Sponsored by:

LSD - How important?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:02 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Geoffrey - How long do you think a stock LSD in an SC will last before needing attention? Is there an easy test?

Thanks
What type of LSD is it? Is it stock or aftermarket? If aftermarket, who made it? The manufacturer is VERY important. I've got over 2 years (with a LOT of hours) on my current one from Guard and it's still strong.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:53 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I've two RSA's both setup for the track, suspension setups are almost identical, within a few hundred pounds of each other, running the same wheels/tires. Ran the open rear for years, then got the new car setup, the LSD is huge, I never realized how much I was feathering the throttle to minimize the inside wheelspin, and little tricks to keep from unloading the rear like riding the outside curb on trackout, and delaying the power out of the corner...you can put the car where you want it on the track and use the power you need when you need it...worth it in my mind...now I really miss it on the spec car...
Old 03-03-2009, 08:03 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm more curious about a stock LSD in an RSA... and if it should command much of a premium.

i.e. versus a non-LSD RSA and then pay for an aftermarket one with installation. Any idea of total cost?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A stock LSD in the G50/05 trans is a 2 plate 40/40 locking differential. The plates are organic and they wear out quickly under hard usage. By contrast, the 964 Cup G50/10 uses the same housing but a 4 plate version with stronger plates although this diff still wears out after a season on slicks. The 2 plate street version simply does not last AND has preload that is street oriented rather than track oriented which allows more slippage that is desirable. You WANT a racing LSD, not a street LSD.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're still interested in an LSD, I'm probably selling my Porsche G50 LSD diff for $400...it will probably need to have new plates.

Shoot me an E-mail if you're interested.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:31 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

If you're ultimate goal is racing or heavy track use, you need aftermarket, If someone else is spinning wrenches then I'd figure $2k all in, including the, "while we're in there" stuff...So I'd say it if you get a car with a factory LSD it might get you by for a while. But you're going to be looking at the upgrade so the premium? nominal at best.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like a proper LSD over an open diff anytime.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:59 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
A somewhat contrary view -

Running an open diff can make you a better drover. Why ? Because you'll actually have to pay attention to throttle application while cornering, and learn to not spin up the inside tire. Paying attention to suspension-loading, and gettting the full range of vehicle feedback, is important. If you're not racing, for money...trophies...post-race nookie...whatever...then LSD is definitely NOT a "must". Besides, if it's not there, it can't break (says the guy who broke a "Detroit locker" in 2007...yes...you can actually break one).

Learn to drive without it. Like any crutch, you'll see an advantage if you then transition to one, with the skills you've learned "without".
Herr Professor,
That is what I have been telling myself for 8 years. The sad thing is that I am starting to think it is time to get one. The problem is that t is $1500 would rather keep in my pocket right now.

I really think that some people go with and LSD way too early. While it is great thing you can achieve alot with an open diff. One thing that you must do with an open diff is to adjust the driving style and car set-up minimize it impact. If you don't try to adjust for it you will suffer. If you learn to tune the chassis and drive around the issue you can still be very fast. Faster than guys with LSD's who have not learned to drive as well. When you are learning $1500-$5000 of DE's and track time are worth more in terms of lap time than $1500-$2500 of LSD in the car.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:05 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
Herr Professor,
That is what I have been telling myself for 8 years. The sad thing is that I am starting to think it is time to get one. The problem is that t is $1500 would rather keep in my pocket right now.

BTW... when you are learning $1500-$5000 of DE's and track time are worth more in terms of lap time than $1500-$2500 of LSD in the car.
Get one joe, I need as many excuses as possible for why you're so much faster than me....
Old 03-03-2009, 03:15 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

The LSD has made a huge difference for me. My RSA came with an open diff and I had one installed last summer. The car is much better under acceleration and incredibly stable under braking. I love it!
Old 03-03-2009, 03:32 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by J richard
Get one joe, I need as many excuses as possible for why you're so much faster than me....
I talked to Glenn Gormley about one yesterday...

Damn money... At this point I would still rather spend that at Nationals than to buy an LSD and not go.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by M758
Herr Professor,
When you are learning $1500-$5000 of DE's and track time are worth more in terms of lap time than $1500-$2500 of LSD in the car.
Good point.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:14 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

I suppose it also depends on which car you go with....964 is much more powerful than a 944 N/A...I spoke with alot of guys racing the spec 944's in norcal, and a few of them did not have LSD...But it seemed their driving style was focused around not having one. They mentioned how they were trying to keep the car "flat" through the turns etc.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:54 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HIGHBOOST
I suppose it also depends on which car you go with....964 is much more powerful than a 944 N/A...I spoke with alot of guys racing the spec 944's in norcal, and a few of them did not have LSD...But it seemed their driving style was focused around not having one. They mentioned how they were trying to keep the car "flat" through the turns etc.
+1 I think there are diminishing returns with a car that has plenty of tire or down on power, but you do drive a protective line to keep that inboard tire down, and if you have to make a last minute adjustment (like joe passing me on the outside for instance...) and pinch a corner, you will spin the tire, which just upsets everything, the LSD just eliminates the issue...(well except for joe still passing me...)
Old 03-05-2009, 10:11 AM
M758
Race Director

Jim,
Over the years of racing I have found the biggest draw back to an open diff being trail braking for turn 2 for example. I can also get wheel spin out of 9 and turn 6-7. However that can be managed. It is instability in Turn 2 that really hurts bad.

BTW... I am pumped up about this weekend. We should have an excellent field! Are you coming by Saturday Morning? I plan to drop off the car later today, but will be driving Sat & Sunday only.

Quick Reply: LSD - How important?