Sponsored by:

tire warmers

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:45 PM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire warmers

Anyone here with experience using tire warmers. I'm thinking about purchasing these to save some heat cycles and make the car less of a handful the first couple laps (and hopefully gain a few seconds of advantage compared to my cold tired competitors.) I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with experience.

http://www.chickenhawkracing.com/sportsCars.php
Old 03-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I never see them in the paddock for cars but a massive percentage of the motorcycle track day guys use them.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Wouldn't the time driving to the grid, sitting in the grid, and then doing the warmup lap cool down the tires enough to negate any advantage?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:31 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 243 Posts

Also check with your race series and see if they are legal. I know they are illegal in NASA.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:13 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brian P
Wouldn't the time driving to the grid, sitting in the grid, and then doing the warmup lap cool down the tires enough to negate any advantage?
For the most part, yes.. They are only really useful for keeping spare tires warm for tire changes during an enduro IMO.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:28 PM
prg
Pro

I primarily race in a run what you brung series so rules really aren't an issue. I think I'm going to give it a try. I'll let you know how it works.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:29 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been thinking about getting a set ever since the last race in the end of September. After qualifying on pole I went out and looped it following the pace car and stopped about 10 feet short of the guardrail
Old 03-15-2009, 08:20 PM
prg
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike K.
I have been thinking about getting a set ever since the last race in the end of September. After qualifying on pole I went out and looped it following the pace car and stopped about 10 feet short of the guardrail
I feel your pain. If the tires are even halfway to temperature and pressure by the green flag, it'll be worth it for me. I've had 2 first turn, cold tire episodes of excitement. I'd like to avoid any replays this year.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:11 PM
prg
Pro

Tried them out last weeekend. Car was definitely better the first 2 laps. Could go to throttle in the first turn without near as much excitement. Went from 5 lbs tire pressure growth (using nitrogen) after 12 laps to 1 pound growth. Don't think it will change my winning percentage, but it may cut my budget for wings and noses.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Kerrigan Smith
Advanced

One of our customers uses ones purchased from Chickenhawk. He loves them and has us put them on anytime it is below 70 degrees. Helps his confidence level. They came in a very nice little kit with each tire labled and are very easy to use.

The car we use them on unfortunately does not have the air jack lift system so we have to lift the car onto jack stands each time; but other than that they are great.

If you keep the car out of any direct cold wind and give the warmers 50 minutes or so you will be up to optimal pressure and a good starting temp.

I wish more people would allow them during off season events.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:11 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set the pro set with the digital thermo-control they work great.

Norm
Old 06-22-2009, 04:22 PM
hardracing
Advanced

We have used Tire Warmers for many many years road racing motorcycles.
Anyone that's in top 10 uses them.

We have been Selling them for about 10 years for Cars and Bikes.

In cars not as much, because not as many know about them. Or understand what they do.

Yes, it is great to leave the pits on tires that are already at 180^ (or whatever temp you program your tire warmers for)
They may cool slightly on the grid, but not that much.
It's much better then going out on cold tires.
If you watch just about ANY Form of racing, Formula 1...etc. They ALWAYS have Tire warmers on prior to the race. Because they work.

But, the #1 Reason for using them for us mear mortal NON-FACTORY Teams, is to prevent your Tires from Heat Cycling.
If you don't know what heat cycling is, read below:
Keeping your tires from Heat cycling can extend the life of your tires dramatically. And that will save you a Lot of money in the long run. Since you won't be purchasing tires as often.
Not to mention just one crash from cold tires, will cost you a lot more then tire warmers.

When tires are heated & then cooled, a change occurs that can be seen, measured and felt. On some tires you can actually see a blue haze form over the tire as some "oils" migrate to the surface and oxidation occurs. On other tires one might observe much drier grayish haze depending on individual tire composition. Putting the tire though these hot to cold cycles reduces the tires grip, hardens the rubber and reduces its useful life. A tire warmer can keep tires hot or simply warm between track sessions and reduce the amount of heat cycles a tire goes through. If the tire is to see more than one track session it makes sense not to allow that tire to cool all the way to ambient; this can extend how many sessions the tire can perform at near maximum grip. By operating in this manner the tire’s grip life can be increased
So instead of 4-6 heat cycles each day, you have only 1.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:30 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrigan Smith
One of our customers uses ones purchased from Chickenhawk. He loves them and has us put them on anytime it is below 70 degrees. Helps his confidence level. They came in a very nice little kit with each tire labled and are very easy to use.

The car we use them on unfortunately does not have the air jack lift system so we have to lift the car onto jack stands each time; but other than that they are great.

If you keep the car out of any direct cold wind and give the warmers 50 minutes or so you will be up to optimal pressure and a good starting temp.

I wish more people would allow them during off season events.
I'll have to have the discussion with Richard. Went to Sasco and grabbed a set of Dunlops. Still adapting but I like 'em and reducing the cycles would be beneficial when you're spending that kind of dough.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:42 PM
hardracing
Advanced

If anyone is interested, in these tire warmers they start around - $1299 - $1799 For a complete set of 4 warmers...

http://www.hardracing.com/Chickenhawkauto.htm

Last edited by hardracing; 06-22-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: tire warmers