Sponsored by:

LSD - How important?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Weston
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
I have driven and race my 944 spec car for 8 years with an open diff. I have even won few races during that time and set a few track records with a couple still standing. So you can go a long way with an open diff. However the car will be faster with an LSD. How much faster depends on how much you can dial out wheelspin and manage it under trail braking.

Point is while and LSD is great to have you can still have alot of fun without one.
Yup! Too much rear sway bar with an open diff and you'll get wheel spin in the tighter corners, but that can be adjusted. I see open diff cars winning races all the time. LSD's are nice, but I've found that it's not that much of an issue if you've got a decent amount of rubber on the ground relative to your engine power.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:26 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

So a 964 with the original LSD should command a decent premium over a non-LSD?

Or...is it semi-irrelevant because it will likely be due for a rebuild?

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

A somewhat contrary view -

Running an open diff can make you a better drover. Why ? Because you'll actually have to pay attention to throttle application while cornering, and learn to not spin up the inside tire. Paying attention to suspension-loading, and gettting the full range of vehicle feedback, is important. If you're not racing, for money...trophies...post-race nookie...whatever...then LSD is definitely NOT a "must". Besides, if it's not there, it can't break (says the guy who broke a "Detroit locker" in 2007...yes...you can actually break one).

Learn to drive without it. Like any crutch, you'll see an advantage if you then transition to one, with the skills you've learned "without".
Old 03-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester

Running an open diff can make you a better drover. Why ? Because you'll actually have to pay attention to throttle application while cornering, and learn to not spin up the inside tire. Paying attention to suspension-loading, and gettting the full range of vehicle feedback, is important. If you're not racing, for money...trophies...post-race nookie...whatever...then LSD is definitely NOT a "must". Besides, if it's not there, it can't break (says the guy who broke a "Detroit locker" in 2007...yes...you can actually break one).

Learn to drive without it. Like any crutch, you'll see an advantage if you then transition to one, with the skills you've learned "without".

Good points, but the advantage is also a higher level of stability under braking, which is IMO a safety issue whether race or DE.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Weston
Racer

Excellent point. I've definitely become a much faster driver after going from a ~300 HP car to a 150 HP 944. When you have a lot of car to work with, it's a lot easier to mask mistakes and develop bad habits.

...post-race nookie...
Hmm, maybe it's time to install an LSD then...
Old 03-02-2009, 07:09 PM
hunterpeaks
Instructor

Default Ok, the LSD is amazing.

I had the same question about 2 months ago. I bought a OS Giken LSD for my 1988-911 3.2.
First track day last thursday at VIR. 2 seconds faster than my best time EVER! NO other differences.

Traqmate confirmed it. It felt like my rear wheels turned with the car. Totally incredible. Felt so planted.

Now I am understeering more though....

Hunter
Old 03-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I wouldn't worry about whether or not the doner car had an LSD or not. Any street LSD (including GT3) will not last but a few events on the track. Buy a PMNA or Guard LSD and add it.
I would tend to agree. The factory LSD will just not be enough for a full out race car. For an occasional DE vehicle it would be nice to have over nothing.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:17 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Geoffrey - How long do you think a stock LSD in an SC will last before needing attention? Is there an easy test?

Thanks
Sean and I thought you were running a quaiffe.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:26 PM
OBehave
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With 80% LSD's out there being used,wouldn't it be possible to just run a spool and be done with the extra parts?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
Sean and I thought you were running a quaiffe.
Great, now BOTH cheaters are gangin up on me!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:43 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by early_grayce
How "advantageous" or important would it be to have LSD?

Thanks in advance
I think its a big step up from an Open dif. LSD helps when coming out of the corners putting down more even power allowing throttle steer, and keeps both tires engaged, limiting wheel spin, On heavy braking the LSD keeps both tires engaged with the pavement. more even braking, and more even trailbraking, so if you want more out of you and the car, Its a necessary upgrade from the open Dif. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:46 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a long time I thought I was running with LSD since my car has it. Then one day I actually tested it when I had the car jacked up and found the clutch pack was worn to the point that I'm pretty much running an open dif anyway!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:52 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Good points, but the advantage is also a higher level of stability under braking, which is IMO a safety issue whether race or DE.

As I read through, I kept waiting for this comment and thought I might have been able to add something. Foiled again!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

I've been waiting for this response. Now I can sell the wife on this. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

VICTORY!

Quick Reply: LSD - How important?