Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

How DIY are you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:05 AM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a total DIY except I can't weld or paint, and the stuff that needs welding on a race car is so important I don't think it's a good place to learn. I pay to get one alignment done a year just to make sure I've got it right.
Why DIY? Because for me it's part of the hobby. I like working on cars without the pressure of knowing I have to drive it to work in the morning. If I didn't have a race car I'd have a project car of some sort, so this is a great merging of two hobbies.
Cheers
Randy
Old 02-18-2009, 09:34 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I raced my SC I could do almost anything to it. Never cracked open the engine or tranny though, left those for the experts.

I spent a summer re-tubbing the entire car myself. Except for the roll cage and final alignment, I touched every nut and bolt along the way. I learned a lot and had a great time doing it too.

Since I switched to the 996, I have barely learned how to remove the quick release steering wheel. I still need reminders on the jack points and am completely lost when my wrench tries to describe suspension setup. Learning this is my goal for this year.

Money has a lot to do with it too, as I have more now than I did when I started racing. I also found the most **** mechanic in the world and he inpires a lot of confidence int he car.

Quick Reply: How DIY are you?