I say just drive the dang car.
BINGO.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still love that video "just lift off the gas to bring the tail around" F$%K, F$%K
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Here is your shufflesteerer with his helpful instructional video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzwUbsaEhAQ
Somehow missed this post earlier.

That guy didn't crash because he shuffle steers...that guy crashed because he didn't react fast enough. His initial correction, which WASN'T a shuffle, was WAY WAY too slow. By the time he got around to moving his hands on the wheel, his fate was already sealed. He managed to roll a car while doing 6-7/10ths. That points to his inexperience and inability, but it had nothing to do with the shuffle on the wheel which occurred well after the car was on it's way into the grass sideways.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just proves that the inexperienced are more out of control at 7/10s than the top drivers are at 10/10s
Old 03-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts

That guy didn't crash because he shuffle steers...that guy crashed because he didn't react fast enough. His initial correction, which WASN'T a shuffle, was WAY WAY too slow. By the time he got around to moving his hands on the wheel, his fate was already sealed. He managed to roll a car while doing 6-7/10ths. That points to his inexperience and inability, but it had nothing to do with the shuffle on the wheel which occurred well after the car was on it's way into the grass sideways.
Yup. Once again, Mark strikes out.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:35 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jsabatini
Just read the article this morning, Feb 23, 2009 AutoWeek, Lessons of Legends

Derek Bell criticized the authors hands, they should never move from 9 and 3, "You are shuffling!" Next instructor was Hurley Haywood "Of course, you must shuffle!"
And it was Denise McCluggage who wrote the article. Started racing about the time Hill, Gurney, Shelby, etc. did, right? Bell and Haywood were still on training wheels.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
WTF! One thing talking about technical stuff, but if you're annoyed by another members opinion. Don't drag personal stuff all over the place. Stop stalking issues and get over it.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rassel
WTF! One thing talking about technical stuff, but if you're annoyed by another members opinion. Don't drag personal stuff all over the place. Stop stalking issues and get over it.
Ahem...you may want to save your money & purchase this:

http://dictionary.reference.com/brow...umor?qsrc=2888

Old 03-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ahem...you may want to save your money & purchase this:

http://dictionary.reference.com/brow...umor?qsrc=2888
VR,
I got your point. I'm sure it's all meant in a good way and with a good sense of humor. But it doesn't always shine through. I hope you get mine.

/Magnus
Old 03-06-2009, 01:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

AMEN! And there are a lot of old , great athletes of all disciplines that can do things that shouldnt be taught from the get-go. If you look at sports, such as ski racing, technique that worked many years ago for then greats, Jean Claude Kiely, etc, would be at the back of the pack for todays up and comers with the new ski racing techniques. (things like lifting up the inside ski for race turns vs just rolling the nees like Tomba started a few years ago which is now the standard!) IM sure many things simlar to that can be said about driving todays race cars.

I see no reason for shuffle steering, unless you have to really work the wheel more than usual.

Mk

Originally Posted by mdrums
that is funny! When I took the Porsche school part of the class room what about proper hand position on the wheel. None of the instructors including Hurley advocated shuffle steering. They all preached 9 and 3 with your thumbs latch around the end of the center part of the wheel and to pull down on the wheel to turn and never push up on the wheel.

I say just drive the dang car.

Last edited by mark kibort; 03-06-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-06-2009, 02:00 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I totally agree with you . I just thought the video was funny, and he was a shuffle steer-er. Im sure if we watched all his video, his shuffle-steering would cause some issues. But yes you are right, he was very slow to react, but GREAT at the incar commentating!

MK

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts

Old 03-06-2009, 02:08 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Oh brother! You are like a little kid. Dont you have some anti-kidnaping clients with SUVs to teach shufflesteering to?

Last I looked this was a RACER forum!

Old 03-06-2009, 04:49 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 202 Posts

AMEN! And there are a lot of old , great athletes of all disciplines that can do things that shouldnt be taught from the get-go. If you look at sports, such as ski racing, technique that worked many years ago for then greats, Jean Claude Kiely, etc, would be at the back of the pack for todays up and comers with the new ski racing techniques. (things like lifting up the inside ski for race turns vs just rolling the nees like Tomba started a few years ago which is now the standard!) IM sure many things simlar to that can be said about driving todays race cars.

I see no reason for shuffle steering, unless you have to really work the wheel more than usual.

Mk
The shuffle steering advocate in the article was Hurley Haywood, hardly an old athlete who is no longer relevant. He was just on the podium at Daytona 5 or 6 weeks ago! In the article he was coaching someone in a modern sports car.

Are you suggesting that Hurley is working the wheel more than he needs to? Maybe you have some video of yourself in the 928 that you can send to him with some tips?

There are a lot of reasons to teach a beginner 9 and 3. But lets not ignore the fact that other techniques work as talent, equipment, speed, etc. changes.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:34 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

It could work for Hurley, but Ive seen him drive and he in no way does shuffle steering. I never said he move the wheel more than it needed to be moved. I said it could inhibit correction for a car in a unforseen attitude if the hands were roaming over the wheel. It could work for a lot of folks. Do you really want me to expose some spins, crashes where I think shuffle steering was the result of shuffle steering? I just posted some reasons why it might not be such a great idea. If you have reasons why it might be better, I sure would like to hear them. (and not the VR reasons like, street driving, autocrossing, ice driving, anti-kidnapping technique, SUV, etc) Im talkng about road racing, ONLY. As equipment gets better along with the competition, there is less and less room for error in driving style. I think 10 years ago, a lot of the "top guys were pretty sloppy" compared to todays standards. the cars are no different, but the times have dropped. Guys are just getting better. Like any sport, coaching, education, practice is key. I think there is just better information around today.

I've heard from those that have been coached by Hurly that he didnt advocate "shufflesteering" in their sessions with him.

mk

Originally Posted by jakermc
The shuffle steering advocate in the article was Hurley Haywood, hardly an old athlete who is no longer relevant. He was just on the podium at Daytona 5 or 6 weeks ago! In the article he was coaching someone in a modern sports car.

Are you suggesting that Hurley is working the wheel more than he needs to? Maybe you have some video of yourself in the 928 that you can send to him with some tips?

There are a lot of reasons to teach a beginner 9 and 3. But lets not ignore the fact that other techniques work as talent, equipment, speed, etc. changes.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Oh brother! You are like a little kid. Dont you have some anti-kidnaping clients with SUVs to teach shufflesteering to?

Last I looked this was a RACER forum!

You are beginning to sound like A Wayne, Mark.

Last I looked, I was at least as much of a "racer" as you are. Please grow up and realize that the universe does not revolve around you, my friend.

Quick Reply: hand positions with and without an airbag? need advise