Sponsored by:

which lap timer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:04 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Animus
+1 for Kgorman and Traqmate (data is going to be awesome)
+2......
Old 04-09-2009, 09:13 PM
tdf360
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
what's the hot setup for an in-car lap timer these days?
I was looking for something reasonably priced that would give me lap times and a readout of speeds and g-loads around the track so I can improve (without going to the time and expense of a pro-style data logger) and ended up with the Performance Box from VBox. Particularly helpful if you get some driver coaching so you can see where the coach is faster (and slower, that's important, too). It's around $500, and it's GPS based so no external equipment required.

http://www.vboxusa.com/performancedr...ormancebox.php

Gary
Old 04-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Gary R's old MaxQdata system (GPS 5Hz processor with pocketPC plus all the chargers etc.) which worked just great for its cost. www.maxqdata.com It is GPS based so no beacons. I just velcroed the receiver to my front dash and velcroed the pocketPC to my steering wheel and running laptimes just sprung up. Data acquisition (incl lat G's) is also part of the system but I used it mainly for its running laptime feature. It was even used as a backup altimeter and for groundspeed when flying. I will be purchasing an iq3 so it will be for sale if anyone is interested ($300 for complete system shipped CONUS or Canada).

Last edited by Giacomo; 04-13-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:11 AM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on the performance box, guess its all depending what you already have in the car, but the PB works fine for base stuff, lap timing for me seems highly accurate compared with transponder systems from the circuits, the software for the PC is good fun too.
H
Old 04-14-2009, 10:49 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

My new PocketPC-based cell phone has an accelerometer and GPS built into it. Looks like the software is ranging from free to $20, and they've got all the features of far more expensive dedicated systems. Anyone have any experience with PocketGForce, gMeter or ilaptiming?

Incredible how technology has converged. Phone, laptop, camera, camcorder, mp3 player, email, web browser, movie player, and now track data acquisition, all rolled into a tiny little candybar I can slip in my pocket
Old 04-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Giacomo
I have Gary R's old MaxQdata system (GPS 5Hz processor with pocketPC plus all the chargers etc.) which worked just great for its cost. www.maxqdata.com It is GPS based so no beacons. I just velcroed the receiver to my front dash and velcroed the pocketPC to my steering wheel and running laptimes just sprung up. Data acquisition (incl lat G's) is also part of the system but I used it mainly for its running laptime feature. It was even used as a backup altimeter and for groundspeed when flying. I will be purchasing an iq3 so it will be for sale if anyone is interested ($300 for complete system shipped CONUS or Canada).
Thing does pretty darn well doesn't it? Add to that (IIRC) the pocket PC has wireless internet access at most tracks too!
Old 05-22-2009, 03:23 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for a bit more data (Pun intended)

of the products referred to here, and on a few other threads (traqmate, drift box, etc), how much work is it to get tachometer, throttle position, etc? i prefer a GPS unit, easy to mount, etc.

i don't mind paying for a good unit that i'll use and be able to transfer to a new car but i'd prefer not to spend a fortune on install.

thanks,

brendan
Old 05-23-2009, 04:10 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bump

Quick Reply: which lap timer?