Sponsored by:

Learn from my mistake$$

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:00 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Learn from my mistake$$

I sold my 993 rollbar last December to a guy in Canada. He wired funds, and arranged a UPS pickup w/ his commercial account number, and I thought nothing of it. He was excited to get the bar, and we even talked afterwards with him sending me pictures of the customer's project car he was using it for. He was even a Rennlist sponsor.

A few weeks ago ( 3 months after the sale), my receptionist got a call from UPS, saying that the receiver had refused to pay the shipping charge, and that UPS had attempted to collect for the past 90 days, and, that I was now responsible for the shipping charge. I was told that even though the item was confirmed delivered, if the the receiver refuses to pay shipping, then the shipper must pay. They apologized, and said they knew it was unfair, but that that was the rule.

In that 90 days, the company must have gone out of business, because I've exhausted every phone, email, physical address I had for him. He is Keith Sawatsky of Rennsport Systems Calgary. If anyone knows of a contact for him, I'd love to get in touch in hoping that there was just some kind of miscommunication.

This happened right before I sold my 993, so I talked to my banker about safely transferring money, and learned a few things that I didn't know. Wire transfer is the safest method of payment, as once funds have landed in your account, it cannot be reversed. Cashier's check is safe, but takes 7-9 business days to "really" clear. He said there were a lot of scams with them currently, and that even though funds will show in the account, it can still be reversed. Even cash, he said you have to be careful with. He said it was common for large amounts for part of the money to be real, and part counterfeit. He said to take it to the bank with the buyer, and have them run it though their machine to verify it's real.

It's sad you have to be so careful nowadays, but atleast my lesson learned in this case was only a few hundred bucks, and not something big.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:10 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The biggest problem in all this is the border. For two countries that supposedly have free trade, it's unbelievable how difficult and expensive it is to get things over the border.

As a Canadian it drives me nuts. I buy lots of parts from the US. There is no market in Canada so I have no choice. Often the part ends up being twice the price by the time it hits my hands.

I recently sold a used wing to a guy in Ohio. I paid $150 to ship it. If I lived in Buffalo, just an hour away, it would have cost me $30.

Believe me. It's worse to be Canadian.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:05 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Happens in the USA too. I solde a watch to a guy in N.Carolina. Funds cleared and everything was ok. He gave me his UPS shipper number and I used that at UPS to ship the watch. 4 weeks later I got a letter from UPS saying the shipper number was a bad number and I have 10 days to pay the shipping.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:26 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Keith has been an avid rennlister for a while. I'm a little surprised that he would dissapear like that. I really doubt that he would intentionally leave you on the hook like that. Which number do you have for him? 243-2234?

What really pisses me off is when someone refuses to ship to Canada. There is aboslutely no difference other than an extra customs form that has to be filled out. (takes 1 minute) Other than that, it's exactly as much of a risk as it is to send to anyone in the states.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

I shipped a tool to Indonesia and the shipping was over $500.00. The person I was dealing with was a total PITA to boot. They arrainged shipping their own shipping with Fedex. Driver showed up, filled out all of the paperwork himself, and took the package. I don't know what happened but Fedex never got paid, and Fedex tried to collect the money from us. Said we had to pay because the reciever didn't. I told them to take a hike. The customer somehow got the package without paying Fedex, but Fedex had no recourse with us as all of the documents originated from the other end. They were just trying to get lucky by bullying us.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought euro tail lights for my 993 from Germany (eBay) where they don't do much Paypal so I had to use Western Union money transfer. In the end the ******* took my money but never sent the lights...
Old 04-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And our government is always promoting "free trade". There is nothing free about it. I bought a Europipe from Belgiam and had to pay the duty. Government should be changed to Liarment.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

We need to invade & make Canada teh 51st state.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 04-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 221 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
We need to invade & make Canada teh 51st state.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
You just want our oil, water, wood, quality strippers, good beer and solvent banks.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:37 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

What's your point?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I no longer deal with PIA's.Remember Winward !
Old 04-01-2009, 05:17 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this happen before. If the receiver or 3rd party refuses to pay, you get stuck with the bill. I will no longer ship using the receiver's or 3rd party account number.

Shipping to other countries is a hassle, there is no question about it.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:39 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by David Edwards

... talked to my banker ... and learned ... Cashier's check is safe, but takes 7-9 business days to "really" clear. He said there were a lot of scams with them currently, and that even though funds will show in the account, it can still be reversed.
Reversed? Don't think so. Not if it was a validly issued legitimate cashier's check from a reputable bank. A seller can verify the authenticity a cashier's check by contacting the issuing bank.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Sounds like a real PITA.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
You just want our ... quality strippers
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2009, 07:05 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David Edwards
I sold my 993 rollbar last December to a guy in Canada. He wired funds, and arranged a UPS pickup w/ his commercial account number, and I thought nothing of it. He was excited to get the bar, and we even talked afterwards with him sending me pictures of the customer's project car he was using it for. He was even a Rennlist sponsor.

A few weeks ago ( 3 months after the sale), my receptionist got a call from UPS, saying that the receiver had refused to pay the shipping charge, and that UPS had attempted to collect for the past 90 days, and, that I was now responsible for the shipping charge. I was told that even though the item was confirmed delivered, if the the receiver refuses to pay shipping, then the shipper must pay. They apologized, and said they knew it was unfair, but that that was the rule.

In that 90 days, the company must have gone out of business, because I've exhausted every phone, email, physical address I had for him. He is Keith Sawatsky of Rennsport Systems Calgary. If anyone knows of a contact for him, I'd love to get in touch in hoping that there was just some kind of miscommunication.

This happened right before I sold my 993, so I talked to my banker about safely transferring money, and learned a few things that I didn't know. Wire transfer is the safest method of payment, as once funds have landed in your account, it cannot be reversed. Cashier's check is safe, but takes 7-9 business days to "really" clear. He said there were a lot of scams with them currently, and that even though funds will show in the account, it can still be reversed. Even cash, he said you have to be careful with. He said it was common for large amounts for part of the money to be real, and part counterfeit. He said to take it to the bank with the buyer, and have them run it though their machine to verify it's real.

It's sad you have to be so careful nowadays, but atleast my lesson learned in this case was only a few hundred bucks, and not something big.
Same thing happened to me last summer only it was shipping from Canada to the US. Recipient gave me a commerical UPS account number to use for shipping, but the shipping cost was rejected at delivery and I was billed. I was pissed that they delivered the item when the recipient refused to pay but those were the rules. Luckily it turned out to be a misunderstanding and the recipient did pay in the end. Hope it works out for you.

Quick Reply: Learn from my mistake$$