Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hans device preferance Q

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009 | 01:38 AM
95m3racer
Pro

The Sliding tethers actually don't allow your head to move when you are [godforbid]in an accident where it could injure you. The Hans device was originally designed and implmenented to provide a factor of safety and protection from basilar skull fractures and blunt force trauma...even more specifically when your head goes forward. Its at this impact direction when you are most likely to get the deadly injuries that it was designed to help...and I have never heard of a situation where the Hans device either did not do its job or caused more injury: Its always worked. All the angle impact stuff i don't find very relevant since you are less likely to incur these types of injuries which was/is the problem that the HANS device was meant to make safer.
Old 04-13-2009 | 11:24 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

As for the safety of the sliding teathers, one need look no further than F-1. Rubens is using them. I have also seen other F-1 drivers using them (forget). That's the first thing I looked for when I was watching F-1.
Old 04-13-2009 | 12:00 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

There has been much debate regarding the safety of the sliding tethers and how they will react in an accident situation where the head is turned. I've seen compelling arguments for the whipping of the head to a forward facing position as well as no whipping. I can say that I am pretty certain that if your head is turned with the fixed tethers that your head will most likely be spun quickly so both tether go under tension. How bad that is, how fast that happens, etc. probably can't be easily determined without some sled testing.

Originally Posted by bauerjab
As for the safety of the sliding teathers, one need look no further than F-1. Rubens is using them. I have also seen other F-1 drivers using them (forget). That's the first thing I looked for when I was watching F-1.
Do be wary summarily comparing the safety devices in F1 to what you run in your car.

The F1 car is a very different animal. The seat is fully molded to fit the drivers down to at least their knees, the cockpit surrounds don't allow the head to move laterally. The car has crush structures built in to the tub and body work designed to dissipate energy from crashes in a race situation. These are all the benefits of a purpose built race car.

While much of the technology can be used in street cars, the level of effectiveness can vary greatly depending on the system in which it is used.
Old 04-13-2009 | 02:17 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Standard HANS with sliding tether for 95% of folks. It's what I've used for 3 years now -
Old 04-13-2009 | 04:12 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Hans sliding tethers

Originally Posted by RonCT
Joe Marko from HMS gave a long safety discussion last year at one of our PCA events. His feeling was that while Hans is selling the sliding tether option, he felt it was not as safe as the fixed. The reason being that if you can slide your head around more to look left and right while driving in the pits (vs. using mirrors and eyeballs), then that means in an accident your head will move more as well, somewhat negating the whole purpose of having a Hans. Based on his advice, I went with what everyone had used in the past, what the pros appear to use, etc. -- regular release and no sliders. As with most, my helmet and Hans are used as a single entity - the works goes on and comes off. I never disconnect as there's no reason to.

Dealers that attended the latest HANS training at PRI in December were instructed that the sliding tethers are actually better than using the fixed tethers during an impact. I didn't see Joe Marko or his staff at that particular meeting. If the fixed tethers are not equal in length on the device, the head can be turned to one side or the other in an accident. The sliding tethers even out the load and does not cause the tethers to pull to one side or the other.

I've used both the fixed tethers and the sliding tethers and agree that the sliding tethers eliminated my problem of not being able to turn around to see what was behind me while backing out of the paddock.

Regarding quick disconnects, we do recommend them to customers that are in tight spaces where they have a full rollcage, head wrap seat, etc. and may need to remove the device prior to exiting the vehicle. Otherwise, go with the post-anchor attachment if you are concerned about accidentally pulling on the orange tethers to disconnect the anchors. Some customers velcro the orange tethers to the front of their helmet so they don't interfere with the shoulder belts.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 04-13-2009 | 06:44 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 95m3racer
...All the angle impact stuff i don't find very relevant since you are less likely to incur these types of injuries..
It is generally understood that frontal impact occur less frequently than offset impacts.
Old 04-13-2009 | 06:46 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
Dealers that attended the latest HANS training at PRI in December were instructed that the sliding tethers are actually better than using the fixed tethers during an impact.
Were test data presented?
Old 05-04-2009 | 12:03 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

about to get the hans but was confused on the type of anchor...i do not want the quick disconnects but there seems to be 2 other choices, LW2 and post anchors? what is the difference?

Size Degree Anchors Tethers Price
Medium 20 LW2 Fixed Tethers $995.00 Buy Now
Medium 20 LW2 Sliding Tether $995.00 Buy Now
Medium 20 Post Anchors Fixed Tethers $1045.00 Buy Now
Medium 20 Post Anchors Fixed QD Tethers $1080.00 Buy Now
Medium 20 Post Anchors Sliding Tether $1045.00 Buy Now
Medium 20 Quick Click Fixed Tethers $1045.00 Buy Now
Medium 20 Quick Click Sliding Tether $1045.00 Buy Now

mk
Old 05-04-2009 | 12:32 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

The post is the traditional anchor system used on most of the ones you see out there.

The LW2 is a 'permanent' anchor. You can't detach the HANS from the helmet.

I'd highly recommend not getting the LW2 unless you are 100% sure you want the solid anchor.
Old 05-04-2009 | 07:26 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I've got the quick release on mine...really like them. In fact, I've got a spare pair of quick releases if anyone is looking for them.

Rick
Old 05-04-2009 | 09:17 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 95m3racer
All the angle impact stuff i don't find very relevant since you are less likely to incur these types of injuries which was/is the problem that the HANS device was meant to make safer.
Interesting, especially since all the H&N restraint manufacturers continue to pay for and perform off axis sled tests at certified facilities.
Why would they continue to perform a test that is less likely to occur and something for which the device was not designed to protect against?
Should the standards be rewritten accordingly?
Old 05-04-2009 | 09:55 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

The HANS site isn't very helpful about the tethers but this is what I found:

http://hansdevice.com/shop_online/Tether-Upgrade-Kits

note: I now have the sliding ones, after having the original fixed type -- i MUCH prefer the sliding. It was very difficult with the originals to drive in reverse or see sideways. I don't understand LW2, sorry.

Quick Reply: Hans device preferance Q