Sponsored by:

Hoosiers R6s........heat cycles......

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:49 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Brant, Mark and Giacomo, that is the kind of input I was looking for, thanks......
Good advice indeed. What is particularly true is that spinning, wheel lock ups upon braking, and other driver errors can significantly reduce tire longevity and performance. R6 or A6 tires flat spot very easily and transmit the feeling of driving with square tires extremely well.

Since you have no R6s today and plan on running R6s at the limerock CR, you will have to buy 2 sets in case of emergency (ie major flat spot caused by a big lock up or spin out). You'll be in better shape this way for your first event, and you will be ready for your 2nd event in case you don't touch the 2nd set. Ideally you should also have 2 sets of matching wheels (size, weight, offset) to give you even more flexibility in case of emergency.

Fun stuff eh!

Last edited by FredC; 03-12-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
Are all heat cycles equal? Is a heat cycle that gets the tire to 200 F equal to a heat cyle that gets them to 250 F? This is something I have been curious about and it seems that the answers here I have been very informative.
I would think that any cycle that gets tires well beyond their optimal temp range is harmful & life-shortening.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-12-2009, 06:31 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I would think that any cycle that gets tires well beyond their optimal temp range is harmful & life-shortening.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Sorry if I got out side the temperature range of the tire. My question is more what defines a heat cycle and are they all equal? Does a tire at a temperature that is 50 degrees cooler than another tire have the same heat cycle deficit applied against it.

I am trying to understand why some people get more cycles out of a tire than others. I know that there are alot of parameters out there other than heat, i.e. length of the event, track condition, how sharp the track surface is, etc.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
Are all heat cycles equal? Is a heat cycle that gets the tire to 200 F equal to a heat cyle that gets them to 250 F? This is something I have been curious about and it seems that the answers here I have been very informative.
This is a great question and one that was answered by Chris Cervelli two years ago. His answer is that, no, not all heat cycles are created equal. If you really push a tire, you can use its usable life even though plenty of tread remains.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:28 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

i just had a flash. Call Terry Gilvin at Hoosier. He is the R6 product manager. Post what he says Paolo.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
This is a great question and one that was answered by Chris Cervelli two years ago. His answer is that, no, not all heat cycles are created equal. If you really push a tire, you can use its usable life even though plenty of tread remains.
I agree with Chris. If you can use more than one heat cycle for a set of Hoosiers, then you aren't pushing hard enough.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
I agree with Chris. If you can use more than one heat cycle for a set of Hoosiers, then you aren't pushing hard enough.
I submit that if you have heat cycled a set of Hoosiers in one heat cycle, then maybe you're pushing too hard since the tires are operating outside of their maximum temperature range, which can hardly be good for optimal lap times.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

If you don't have the feel to handle the LSD one could argue that you don't have the feel to handle Hoosiers. The fact that you say you spin a lot supports this conclusion (No offence intended).

Maybe it's time to go back to street tires for a while and develop your feel. Over-driving is not how you build speed. Being smooth as silk is the only way to go faster. When you can turn consistently smooth perfect laps, then go up to something like a Toyo R888 for a while. When you've mastered those, then try Hoosiers.

In the mean while, please don't hurt yourself or your car.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter is right, you could take out half the field with a well placed spin
Old 03-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Not to mention yourself...

Speaking of such, here's what happens when someone does that right in front of you. It put me right into the gravel trap on the start. It's a miracle that I could keep the car moving.

I think I went from 3rd to last back to 6th. There was so much gravel the car was shaking like the wheels were going to fly off. I needed a chisel to get the mud off the wheels.

See the series... In the last picture you can see the trail of gravel flying off the car.

http://www.driversmeeting.com/pcarroll/albums/55

Old 03-13-2009, 01:32 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
How many heat cycles do you get out of a new set?

How many heat cycles before the "sweet spot" is reached?

How many heat cycles does the "sweet spot" last?

Thanks......
this is best learned when you do it yourself, on your own car

otherwise it's like asking 'how much grip does my car have?'

telling you how our tires behave for us, on our cars, is akin to trying to explain sex to a virgin.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Buy yourself a nice set of Toyo R888s and have a great summer.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:45 PM
va122
Drifting

Originally Posted by Peter Carroll/Toronto
Not to mention yourself...

Speaking of such, here's what happens when someone does that right in front of you. It put me right into the gravel trap on the start. It's a miracle that I could keep the car moving.

I think I went from 3rd to last back to 6th. There was so much gravel the car was shaking like the wheels were going to fly off. I needed a chisel to get the mud off the wheels.

See the series... In the last picture you can see the trail of gravel flying off the car.

http://www.driversmeeting.com/pcarroll/albums/55

LOL Peter! I thought you had some photo of me spinning at a CCA race! I'm like where am i in the pic?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:45 PM
va122
Drifting

Originally Posted by Peter Carroll/Toronto
Buy yourself a nice set of Toyo R888s and have a great summer.
Or Nitto NT-01s much better in my opinion
Old 03-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Paolo on my RS I get about a dozen heat cycles at DE. Racing they are toast after an hour of enduro. After a 30 minute sprint they go off about 1 second a lap adter 15 mins. So one set per race weekend makes sense. But why stop there. Michelin slicks are way faster.

Quick Reply: Hoosiers R6s........heat cycles......