Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Not To Use Drilled Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:50 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, Porsche "drilled rotors" are not drilled at all. They are cast and then machined. The "cheaper" drilled rotors are just that drilled. This leads to a localized weakness due to the heat from drilling, stress fractures, etc... Just my .02.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:56 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did the rotor break before the crash and cause it or was it a result of the crash?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

I'm sorry, but we would need a lot more info about this accident to determine causality. While I am not a huge fan of perforated rotors, the conclusions drawn by the OP are not borne out by the skimpy facts posted.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-09-2009, 02:40 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

was there any moisture introduced just before the failure?

cracking metal like that is often caused by shock cooling.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Hope the driver recovers soon...
Old 03-09-2009, 11:21 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TAI2
BTW, Porsche "drilled rotors" are not drilled at all. They are cast and then machined. The "cheaper" drilled rotors are just that drilled. This leads to a localized weakness due to the heat from drilling, stress fractures, etc... Just my .02.
Bingo!

Naturally "drilled" rotors are going to be prone to failure around the holes due to the inherent stress caused. They are much more prone to cracking if the holes are machined in due to the residual stresses from the drilling process. This makes them more prone to cracking. Holes that are cast in still produce stress risers, but because there is no residual stress from post machining they are more reliable and more resistent to cracking.

If you're running drilled rotors checking for cracks should be done regularly at the track. Its easy enough that there should be no reason not to.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:26 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

YeOlde data point:

Virtually NO top level race teams use rotors with holes in them.
To me, it's a relic of the past, an 80s thing that needs to just...go away.

Ideally the Chevroned pattern rotors are the ones to use - very little chance for cracks to form from a chevroned rotor - much less than holed and quite a bit less than slotted. Stress risers = bad.

Up to that point, the best you can do is *examine* your equipment via hands-on inspections to prevent a possible tragedy to machine...and maybe man too.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

virtually no top level race team uses 14 heat cycles on their tires, dual adjustable shocks, rubber bushings, single piston calipers, solid rotors, and countless other things.................. Doesnt mean they are all bad. Granted technology has advanced in many areas, but I dont think some of the old stuff is all that bad or unsafe if used with precaution. cast hole rotors are better than flat, and as good as most slotted rotors. The new cheveron'ed rotors are ususally 2 piece and much greater in diameter.

mk

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
YeOlde data point:

Virtually NO top level race teams use rotors with holes in them.
To me, it's a relic of the past, an 80s thing that needs to just...go away.

Ideally the Chevroned pattern rotors are the ones to use - very little chance for cracks to form from a chevroned rotor - much less than holed and quite a bit less than slotted. Stress risers = bad.

Up to that point, the best you can do is *examine* your equipment via hands-on inspections to prevent a possible tragedy to machine...and maybe man too.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:55 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

what is better as far as quality. zimmerman cast hole rotors or Porsche OEM cast hole rotors? Ive used Zimmerman for years and punish the heck out of them. I pull them twice a season when they start to crack at the holes. I wonder how the porsche rotors will do. they look better quality , due to the painting of the exposed non contact surfaces though.

mk
Old 03-13-2009, 08:51 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I'm sorry, but we would need a lot more info about this accident to determine causality. While I am not a huge fan of perforated rotors, the conclusions drawn by the OP are not borne out by the skimpy facts posted.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
I have to vote with VR on this one, what came first the chicken or the Egg. Did the rotor failure cause the crash or the crash cause the rotor failure. I guess you had to be there. Anything is possible but I would say that most rotors show signs of fatigue before failure. Having said that I am a big supporter of solid rotors. Give me heavy metal. If i have to have a little extra weight, lets put it on the braking system.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:53 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Agreed. I think too much emphasis is placed upon weight,shaving a lb. here & there from the rotors with regards to aftermarket stuff -
Old 03-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please explain, what is a chevroned patterned rotor? Do you have a picture?
Old 03-14-2009, 01:08 AM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Top shelf rotors - I took these pictures at Daytona 24 hrs 2007:

1) Slotted - notice the nice big edge margin?
2) Not Chevroned, but close (the chevroned rotors have Vs similar to these lined rotors

Last edited by TrackDays247.com; 05-05-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:54 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the rotors that we ran on our car in the 24hr.
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2009, 10:09 AM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

Any recommendations on management of rear rotors. I have Protosport slotted on the front of my GT3. Factory rears, which have some fine crack developing from the holes. I do maybe 8 +, DE's a year, driving to the track. Rears have 12000 miles and a dozen DE's.
Replace soon? Use Porsche cross drilled, aftermarket cross drilled or slotted? I new to this aspect of track days.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Why Not To Use Drilled Rotors