What do you guys do to work out your neck muscles

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:18 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,061 Posts
Default What do you guys do to work out your neck muscles

Back when I used to kart, this was never a problem as practice and racing always developed the neck muscles. Those days are over and the older I get the more sore the neck muscles seem to be at the end of a long weekend.

The gym I go to used to have a machine that worked out the neck where there was a, for lack of a better term, horse collar and provided resistance in every direction you desired. They no longer have that.

I spoke with a master trainer and he said that usually isn't something that's requested, I told him what I do and the only thing he could suggest is putting a pillow against a wall, leaning against it at an angle and use the neck muscles to push your body weight away from the wall.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:20 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Having a one year old, I find that this emoticon illustrates what I do perfectly......

Old 02-19-2009, 11:24 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In football (we obviously had the weight machines for the neck) but on the field in warm-ups before practice we'd put on our helmet, lay on our back and arch up with our weight on the top of our head and our feet. Then we'd "twist" from side to side to load our neck up at different angles. Just be careful when you first do it and don't overdue the twisting until you're used to it. You'll end up with a sore neck if you don't.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:48 PM
BigKraut
Instructor

Take an old helmet and drill a hole in the top and insert an I-bolt. Then attach it to the cable (the one you use for lat pulldowns and such) on the weight machine at the gym. Put on the helmet, sit on the bench (or floor) and go to work (with the appropriate weight attached).
Old 02-19-2009, 03:03 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Oh the possibilities for this to go wildly off topic.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:04 PM
kfyork
Advanced

Lightbulb

There are many methods, here's one from Ross Bentley:

You will hear a lot about how our neck muscles tire, even though that is an area that we all work on. While every driver has their own approach to building strength and stamina in the neck muscles, personally I use something that I’ve been using since the days when I drove Indy cars (which generate extremely high g-forces – over 4 gs at some tracks). I have an old helmet that I’ve taped a 5-pound ankle weight to. I put this on (I look like something from Star Wars in it), lie on my side, and then raise and lower my head 100 times; flip to the other side and do the same; then on my back and lift forward; then on my stomach and lift backwards. Three sets of those. Now, kids, don’t try this at home, because the first time you do it, it seems relatively easy. But when the next morning comes around and you realize you can’t turn your head, you begin to understand just how sensitive the neck is. I’m speaking from experience here. But in doing these exercises 3 or 4 times per week, I hope that my neck muscles are up for the job of the 24 hour race. Just before sitting down to write this I was doing my neck exercises, and using some free weights. - Ross Bentley

Image courtesy Ross Bentley via livesearchracing.spaces.live.com

BTW, as a related aside, you may consider contacting a motorsport-specific trainer such as Jim Leo's PitFit or even Coach Seiji (though the latter mainly works with MX riders IIRC).

Last edited by kfyork; 02-19-2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Added motorsport athlete trainer information.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

my exercize technique can be seen in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zlVi...eature=related
Old 02-19-2009, 05:19 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Technique used by Force India F1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw88JamMxFw
Old 02-19-2009, 05:30 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hold a 100#(or more if you care to) barbell in front of you(arms fully extended downward) and do" shrugs".Three sets of 10 every other day.

Tom B.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:37 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Having a one year old, I find that this emoticon illustrates what I do perfectly......

Wait until they're a teenager
Old 02-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Oh the possibilities for this to go wildly off topic.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Originally Posted by tomburdge
Hold a 100#(or more if you care to) barbell in front of you(arms fully extended downward) and do" shrugs".Three sets of 10 every other day.

Tom B.
I was going to suggest shoulder shrugs, too, but using a barbell held straight down and raising your traps. I used to do these quite a bit, but, luckily, I'm in such great shape that I've never had a sore neck from driving.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:00 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
the older I get the more sore the neck muscles seem to be at the end of a long weekend.
Or just at the end of one day in the Radical. Then another day to recover! Hate it that I start flopping my head against the roll hoop on left handers in the afternoon........
Old 02-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Back when I used to kart, this was never a problem as practice and racing always developed the neck muscles. Those days are over and the older I get the more sore the neck muscles seem to be at the end of a long weekend.

The gym I go to used to have a machine that worked out the neck where there was a, for lack of a better term, horse collar and provided resistance in every direction you desired. They no longer have that.

I spoke with a master trainer and he said that usually isn't something that's requested, I told him what I do and the only thing he could suggest is putting a pillow against a wall, leaning against it at an angle and use the neck muscles to push your body weight away from the wall.
Archery does a neck good:

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 03-20-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Or looking at VR's pictures?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Neck machine at the gym twice a week

Quick Reply: What do you guys do to work out your neck muscles