Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How do you rate the new changes in F1
I like the changes, they help the sport.
40.00%
I'm impartial, I don't think they help or hurt.
1.33%
I like some of the changes and dislike others.
46.67%
I don't like pretty much any of the new changes.
5.33%
I dont watch F1
1.33%
Too early to tell.
5.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

F1, (how do you rate the new changes????)

Old 03-29-2009, 05:29 AM
wanna911
Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F1, (how do you rate the new changes????)

Based on these points (forgive me if I leave out some)

1) Aero
2) Kers
3) Tires
4) Pit speeds, Open Pit during cautions and any other minor changes

1) Aero - The FIA in all their brilliance didn't consider the fact that a GIGANTIC front wing would make it MORE difficult to pass (at least without crashing) and only result in more damage to more cars. So passing is now done by running into each other.

2) Kers - I actually like the KERS, it is a cat and mouse game and could actually lead to more passing. It's still a gimmick though and with the tire gamble change, absolutely unneeded.

3) Tires - I like the tires deal, but it's going to fail because everyone will just run the SS tires for the first session because if your lead gets wiped out by a caution or something or you're stuck on SS for any period of time, you are a sitting duck.

4) No real comment other than the safety car being extra slow and cautions too long. I like faster pit speeds, and open pits during cautions.

OVERALL

D-

The new rules have leveled the playing field TEMPORARILY so in that aspect they have accomplished something.

BUT

All in all, this is turning racing into a circus of people trying to make passing with gimmicks instead of racing, degrades the true intent of the sport. Let the drivers and engineers decides who is passing.

The team strategist is almost more important than the driver now (unless it's Piquet) and that is trash. I don't see any improvement over last year other than MM and Ferrari being knocked slap off the pedistal, though when Ferrari gets a diffuser, it's only a matter of time before they are back in front. Cant say the same for MM because they are plumb slow.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:17 AM
jenk12m
Addict
Rennlist Member

i think everyone will catch on to the tire strategy as well and get the SS out of the way early. the aero seems to have worked somewhat as everyone was a lot closer to each other this yr. which makes it more interesting to watch, but as far as the huge front wing. uhhhhh, i dont know....
i do like the faster pit lane speeds and now they can come in under yellow
Old 03-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Chads996
Super User

I am in the middle. I see some potential safety concerns.

Tires are a big one. It is going to take some serious management on the part of the team and the driver to find the best solution for the wide gap in the tire performance levels.

KERS - Not sure. Some teams that do not even have the system are running plenty fast. I PRAY that a safety worker does not get harmed by this system in the event of a crash.

Rear down force (aero) - I think the rear diffuser will be a none issue as more teams place the Brawn GP style diffuser. In the on-camera interview, Ron Dennis even hinted about doing that. Sooner than later.

Overall, I like the close racing, but think the safety trade offs may not be worth it.

C.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:48 AM
mdrums
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the close racing but a lot of the F1 drivers need to learn how to drive in traffic.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:48 AM
smlporsche
Super User

I think overall I'm in favor of the changes with the exception of the tires being so far apart in performance. It was this situation that forced Vettel & Kubica to push too far and Nikko to fall off.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:57 AM
mdrums
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche View Post
I think overall I'm in favor of the changes with the exception of the tires being so far apart in performance. It was this situation that forced Vettel & Kubica to push too far and Nikko to fall off.
Nikko's race strategy was off for the amount of laps his team had him putting of the SS tires.

Kubica need to learn how to drive with another car around him.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Brinkley
User

I like the aero changes if they promote more overtaking, we will have to wait to see if that holds true. I felt that there was more passing during the first race so that's promising.

As with others, I am worried that a corner worker, attempting to help an injured driver, either out of a burning car or another situation where fast extraction is needed, will be hit by the 200 AMPS!!!! Steve M. from SPEED stated the system can discharge 200 amps. As we all know it's the amps not the volts that kill.

CHAMP car developed a push to pass system that didn't have the electrical side effects that KERS does. I know they developed extra HP with software and fuel and KERS does it like a Prius. I hate it.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:01 PM
jenk12m
Addict
Rennlist Member

all the corner workers are suppose to look for the yellow triangle on the top of every F1 car. if it is not lit then it is ok for them to touch the cars
Old 03-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Lothar
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think KERS is a waste of limited team resources and effort. Recovering energy under braking is on commercially available hybrids. That's not new technology, so you cant sell it on that basis.

