Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you guys do to work out your neck muscles

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:44 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Do a google search for neck strengthening and flexibility exercises. There's a lot more involved than just training your neck. It involves your shoulders and upper back muscles as well.

I did hear that archery with VR's friend can help build your pec's.....
Old 02-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Or looking at VR's pictures?
I think they are just good for improving your shifting speed...
Old 02-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've heard real pros (Raikkonen, Herman etc.) using "hands free beer" successfully. I've tried it and it works exceptionally well.

Look at Kimi's neck on the photo below, and his drinking habits, well, you all know that too well...
(although he's been completely sober for weeks!)
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2009, 02:17 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sit in the front row at the movie theater. Build up your muscle tone without even working at it
Old 02-20-2009, 03:19 PM
67FJ45
Pro

ashtanga vinyasa yoga. no kidding.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:33 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Archery does a neck good:
Apparently good for more than just the neck...
Old 02-20-2009, 07:06 PM
KathyP
Track Day

Hey guys,
This is right up my ally! I am a Physical Therapist in private practice and I see neck and back problems all day long. After a day of racing, and moreso three days of racing, yep my neck is sore also. As one gets older, active strengthening with the weights as shown with weight on the helmet may not be comfortable on the cervical spine itself,and may actually contribute to cervical spine arthritis (aka wear and tear of the joint surfaces). If this is uncomfortable, don't do it in favor of more isometric contractions even against your hands in a neutral position. If no cervical spine pain at all, go for it with the weights. If you wish to pursue the cervical isometrics, sit or stand in the position your neck is in in your car and use your hands to resist each motion of flexion, extension, sidebending to each side, and rotation to each direction. Resist as hard as you like and hold for 10 seconds. Try 3 sets of 10 each direction and see if you can tell a difference. This will be much safer on your joints. The I bolt in the helmet is a good one but I would recommend high resistance rubber bands the we call "Theraband" instead of weight again because it is gentler than weights and easier on the joints. You can get the band or tubing similar to it and somewhat more durable at any Physical Therapy clinic in your area. While working on your neck, don't forget the upper back musculature and your shoulders! The other gentleman was right that there is alot working together! Shoulder rolls with separate dumbells in each hand works great as well as the upright row. The most important exercises for upper back strengthening that really helps the neck and shoudlers (as wellas the lumbar spine) is seated rows and lat pulldowns. My shoulders get sore from turning the wheel for long periods as in enduros and in DE's from holding onto the door(in student's cars), so I spend alot of time working on internal and external rotation strengthening for my shoulders. Hope that is helpful and please choose the exercises that are most comfortable for you. Great idea to strengthen ahead of time. Other relaxation exercises are helpful as well as stretching. Happy and Safe Driving, but have fun.....
Kathy Patton, PT
Physical Therapy Specialites
Alpharetta, GA
Old 02-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 867 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Apparently good for more than just the neck...
Yeah....I had to change the avatar, though...sadly.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yeah....I had to change the avatar, though...sadly.
Damn! I was enjoying the archery theme. I think we need a "Do not enter if you are easily offended" thread.

Quick Reply: What do you guys do to work out your neck muscles