frank,

I had the quick releases, and used it often when I was getting in and out of students cars who did not have harnesses. I switched to the sliders, and like it much more. If you want to try the disconnects, I'd be happy to send them to you and you can use them and see what you think.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:10 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
Frank,

I had the quick releases, and used it often when I was getting in and out of students cars who did not have harnesses. I switched to the sliders, and like it much more. If you want to try the disconnects, I'd be happy to send them to you and you can use them and see what you think.
Thanks Chuck, maybe bring them with you when you go to NOR's event at Mid Ohio. Because I instruct I do have to take the helmet off the Hans as you discuss, but if the standard connection is not difficult I still do not need the Quick disconnect. I was under the impression, maybe mistaken that the main purpose of that was for the emergency exit situation?
Old 04-12-2009, 07:31 PM
prg
Pro

Unless your car requires major head contortions to egress, there's no great advantage to the quick disconnects. Sliding tethers are useful in the paddock but this isn't a huge issue in 10 mph traffic.

The sliders true safety utility is if you ever happen to spin off track. With the old non-sliders, you often can't turn your head enough to look over your shoulder to see if oncoming traffic is coming. It is very reassuring to know that you are not about to be collected. Reentering the racing surface with non sliding tethers occasionally requires a leap of faith that noone is going to hit you.

The second big advantage for me of the sliding tethers is being able to turn my head enough to look all the way through carousels and hairpins to see my trackout point early. The sooner I'm looking at the track out point, the quicker I'm back on the power. Others with more skill and courage than I may not have this issue.

For me, the theoretical disadvantage that my head might twist more in a wreck is far outweighed by the above issues.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:50 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

Frank,

I'll bring them to NOR Mid Ohio. I agree with PRG about looking ahead. It seems easier ( for me) to disconnect the tethers with the quick release hardware than with the helmet attachments. However, I prefer the sliders and just keep the HANS on when I go to non-harness student's cars. No big deal.

Quick Reply: Hans device preferance Q