The aero changes are interesting. It will be cool if it leads to more competitive racing. However, I think tires did more to increase overtaking than the aerodynamics.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:38 PM
wanna911
Super User

Originally Posted by Lothar View Post
I think KERS is a waste of limited team resources and effort. Recovering energy under braking is on commercially available hybrids. That's not new technology, so you cant sell it on that basis.

The aero changes are interesting. It will be cool if it leads to more competitive racing. However, I think tires did more to increase overtaking than the aerodynamics.

I agree, it appeared to be tires for most of the overtaking.

But when I think back to the good ole days, racing was about mano e mano, with a dab of tire stategy, setup, pit strategy etc. and the passing was great.

Now it's more tire and pit strategy than actual driver talent getting people passed. Is that the nature of the sport that no matter how good you are, that just any guy can pass you because of crappy tires you have to put on at some point? I can buy that in the rain you can get passed by any guy if you are on slicks and him on wets, but outside of that I think the integrity of the sport is diminished.

All in all, Kers helped for a few passes, but also prevented some passing. The Tires made for the vast majority of passes, and the aero changes resulted in just as much replacing broken wings as it did passing.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Torque Monster
Rennlist Member
Small Business Sponsor

KERS is idiocy meant to appease a couple of Eurotrash asshats in the Greens party.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-29-2009, 08:22 PM
PTurbo965
Artful Dodger
Rennlist Member

The Situation
Other Marque Discussions' consultant
The Special RIP Moderator
This Space Intentionally Left Blank

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor View Post
KERS is idiocy meant to appease a couple of Eurotrash asshats in the Greens party.
+1

The eco-***** will not be appeased until electric golf cart racing is banned. These people should not be coddled. They should be ignored.

Some of the other changes are welcomed though. From today's race, it looks like a car can utilize the slipstream and still maintain control enough to make a pass.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:06 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wanna911 View Post
Based on these points (forgive me if I leave out some)

1) Aero
2) Kers
3) Tires
4) Pit speeds, Open Pit during cautions and any other minor changes

1) Aero - The FIA in all their brilliance didn't consider the fact that a GIGANTIC front wing would make it MORE difficult to pass (at least without crashing) and only result in more damage to more cars. So passing is now done by running into each other.

2) Kers - I actually like the KERS, it is a cat and mouse game and could actually lead to more passing. It's still a gimmick though and with the tire gamble change, absolutely unneeded.

3) Tires - I like the tires deal, but it's going to fail because everyone will just run the SS tires for the first session because if your lead gets wiped out by a caution or something or you're stuck on SS for any period of time, you are a sitting duck.

4) No real comment other than the safety car being extra slow and cautions too long. I like faster pit speeds, and open pits during cautions.

OVERALL

D-

The new rules have leveled the playing field TEMPORARILY so in that aspect they have accomplished something.

BUT

All in all, this is turning racing into a circus of people trying to make passing with gimmicks instead of racing, degrades the true intent of the sport. Let the drivers and engineers decides who is passing.

The team strategist is almost more important than the driver now (unless it's Piquet) and that is trash. I don't see any improvement over last year other than MM and Ferrari being knocked slap off the pedistal, though when Ferrari gets a diffuser, it's only a matter of time before they are back in front. Cant say the same for MM because they are plumb slow.
I believe it's still too early to tell. As much testing as all the teams did in the off season (Not Brawn of course), they were never in a race situation during testing. I think yesterday was not represenative of what will happen the rest of the season. Teams will know that the SS tires are only good for a few laps and will short fuel a car if in the middle of a race, but more than likely they will put them on at the start and run light at the very start.

It looked like the aero changes worked because there was no apparent aero push and cars could follow closely. But there was a lot of spinning going on and it looks like the balance of these cars is still not where the teams what it to be because of the lack of downforce at the very back. Of course that could all change by next week when most teams will probably copy the trick diffuser.

It was an interesting start and unusual from the stand point that it was unpredictable and the heavy hitters were not at the front and will probably not be favored, at least at the beginning of the season.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:15 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor View Post

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
+2

I do like that the aero/tire changes have have mixed things up a bit, but those cars are butt ugly!!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Land Jet
Addict
Rennlist Member

IMHO, Bernie Ecclestien[spelling] is an idiot. The cars look like crap, they are loose, and he is watering down the series. I hope he dies soon so someone with a competitive spirit takes over. I liked the good old days of high tech, V10's, traction control, etc. I could hardly sit through the whole race.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: