Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Not To Use Drilled Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

This is why it pays to check your rotors between EVERY session! This last weekend one of the rotors on my GT3 cracked completely through between sessions. It would have likely come apart on me if I tried to go back out on track.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:47 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Ive been using drilled zimmerman rotors for 12 years now with out any issues. yes, the crack after about half of our racing season (about 7 races). I usually change them out when the cracks meet the edge. they seem very strong and durable and havent seen any problem. the cracks dont propagate that fast either so usually if i have bad cracking, it will finish out the weekend and then i change them out. any pics of the rotor and cause of its falure? was it at the rotor or hub area??

with big blacks, we must be talking about the 935T rotors as well. (964 turbo late model)

mk

Originally Posted by carreracoupe997
Zimmerman drilled rotor failure, Road Atlanta. Inspected prior to running with NO cracks...none. Rotor exploded on 2nd 20 minute run of the day without warning. Calipers were Big Blacks and pads were Hawk Blue. Why cup cars used drilled is beyond me. Driver was air-flighted to hospital. Concussion, broken elbow and sore. He is fine now Thank God.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:52 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

GREAT EYE! Yes, this much material missing from the outside edge, would be the main reason for the failure. (unless it happened during the crash)

when mine are cracked to the edge, there is NO wear to be measured on the rotor. (i.e. never a lip)

Mk
Originally Posted by jgrant
From what I can see, there appears to be quite the raised lip on the outside of those rotors. If I had to guess, without being able to look at them in person, I'd say that the rotors were too thin. Nothing to do with them being drilled.

Any close-up pics of the rotors?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I guess it looks like the rotor came apart from the hub at that point. (that gave the illusion of a lip)

The are 965T rotors as you can see the vent holes being 5 and 4 in number on the rows. I didnt think zimmerman even made this rotor. the only ones I could get on my 928 up grade with S4 calipers using spacers, was the porsche oem rotors cast hole version.

very strange failure, especially with non -cracked holes . defective rotors possibly!

mk

Originally Posted by carreracoupe997
It was at a BMWCCA DE. Sorry no close ups of rotor but I can assure you the photo is deceiving because I held these rotor pieces in my hand. The rotors were almost new and did not have a raised lip, ie: too thin.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:22 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Seems like this should be titled "why not to use a Porsche 944" given the logic leap here.
hey Bull steady on some 944's are ok
Old 03-06-2009, 08:34 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Wow. That's scary. The guy next to me in the garage at Pocono had a 951 with drilled rotors. One developed a crack on the outer edge that he could start to feel through the pedal. Called it a day. Don't know who made the rotors.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:54 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rotor

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
So non-drilled rotors have never ever failed? Not even once? Prove it's true and I'll follow your advice.
like this????
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2009, 09:16 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I have seen brand new cross drilled rotors explode like this when used with new Hawk Blues. It is possible that they were not bedded, and the extreme nature of the pads and rough rotor surface just put too much heat in too fast. I'm not a fan of cross drilled rotors, but with my 993, they were extremely good, if short lived when used with an aggressive pad. But, as Eric said, it could happen with any rotor
Old 03-06-2009, 09:16 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

or like this:

Originally Posted by bobt993
like this????
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2009, 09:24 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

could ABS be a factor?
It is hard to imagine what would cause this failure except defective metalurgy.
warped rotor would cause uneven stress on the rotor and break it eventually, especially risky if we are talking one piece construction, as we are here.

Was there any warning at all? vibration?

mk
Old 03-06-2009, 09:28 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Ive been using drilled zimmerman rotors for 12 years now with out any issues. yes, the crack after about half of our racing season (about 7 races). I usually change them out when the cracks meet the edge. they seem very strong and durable and havent seen any problem. the cracks dont propagate that fast either so usually if i have bad cracking, it will finish out the weekend and then i change them out. any pics of the rotor and cause of its falure? was it at the rotor or hub area??

with big blacks, we must be talking about the 935T rotors as well. (964 turbo late model)

mk
+1 I've used zimmerman for years never a problem...I have however seen a very similar failure on a disk, but it was due to putting a wheel off, kicking a rock up that jambed between a vain of the disk and the caliper throat, busted the disk in three places and acted like a big lathe on the inside of the rim, fortunately it was at a slow point on the track so it didn't cause the kind of carnage in the pic, I'm glad to hear the guys ok. Coincedentally it left a just a little mark on the inside of the disk just like the last pic Mark posted...could be it is a much more common issue...
Old 03-06-2009, 09:41 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

I was at Road Atlanta Today running in this instructor group. I think this is an old picture from almost 2 years ago. There weren't any incidents besides a couple spins.

I've heard this story and I've seen the picture o the interior too. But it was from a cracked rotor; just not today.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
hey Bull steady on some 944's are ok
My point exactly!

Just like many Zimmerman rotors are good.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 389 Posts

Just a FYI, SHW is the oem for 993 rotors, not Zimmerman
ATS was the oem for 964
Old 03-07-2009, 01:49 PM
carreracoupe997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 007DT

Originally Posted by 007DT
I was at Road Atlanta Today running in this instructor group. I think this is an old picture from almost 2 years ago. There weren't any incidents besides a couple spins.

I've heard this story and I've seen the picture o the interior too. But it was from a cracked rotor; just not today.
Yes Dave, I told you this story. And you are correct, this happened in 2007. The guy who's car it is was with us at instructor training. Kathy was his "student from hell" He is from Alabama.

Quick Reply: Why Not To Use Drilled Rotors