0%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

How DIY are you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:41 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well now that we see where the bell curve is. Or isn't. Anyone care to comment again WHY they do it the way they do? I know a couple have said "if you do it yourself you have no one to blame". I've said it started out as a money thing. Now, I'm just too hard core I suppose. I'd love to see a racing class/series where you personally DID have to build the car from scratch, then go out and drive. No way I'd be a winner, but I'd be around guys who know what's what and make the commitment to do so.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:42 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

I'll clarify that and say I absolutely know where homebuilts are currently racing and being developed, in formula and sports racer classes.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:14 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone care to comment again WHY they do it the way they do?
I was probably a 2 or 3 before I started racing. What struck me was the number of times cars would have problems even after dropping the big checks, and hanging around guys who took a mechanical problem as a welcome challenge. If you DIY, you know what's been done and how to remedy just about anything in the paddock. Its the key to series racing where every race counts.

Over two full 14 race seasons [plus various club DE events] I had plenty of stuff break, but not a single DNS or DNF.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:58 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's definatly a money thing at the beginning but I also have had instances of "if you'd have done it yourself it would have been done right". These where I had put the car into someone as I thought it was past my skill level and I ended up redoing the task myself. I'd also say I'd have to drastically cut down on the fleet if I had to pay hourly labour on a regular basis.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Another 944 guy between Total and Mostly. I tow to the track, support it myself when there. When I do something stupid like stick it into the tire wall, I get to fix it myself. I farm out the head/machine work, but otherwise pull and build the engine. I had somebody else put in the cage when I bought the car, but yesterday I was in the garage learning how to weld holes closed to do the bodywork for this coming season.

I'm not saying I'm great at this stuff, I wouldn't make a living at it, but I take my time, save a fair amount of money that allows me to race, and like knowing that if something is wrong, it's my fault, not because I blindly trusted somebody else to do it. And I can probably fix it myself.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I do enjoy washing/waxing.....it's relaxing, like vacuuming the house.
Are you from another planet?!?!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:38 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Anyone care to comment again WHY they do it the way they do?
For me it started as a kid when we didn't have a lot of money, and I was helping Dad fix the household cars. Then as I started to drive, it was the only way to get them running after I broke them.

Recently, with the P-car, I bought it in 2000 with a newly rebuilt engine. 20K miles later, it spun a rod bearing. Had it professionally rebuilt with me paying the tab. Drove for another 1.5 years and 20K miles and yet another rod bearing spun. I figured I had to do it myself to get it fixed right, so I took Jerry Woods class, and rebuilt it. I found that the oil breather tube in the rear wheel well had a 4 inch slit in the top from the mount, and everytime it would rain, it would kick up sand into the oil tank, and directly into the rod bearing. So I replaced the whole oiling system, and rebuilt the engine. It's lasted more than 20K miles and a few track days.

Now that I'm hooked, I want to make it better, and I see it as a challenge, and a learning experience.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:15 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sundog
For me it started as a kid when we didn't have a lot of money, and I was helping Dad fix the household cars. Then as I started to drive, it was the only way to get them running after I broke them.

Recently, with the P-car, I bought it in 2000 with a newly rebuilt engine. 20K miles later, it spun a rod bearing. Had it professionally rebuilt with me paying the tab. Drove for another 1.5 years and 20K miles and yet another rod bearing spun. I figured I had to do it myself to get it fixed right, so I took Jerry Woods class, and rebuilt it. I found that the oil breather tube in the rear wheel well had a 4 inch slit in the top from the mount, and everytime it would rain, it would kick up sand into the oil tank, and directly into the rod bearing. So I replaced the whole oiling system, and rebuilt the engine. It's lasted more than 20K miles and a few track days.

Now that I'm hooked, I want to make it better, and I see it as a challenge, and a learning experience.
Hey, we've got to get together on the parts needed for your NEXT challenge.......
Old 02-16-2009, 08:45 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Hey, we've got to get together on the parts needed for your NEXT challenge.......
Yes, the Tiptronic to Manual DIY. I'll take notes and pictures and do a write up. But it'll be hard to finish by the first DE in late March. PM or call me.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:26 AM
michael lang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, I have to do or be willing to do things myself. The best investment I've made in any of the changes or upgrades I've done to my car has been the Bentley Manual...I only DE my car.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:58 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arive and drive. Don't know which end of a hammer is which.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:35 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

I put in engines, rent or borrow the cherry picker, have a photo copy of manuals, and have this list to help with getting through any hickups along the way. check the alignment with a bubble level and Sharpie's, pack up and drive the race car to the track, and drive it home.
Ill use my Metwrench until they break in half.
I wont touch the transmission, welding, or tire mounting though. too complicated.

It used to be that i did it all, because i had no time for the whole, drop the car off to the shop and then pick it up ,while getting rides both ways. At home, stuff gets done and done on MY schedule, not on any shop's!

mm
Old 02-17-2009, 10:40 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

We should set up a class for arrive and drive (and drive)

When are you going to put some numbers on that beaut and come out and race with us??

Mk

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Arrive and Drive (and Drive)

I arrive in my car,
then drive in my car,
then drive it back home.

Trailers are for those cautious, soft-boned guys I pass on the track.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:42 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Arive and drive. Don't know which end of a hammer is which.
Yeah, right.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:02 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Right there with you; except, I'm way behind this year so the car goes out to paint on Wed (after being spray bombed last year). This winter I tackled installing fiberglass and some more bondo work.
Yeah, I hear ya, I'm rather a bit behind the curve at the moment with the bodywork myself...

And then there's this guy (back to the part about building your own sports racers!)...
http://vaughanscott.com/DSR/DSR_Build/bare_frame1.jpg

Why DIY? Started as a cost-savings, then soon evolved into: No one can do it better than me (for 95% of work), and not many can do it as well, so why waste the money?? Now, with the DSR, it's much back to the cost scale - building one for $20-25k sure beats buying a Stohr for $70k+!!!

Quick Reply: How DIY are you?