Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using the DeFNDer head/neck restraint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using the DeFNDer head/neck restraint?

Anything good or bad to report?

I also wouldn't mind a little feedback on the relative pluses and minuses of sliding anchors and/or quick-release anchors.

Thanks.

Last edited by Potomac-Greg; 03-27-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:26 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I purchased the Defnder as my first head/neck restraint system, so I cannot compare it against another manufacturer's product like Hans. I do not have a halo seat and thought the added feature of lateral stability would be a plus. The system is easily donable in the car. I will get in the car and start the process of putting on the horseshoe (for lack of a better word) by threading the seat belts in place and then putting on the helmet. Attaching the anchors in place is not a big deal. It was a bit of a pain until I got the tethers adjusted to the proper length.

As stated earlier I do not have anything to compare it against but once your strapped in and your belts are pulled tight your head movement is really restricted, so you may need to adjust your rear view mirrors, also it restricts how far down/through/around a corner you can see. One benefit is that I have a HANS friendly seat and the horseshoe locks into the seat once the belts are snugged down.

I will not drive my car again without some type of head/neck restraint.

Hopes this helps.

Last edited by rlm328; 03-27-2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: spiling and gramr
Old 03-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by rlm328
I purchased the Defnder as my first head/neck restraint system, so I cannot compare it against another manufacturer's product like Hans. I do not have a halo seat and thought the added feature of lateral stability would be a plus. The system is easily donable in the car. I will get in the car and start the process of putting on the horseshoe (for lack of a better word) by threading the seat belts in place and then putting on the helmet. Attaching the anchors in place is not a big deal. It was a bit of a pain until I got the tethers adjusted to the proper length.

As stated earlier I do not have anything to compare it against but once your strapped in and your belts are pulled tight your head movement is really restricted, so you may need to adjust your rear view mirrors, also it restricts how far down/through/around a corner you can see. One benefit is that I have a HANS friendly seat and the horseshoe locks into the seat once the belts are snugged down.

I will not drive my car again without some type of head/neck restraint.

Hopes this helps.

Thanks, Bob. Good info.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:11 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that search works great but I posted this question earlier this spring in this forum and got some decent answers. I've since purchased harnesses but have not dropped the dime on the H&N restraint yet.

Here you go:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...hlight=defnder
Old 03-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by schwank
Not that search works great but I posted this question earlier this spring in this forum and got some decent answers. I've since purchased harnesses but have not dropped the dime on the H&N restraint yet.

Here you go:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...hlight=defnder
Thanks. We are at the same point. The guilt is killing me. The "sport" HANS seems like a better value than the pro HANS, but when I get it in the size I need, it's still a lot more expensive than the DefNder. I'm a cheap bastard, and I am trying not to make a mistake!
Old 03-27-2009, 06:10 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

One of the major advantages of the Defnder over the HANS is that it locks the shoulder harness in place, i.e. the shoulder harness will not slide off in the advent of an impact which is one of the issues with the HANS.

You are wise to invest in a head/neck restraint system with a harness.

From the referenced search, no one who responded had yet tried a Defnder, so I believe Greg's new thread is not a rehash of old data.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:14 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I ordered mine this morning. You can now get them in full black (no green).

Good thread here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1151847
Old 03-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I sent a PM offline to Greg as I saw this pop up so I didn't clutter it up with too much commercial post side of things before others chimed in.

I have them and carry them. I really like the DefNder. As I have said in earlier threads I spent a lot of time at the show checking it out and finding reasons not to like the device. I had a HANS that I used in the formula car, just an FYI.

It has the same recommendations for seatbelt architecture as HANS, and uses the same holes in the helmet so if you have a predrilled helmet you are good to go. Otherwise there is a very straight forward template to use.

The belt guides are a nice addition and while I feel it is an improvement it's not a replacement for a well setup shoulder belt system (sorry to harp on this point but it is often overlooked).

The only issues I have seen with the DefNder fitment wise has been for barrel chested people, large chin wickers on helmets and those in a very reclined seating position. Very much the same issues people have had with the HANS.

Any questions or pictures people want please send me a message or post here and I'll get the answers for you.

I have them in stock, free shipping (only the green ones right now). 549 shipped. If for any reason you don't like it you are welcome to return it.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:56 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

We've had a handful of customers upgrade the DefNder to a Hans because the green stabilizer bars sit kind of high and can interfere with the helmet - you can't turn your head side to side (if you have a helmet with a lip on it or have no neck). The shoulders can be adjusted slightly.

One thing to remember - HANS is SFI and FIA approved, DefNder is only SFI approved at this time. The DefNder does have some neat features though.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 03-30-2009, 04:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
One of the major advantages of the Defnder over the HANS is that it locks the shoulder harness in place, i.e. the shoulder harness will not slide off in the advent of an impact which is one of the issues with the HANS.
You must have missed the memo.....there is no issue with the belts coming out from under a HANS device in an off axis/lateral impact (wings, no wings, friction material, no friction material, standard 3" shoulder belts, HANS specific tapered 3"-2" shoulder belts).

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, especially since Sir Isaac Newton isn't here to chime in.

IMHO, the safest way to employ a HANS (assuming you have all the geometries correct for you, your cockpit and (containment) seat, would be to use the 'double shoulder belt' system...4 shoulder belts.

BTW, does anyone know the status of the lawsuit brought by H&D against the folks who make the DeFender (whom IIRC were originally with Leatt) ?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:02 PM
95m3racer
Pro

I believe there were actually a couple lawsuits, one from Leatt as well. Seems there has not been any CD orders, as they are still selling/shipping.

http://www.leatt-corp.com/stat_press8.htm

Quick Reply: Anyone using the DeFNDer head/neck restraint?