Sponsored by:

Shopping for 18" Wheels - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:24 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Carroll/Toronto
For track work I would recommend avoiding 3-piece. With all the heat and stress they will likely leak. I've had HRE and BBS. Both are reputed to be excellent. Even real BBS Magnesium Motorsport rims. They all leak. It's a huge pain in the a$$. I've even had the modular bolts break and the rim halves separate.

2-piece is fine. If the rim is one piece from inner to outer lip you are fine. But try to avoid 3-piece.

Which of course is why Porsche delivers all their race cars on 3 piece BBS rims right?....
Old 04-01-2009, 01:05 AM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Talk to the guys that use them. They leak. When you're mounting and remounting all the time you won't notice. When you leave the car for a few weeks and find 25lbs in a couple of tires that's leaking.

The problem is the seals. The BBS Motorsport wheels have a rubber gasket between the halves. With lots of heat cycles and a number of years, the rubber gets hard and leaks. To fix it you need to unmount the tire and run a big 2" bead of silicon around the seam. It's been better since. Gotta replace the valves every year or two as well.

My point is that 3-piece rims require maintenance. And 1 or 2 piece rims are low maintenance. Porsche may show all the cars with the 3 piece rims in the brochure, but take a look around Daytona. You'll notice a lot of teams have switched to one piece for reliability and weight.

I only run 3-piece because that's my only choice. I run 18x9 & 18x11 with an early 930 offset.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the CCW classics, but they are just that...classics, with the "classic" look...no offense, they look great but I would like to move on from that look.

I am headed towards another set of CCWs but just do not want to spend the $3K and just found out today I may not have the $3K as the guy who was buying my spare motor pulled the plug.

I like the look of the OZ wheels, just would like to see a set in person and possibly Tire Rack could get more in...in this mellenium??

The Volk wheels, eh, I like 'em, but yes, they're pricey...

MY "dream" wheels may not be my "dream" wheels anymore, I LOVE FIKSES but that monochromatic three-piece look where everything is silver, polished, silver is starting to bore me...although I LOVE my FM-10s. I want a set of Mach Vs but they're about $4K now - UGH.

I'm headed towards CCWs in satin black or a dark gray, I kind of like that look but it is an "unknown" on my ride as I'm wondering how they will look. I have a lot of black on the car but it's shiney black...so maybe the satin wouldn't be that great??

Tim, I got your PM, thanks for the offer...may consider as that's the wheels I have now...you saw them this weekend...they work VERY well but it pisses me off that you cannot stack them together in a tire rack or they'll marr each other up as they touch.

Will that change if I mount Hoosiers on them?? I notice the 18" Hankooks don't have that little "curb" that protects the wheel lip but Hoosiers do?

SHOOT...so many options, so little $$$$$$$$...what the hell am I racing for????
Old 04-01-2009, 01:16 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

MAN, just looked at the OZ Allegeritas again, they do look sharp.

Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get a set...but then I DESPISE regret...I just can't see using a non-forged wheel for racing??
Old 04-01-2009, 01:20 AM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

I've raced 2 seasons on them so far and even won a Championship. Haven't bent one yet.

http://www.driversmeeting.com/pcarroll/albums/4

Old 04-01-2009, 01:24 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

I'm digging the Matte Graphite Gray, that's the one...right there.

Peter, not really worried about bending...it's the breaking that I fear!

I've seen about a half dozen wheels break out the centers and put a car on it's suspension...U.G.L.Y.

I'll take your word for it, if you're having luck with them maybe I can make one of those "REALLY??" phone calls to Tire Rack and ask if the back-order is REALLY that long??
Old 04-01-2009, 01:31 AM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

I like the grey too but mine are the brilliant silver. Though not as brilliant with 4 days of brake dust and dirt.

I've seen more cracked forged wheels than in quality cast. I've seen HRE, Fikse, CCW, with cracks. I suspect the high quality pressure casting (BBS, OZ) is able to flex without breaking whereas the forged does not absorb the impacts as well. Though my father did have a crack in his BBS LMs. I've seen lots of cheap wheels bend/break - Kosei etc.

