Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTech for Road Racing application ???????

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:57 PM
jwalton
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default GTech for Road Racing application ???????

OK first let me say that its a little too early in my experience for a full blown data Aquisition system like Trackmate. Secondly I spent a small fortune this winter rebuilding two track cars for the NASA and Porsche club Racing season as well as a few DE's. So..... Any worthwhile experience and feedback on this unit from Gtech? For $300 it seems to do alot of interesting and meaningfull stuff and could be used easily in multiple cars. Could even be interesting in some other applications other than Road Racing. Appreciate your comments and experience. Jon in Delaware

link to website http://www.gtechpro.com/rr.html#
Old 03-25-2009, 09:50 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jwalton
OK first let me say that its a little too early in my experience for a full blown data Aquisition system like Trackmate.
That sounds like an assumption.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't have any first-hand experience with the gtech but any data you can gather is good. I finally ponied up and bought a RaceChrono (about the same cost as the gtech) and have found it very useful. The biggest draw back is that not many people are using RaceChrono (probably gtech as well), so exchanging files for comparative data is lacking.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jwalton
OK first let me say that its a little too early in my experience for a full blown data Aquisition system like Trackmate.
No offense but Traqmate is great, cost effective and a really good learning tool but IMHO its not a full blown data acquisition system.

The second thing is that you can learn so much from data that I think that, if you know now to drive well and have good racecraft skills already its not too early to get a data system. If you have 2 racecars, I gather that you have (or will soon have) a lot of seat time.

In any event, I'm not familiar with the GTech unit but the price is approx 50% off from the basic Traqmate. For that difference I would cough up the additional $350 and get the Traqmate unit. With so many users out there to share data (and the upgrade and video interfaces) its the way to go for non-pro racers.

Lets not forget that Trqmate will most certainly have better resale value (and marketability) than the GTech.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:50 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gtech RR is cheap, but very limited. It senses RPM from the car's 12V power [a neat trick that works pretty well], but does not log SPEED, which makes it next to useless for any meaningful analysis.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:21 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traqmate offers the ability to analyze specific segments of a lap and also features predictive laptiming in real time (with the display). Also has GPS mapping of your line so you can analyze which line gained you more speed/time in a given segment or corner. I think those features alone are worth the extra cost.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Weston
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G-Tech doesn't do anything useful for road racing, IMO. Sure, it's cool to see your G's, but that's just entertainment more than anything. If that's all I wanted, I'd just use my iPhone and save the $350. Traqmate and similar systems do much much more, and are worth the money.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Weston
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Lets not forget that Trqmate will most certainly have better resale value (and marketability) than the GTech.
Yup, it's hard to find them used, and even when you do, they go fast and for almost as much as the price of a brand new one.

Quick Reply: GTech for Road Racing application ???????