Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick fill for 996 stock fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009 | 05:31 PM
ga911
Advanced

Default Quick fill for 996 stock fuel tank

Has anyone rigged their stock 996 fuel tank with a new neck and a quick fill/dead head valve? We're starting to run enduros and the stock system is way to slow on refuel. Thanks in advance for recommendations.
Old 02-13-2009 | 07:52 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ga911
Has anyone rigged their stock 996 fuel tank with a new neck and a quick fill/dead head valve? We're starting to run enduros and the stock system is way to slow on refuel. Thanks in advance for recommendations.
Very common in the UK for people running in Britcar and not wanting to spend the money on a bag tank. Call Steve at Jaz in Wembley, UK. He can ship it to wherever you are... Google Jaz Porsche
Old 02-13-2009 | 08:43 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

When I purchased my new ex Koni car the shop that built the car had simply cut the stock filler neck and attached the red head with a section of chemical resistant hose and some very good hose clamps. I removed this neck and re-installed a factory filler neck and am now having MAJOR problems getting gas in the car. After we finish replacing the motor that blew last weekend that will be the next thing fixed, somehow.
Old 02-13-2009 | 09:26 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

The Koni cars use a smaller 1.5" red head compared with the standard 2" red head.
Old 02-13-2009 | 09:35 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I had a 1.5 Red Head unit on my RSA and was never really happy with the setup. It filled quickly enough, but I could never get a good, clean adaption from the male fitting to the gas can. It was always awkward and I eventually bagged the whole shebang and went to a 27 gallon fuel cell. It would hold enough fuel for an entire enduro.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-14-2009 | 05:11 PM
ga911
Advanced

Originally Posted by TIM COSTA
When I purchased my new ex Koni car the shop that built the car had simply cut the stock filler neck and attached the red head with a section of chemical resistant hose and some very good hose clamps. I removed this neck and re-installed a factory filler neck and am now having MAJOR problems getting gas in the car. After we finish replacing the motor that blew last weekend that will be the next thing fixed, somehow.
Tim,

The 1.5" Red Head seems to be the only option based on the other guys replys. Why did you replace it with the stock neck? Will you be going back to the Red Head again?

BTW - Does anyone have a RedHead system (male & female) laying around??

Last edited by ga911; 02-14-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-14-2009 | 09:58 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

[QUOTE=ga911;6285558]Tim,

The 1.5" Red Head seems to be the only option based on the other guys replys. Why did you replace it with the stock neck? Will you be going back to the Red Head again?

BTW - Does anyone have a RedHead system (male & female) laying around??[/QUOTE

The 1.5" system worked fine. The problem I had was that my car didnt come with a dump jug and since they are VERY pricey it was just easier and much cheaper to back to the OEM filler neck. I have the old red head and still may go back to that system if I find someone selling a good used bump jug.

Tim
Old 02-14-2009 | 11:52 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Tim,

BTW - Does anyone have a RedHead system (male & female) laying around??
I might, I'll check on Monday.

Quick Reply: Quick fill for 996 stock fuel tank