If you're racing you do need good quality to be safe.

See here: http://www.pcaucr.org/site/page.jsp?RimFailures

A machinist friend pointed out that it could be due to the machining of the forged wheels. The way they are cut leaves stressed points that may encourage cracking. Apparently the pressure casting does not have this problem.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:39 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Yeah, I've heard of Fikses and Forgelines having issues, but NO problems with my 17" Fikse FM-10s (now my rain wheels) since "birth". I ordered them new about 4 years ago...love 'em and will probably NEVER sell them as they'll fit a 993, 996...they're beautiful, I disassemble and hand polish them every Winter.

Wow, saw that crack on the Fikse, that would horrify me and make me wonder what the hell caused it. I beat the hell out of my rims and have VERY stiff springs...I curb the car in the esses @VIR like everyone else...guess I've been lucky.

I think I would take a chance on the Allegeritas if they were more available...I just don't want to order and pay for a set then wait two months.

But then, I did mention earlier, I THOUGHT I had the $$$$$$ until earlier today.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:21 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's something to take a look at - would be curious to see what people have heard. i saw one in person today and it's a beautiful, three piece wheel, 18", weighed 18lbs.

i'm told they have a few ALMS customers and are very price competitive with quick turnaround.

http://www.jongbloedracing.com/ <-- apparently their old website sucked so they are redoing it

brendan
Old 04-01-2009, 02:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

wheels.
do you want look, saving, wt, durability, reliablity, speed of service, replacement parts... you take your pick of 3-4 above qty, you can't have it all.

BBS motorsport and BBS motorsport one piece wheels are great stuff, but very $$$. for 7gt3 sizes they are about $6-7k a set. if you bent something, it will take you a LONG time to get them repaired. but they are light, beautiful and strong.

OZ, never liked them and certainly not the cast one's.

fikses, yes big name, i got 3 sets or was it 4 sets, they bent like paper i can't keep track of how many i chucked away. and it takes a long time to repair. more than 10 day of turn around time is not really acceptable to me. on avg, i am on rack every 10 days or so. i dont like their service.

forgeline, no experience.

jongbloed, small but very strong 3 pcs stuff. ryan over there is great, stand behind the product. you call and you get to talk to the guys making the wheel directly. no finger pointing etc.

CCW. 2800/set is not expensive. i actually told john at CCW to raise his prices. ppl will still buy it. i called on monday, told him i need them for weekend, they arrived thursday night. custom offset, cut for each order. i dont like the classics, but they are dirt cheap. you take your pick.

if you want to save some money, consider used, but you are taking a chance.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:14 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice review, John.

I'll vouch for the durability of Jongbloed wheels.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:53 AM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick and dirty response. My OZ's were not worth the money. I had serious issues keeping weights on my Volks due in part I now believe to the tapered barrel design. The CCW's I have and John's service add up to the way to go.

Last edited by CT03911; 04-01-2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Accelerator
Racer

Service from CCW is very good but I have problems spinning the tires around on the wheels. I tried dimpling and even cut bi-directional chards in the bead area and all to no avail. It's not as bad with the Michelin slicks but the Hoosiers moved a lot; front from braking and rear from acceleration.

Anyone else have this problem with CCW? I have 2 sets of C10,'s and another set -- I forgot the model.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:15 PM
CT03911
Banned

Accelerator, your installer may be using too much lube when mounting the tire. I remember CCW/John cautioning me on this when I got mine. The first few sets of tires we dry mounted them but it was a huge pita. The last set and one I just mounted we used a little lube to make the install easier. I will mark the wheel and tire to again watch for this but saw no issues on the last set where just a little lube was used.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Accelerator
Racer

Have tried dry mounting also and still have the problem.

Quick Reply: Shopping for 18" Wheels - Suggestions?