Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sebring Video (much slower than Rick DeMan's)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sebring Video (much slower than Rick DeMan's)

Let the laughter begin...

Against my better judgment, I'm posting a link to 2 of my laps from Sebring this past weekend. I was actually fairly pleased with my lap time improvement over last year despite some braking issues (no ABS and fade that we traced to a stuck caliper piston). The lap times were 2:32.79 and 2:32.89 - the car is an '88 951S in F class.

Sebring Laps

Nonetheless, I feel I should be able to take a few more seconds off next year so I'm posting this with the hope that people will offer constructive input on what I could to to shave some time next time I get to Sebring.

I have a goal for next trip...lap times below 2:30!

Cheers,

Rick
Old 02-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

Nice & smooth, dude! Given how serene your car is, here are a few thoughts, based on a quick viewing:

-you can get on harder throttle WAY sooner in 1...may be worth 1 second there alone

-same in 4/5

-pick a lower gear in 10 (Cunningham) IMO; your launch there was weak due to being off boost

-perhaps same in 13 (Tower) as well? seemed way off boost when you got back to throttle

-more gas in Bishops Bend and 15!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:51 AM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree 100% with 90% of what VR says!
You MUST go deeper into T1 before turning in then you will feel more comfortable getting on the throttle sooner. In T10 you pretty much don't get on boost until well after the first apex.
Nice and smooth overall but here you go
First lap not too bad at T1
2nd lap
T1: very early turn in at 2:49 forces a lift at 2:51 and 2:55 you should be full throttle and on boost by then. Boost doesnt come on til around 2:57 should make a big difference in your speed down into T2.
Nice job at 4&5 seems you are pretty comfortable at T7 on both laps
just my .02
Old 02-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Guys,

Great feedback...thank you. Now I can't wait to go work on these things. The one thing I did try that you suggested is lower gear in 10 (it would be second) - the problem I struggled with is that it would put my shift point just before/after the first apex. Clearly, it's something to work on.

For me...Turn 1 is deceiving. I kept thinking I was turning in later but when I'd look at my video I found that I wasn't. I think next time I need to pick a more specific point for turn in.

VR...that may be the funniest avatar I've seen in a long time.

Cheers,

Rick
Old 02-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

Happy to help. As for the gearing, that can be a real bitch when gear spacing either has you running out of revs or off boost, nothing in between.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:00 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No laughter, those are pretty nice F laps.
T1 would open up totally for you if you apexed closer to the inside wall, you're leaving at least a car width there, and then running out of exit road. There was a cone down there marking it, you should try to graze it.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice!

I agree going faster in T1 but I completely disagree that you turn in too early (sorry DAN!).

On lap 2 when you turn in earlier I think your turn in point is good. When you do that (turn in earlier) you need to brake later and go in faster though, that's the whole point of turning in earlier.

You need to be brave though and go closer to the wall and just, well, go faster. I know it will be nasty if you screw up (that's probably why most drivers turn late or when turning in earlier, lift) but you can gain or lose a LOT of time at T1 in Sebring.

In general I think you turn in too late on most of the corners, here are what I think are the problems:
-T3 could be little earlier
-T10 should be WAY earlier on your 1st lap, 2nd is better but still too late, this way you'd keep more speed and the gearing problem would not be so bad.
-T13 you actually turn in well, compare that and T10 and you'll see how much later you turn in at T10.
-T16 you might want to try and not go out so much before the turn. It kinda sounds wrong since you can't be on the throttle so early (and you have a long straight after that) but when you go outside before T16, it's pretty bumpy.

-T17, well, who the **** knows? There's a million good lines through there and at least I haven't figured that one out yet...

My 2 cents and as since my license plate is ERLY APX, I might bee just too ****ed up to actually say anything when it comes to turning in...
Old 02-11-2009, 08:04 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake or Gas...pick one. At 1, 7 and 17, you are coasting into the turn. Brake deeper, faster, shift faster and get on the throttle.

Turn 10 - Entry was too deep and you missed the apex. You can also downshift one more gear

Tower Turn - Downshift one more gear. That's a long "straight" through Bishop's

Bishops Bend - on the first lap you were 4-5 feet from the left side of the track before the right hand exit...

Turn 17 - You broke too early and pinched your entry a bit much which kept you from getting on full throttle earlier.

You asked for it....
Old 02-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Guys,

Great input...I do appreciate it.

Peter...you're right...I did ask for it and your comments are all constructive. Your sentence about "...pick one..." is key. I've found that I find a difference between what I think I'm doing in the car vs what I see/hear when I look at my video.

Thanks...and...now to a 2:29 next trip to Sebring!!

Cheers,

Rick
Old 02-11-2009, 11:57 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
I've found that I find a difference between what I think I'm doing in the car vs what I see/hear when I look at my video.
+1 Keep up the video and it will pay off.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Brake or Gas...pick one. At 1, 7 and 17, you are coasting into the turn. Brake deeper, faster, shift faster and get on the throttle....
+1 That's something I thought about also. I remember having a guy to help with my motocross one time and he said you either need to be on gas or brake, nothing else. OK, you some times do coast when you're in the turn but as PedroNole says, not when you're goin into the turn.

Quick Reply: Sebring Video (much slower than Rick DeMan's)