Sponsored by:

Engine shelf life

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:26 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts
Question Engine shelf life

If I want to build an engine and have it waiting in the wings in case something happens to my main horse, how long can it sit there before it needs attention again? Will the seals start to go bad if it just sits in one position? Do I have to worry about corrosion on the inside?

What about oiling of the engine? Should the engine be run once with oil and then stowed away, or just leave the assembly lube in there?

At the very least I would assume you'd want to plug up any openings to keep creatures from making the engine its home.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting question. I had a spare motor that was just sitting for about 3 years. 2 of the valves wouldn't seat when we tried to do a cold leakdown (I know, I know - should only do one hot). The other 4 were under 3%. The motor was perfect when it was removed. I installed it and it was run for a few hundred miles, and after a hot leakdown all cylinders were 2% or less. Some rust/crud/carbon must have gotten onto 2 valve seats.

In retrospect, I would spray lube into the cylinders, and rotate the engine a few turns every 4~6 months. Make sure to leave it in a different position. You could also not tighten down the valves. I can't imagine that any seals would be negatively affected by not running. Also, I probably would not initially run it, because of all of the moisture that would be produced and then left to dry out while it sat.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:03 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
If I want to build an engine and have it waiting in the wings in case something happens to my main horse, how long can it sit there before it needs attention again? Will the seals start to go bad if it just sits in one position? Do I have to worry about corrosion on the inside?

What about oiling of the engine? Should the engine be run once with oil and then stowed away, or just leave the assembly lube in there?

At the very least I would assume you'd want to plug up any openings to keep creatures from making the engine its home.
When I built my spare 944 motor I let it sit for at least 1 year before installing it. It was a fresh build and put a coating of oil on the cylinders and bearsings an crank. Then I left the cam off to keep the valves closed. I plugged any holes left it in the stand in the garage. Once I was ready I put cam on it and finished the externals. I filled with oil and hand turned it a few times to do the t-belts. It started up an has run fine. It did have a minor leak on the first session, but it stopped right after that.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi,

Properly prepared, one can store an engine for a long time and that especially holds true for ones that are not ferrous,...

Seals won't last forever so be mindful of what you use when you build the engine as they are NOT all the same quality.

Rotate it every 6 months and you'll be OK.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If I am assembling an engine that isn't going to be run immediately, I use different assembly lube than if it is going to be immediately started.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:34 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

I plan to rebuild the motor I just pulled from the racer in my off time over the next year or so. I don't know that I want to swap motors every year... maybe every couple at most.

Geoffrey, any chance you could share what those lubes are? Right now I use Redline on the moving parts... for long term is something else better?
Old 04-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If the engine sits, you want to use a thicker assembly lube rather than the standard red thick oily assembly lube you might use on a standard engine build. Redline works well...
Old 04-02-2009, 06:30 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy a crate engine from Porsche, how have they been stored and for how long?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:41 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

+1 on the redline....Keeping moisture (and critters) out is the key, if you're in a hot dry climate not too much to worry about, but if you have moisture it can cause problems. A light coat of rust on a valve stem, piston ring, cam, or follower can lead to premature guide or lobe wear, biggest pita is a stuck ring. If I'm doing a project where it's going to sit I coat the internals with Aeroshell 2f, then use plenty of assembly lube, particularly sure to coat the seals completely to keep them from drying out. Plug up all the openings with a dessicant strip with a plastic or foil over the top and you're good to go. If its crated or just put away after assembly it's pretty easy, a bigger issue is if you dyno the motor and then crate it, then you have moisture and other fluids to consider...
Old 04-03-2009, 12:56 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

So do you think 3-4 years would be a reasonable time period if properly prepped and stowed?
Old 04-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
So do you think 3-4 years would be a reasonable time period if properly prepped and stowed?
Absolutely. I would say if properly stored, much much longer.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:37 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

You should have no problem if you prep it properly and keep it dry...that said if you were thinking about keeping it that long I would build up the shortblock and assemble the head and then put it in storage as major components. It stores easier, if you need to replace a head or steal a part for another motor your not cracking a full build. Mostly though things change....you decide to upgrade cams, pistons, run a different class etc...rather have it in bits than tear it down to build it again...(been there done that...)

Quick Reply: Engine shelf life