Stiff springs - more or less grip?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:13 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Archer Girl jumps up and down on my hood, I don't think I'd care too much about spring rates, shock damping, sway stiffness, squatting . . .

Surprised someone brought up variable rate springs and nobody jumped all over them.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

What's wrong with variable rate springs?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to race a car with no suspension - basically a car-sized go-kart.
It would be very lucrative for your dentist.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:05 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Van
What's wrong with variable rate springs?
I've heard about complaints of the spring changing rates as it compresses whilst taking a set for the turn.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:23 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to race a car with no suspension - basically a car-sized go-kart.
Formula 500 is pretty close to that. No dampers, rubber pucks for springs, Watts link rear with a solid rear axle. Most of the compliance ends up coming from the tires.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:54 PM
slivel
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Instead of talking in "spring rates" we should be talking in terms of suspension frequency.

Spring rates are, of course, misleading - because it's really your wheel rate that's important (wheel rate is motion ratio squared divided by spring rate). On two cars with 400 lb springs, one might have a wheel rate of 200 lbs and one might have a wheel rate of 350 lbs, depending on where and how the spring attaches to the suspension arms - so comparing spring rates isn't "apples to apples".

Now, even wheel rates have their problems. Having a 300 lb wheel rate on a 1600 lb 914 will feel much stiffer than a 300 lb wheel rate on a 3400 lb 928. This is because there is a different amount of weight at each corner. I'm actually using incorrect nomenclature - springs are really measured in lbs/inch. For a 400 lb spring, it takes 400 lbs to compress it 1 inch; another 400 lbs to compress it another inch. So, in my example, a 928, being heavier, will compress the same "weight" spring more than a light-weight 914.

So how do we compare the two? Enter suspension frequencies! A formula that takes into account wheel rate and unsprung weight (how much weight is acting on the spring). This suspension frequency is usually measured in cycles per minute.

So, going back to the original question at hand, it should be: High suspension frequency = more or less grip?

Or, put in a more useful way: What is the suspension frequency sweet spot for different cars / tracks?
I'm curious about this as well. Currently my suspension frequencies (if I've calculated them properly) range from 1.84 to 2.45. I'm using progressive springs and the range of values occurs from full droop to full compression. My numbers are in cycles per second.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little OT, but related, I was reading the latest "European Car" magazine and some tuner had warmed over the BMW 135i, and in addition to spring work, they beefed up the front sway bar and UNCOUPLED the stock rear bar. Basically, no rear bar. And this was supposedly a car that in original form understeered.

Maybe their chosen spring/shock package made the tail end too loose.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Some BMW guys swear by this set-up.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:41 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Even shifter karts have a "suspension" they provide spring effect in the twist of the frame. My ARC karts had the ability to adjust the rate by tightening a bolt that would bind the frame, or allow more flex by loosening it. The impact on handling was substantial, and made up for a track conditions such as quick transitions or rough pavement.

I just made a substantial change in my spec car by moving from a relatively soft spring to almost a double rate and backing off the sways. Grip was increased but the biggest issue is the ability for the car to take a set quickly and shortening transition time in short coupled corners.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Originally Posted by J richard

I just made a substantial change in my spec car by moving from a relatively soft spring to almost a double rate and backing off the sways. Grip was increased but the biggest issue is the ability for the car to take a set quickly and shortening transition time in short coupled corners.
TA-DA!!! Look at the big brain on J Richard!!!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:14 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
TA-DA!!! Look at the big brain on J Richard!!!
...well ya no brainer... except the soft setup on the car was one that set a long standing lap record on one of our local tracks...(with Chris at the helm)... over much higher sprung cars. I was a bit reluctant to make the change, and tried to adapt to the style of a softer setup, but in the end didn't suit me. In the hands of someone who was comfortable with it could be quite fast...
Attached Images  

Last edited by J richard; 02-20-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Trucho-951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'm not an expert in the field of chassis tunning, but this primer on shock absorbers and "Natural Frequency", taught me everything I need to know...

http://www.shockabsorber.co.uk/bounceometer/shock.html

Old 02-21-2009, 03:10 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Plug in DD. I think VR needs that for his Avitar.

mk

Originally Posted by Trucho-951
Ok, I'm not an expert in the field of chassis tunning, but this primer on shock absorbers and "Natural Frequency", taught me everything I need to know...

http://www.shockabsorber.co.uk/bounceometer/shock.html

Old 02-21-2009, 03:15 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

One of our SCCA ITE Camaro competitors had a bunch of power but never was a factor in our races. Tough, but about 1 -2 seconds back in lap times. Someone out at Thunderhill had him remove is rear swaybar one day, and he knocked of 3-4 seconds a lap and has been a pain ever since to run with! It looks pretty funny around those 70mph turns with the car all twisted, but it handles and runs in a straigth line REAL fast now.

mk

Potomac-Greg;6306317]A little OT, but related, I was reading the latest "European Car" magazine and some tuner had warmed over the BMW 135i, and in addition to spring work, they beefed up the front sway bar and UNCOUPLED the stock rear bar. Basically, no rear bar. And this was supposedly a car that in original form understeered.

Maybe their chosen spring/shock package made the tail end too loose.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-21-2009, 11:44 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
A little OT, but related, I was reading the latest "European Car" magazine and some tuner had warmed over the BMW 135i, and in addition to spring work, they beefed up the front sway bar and UNCOUPLED the stock rear bar. Basically, no rear bar. And this was supposedly a car that in original form understeered.

Maybe their chosen spring/shock package made the tail end too loose.
Haven't tried the no rear sway bar but one of the 1st things most serious BMW drivers due is run bigger front tires to get rid of the push. I run a square setup on my E46M3.

Peter

Quick Reply: Stiff springs - more or less grip?