Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque or HP on the road course????? Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,700 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
You are so proud of your ignorance ... truly amazing , an AMIGO

Vroom , Vroom , Ahh the no telemetry DE coach........................
TRANSLATION: "Damn, I just got owned by VR again!"
Old 02-04-2009, 08:04 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ ruining another post again VR, with your directionless made up nonsense.......
Old 02-04-2009, 08:30 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Hp vs torque

Ok, if you havent had enough of this, Ill break it down into its very simple elements.

Torque means absolutely nothing without a speed attached to it. And guys, we are talking ENGINE torque.
Torque that causes acceleration at ANY vehicle speed, will be generated by Power (HP). (i.e HP is the rate of doing work. unit measure of measure of work might be something like HP-seconds, like the kilowatt hours on your power meter at home) It is HP that determines the torque at the rear wheels, not some level of ENGINE torque. Engine torque is one of two factors of HP.

Now, follow me here

Acceleration = power/(mass x velocity)

what this Newtonian identity tells us, is that acceleration is directly proportional to power and inversely proportioal to vehicle speed.

Why is this important?

Because if you are comparing two vehicles, all you need to do, is find out how much hp is made at any vehicle speed and you will know its comparable acceleration potential. (all other things being equal, like aero, weight, etc)

the main question you need answered is what is the average HP that the car will be producing between its gear shifts. in otherwords, what does the shape of the HP curve look like. the flatter the better, as your average or area under the HP curve, becomes higher.

It doestn matter what your peak torque values are on the engine. GT3RS engines can make 440rwhp and have less than 275rw torque. peak torque is flat and the peak could be anywhere! who cares? It matters on what the rear wheel torque is and that is determined by the HP. The HP curve can be looked at in HP-seconds between gear shifts through all the speed ranges. This determines the acceleration rates of any two cars with the same HP.
If one of those cars HP curve is peakier than the other, than the flatter HP curve'd car will acceleratate better off turns. if both have the same shaped HP curve, yet one has 1/2 the torque as the other, BOTH cars will accelerate exactly the same at ANY vehicle speed.

mk
Old 02-04-2009, 08:38 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

With the specifications of the two vehicles powered by 400hp engines below, both cars could have identical accelerations at any speed. The person that ever said "Torque wins races" was ignorant. HP is king, its what determines the torque at the rear wheels. want real life, 2009 proof. Look at the 24hours of Daytona Rolex race. who won???? the little flat 6 over the torquey V8. trust me, the flat 6 didnt have the torque of the v8.

In order for you to compare the below vehicles' acceleration rates at any speed, you would need to show me HP curves and gear spacing. Then, i could give you a hp-seconds graph of which car would theoretically produce more accelerative forces over any speed range. He who has the most HP-seconds, wins! (again, all other things being equal.. driver, weights, etc)

In real life situations, a supercharged 400hp might have a little bit of a peaky HP curve compared to a 400hp NA engine, especially one that is low reving.
this means when you compare the average hp put to the wheels over the operational speed ranges, the 400HP NA car usually will have more average HP. This means it will come off gear shifts with more accelerative forces. the only thing that the supercharged car can do to fight this, is to use a close ratio gear box to increase its average HP to match. If it can, it can narrow the gap.

mk

Originally Posted by wanna911
I know this can't be over simplified but which is better for road course duties? Let's say all else the same on one car. But the only differences are.

Car A (supercharged)

400 hp 396 torque

Rev limit 6100 rpm

Peak torque at 3800 rpm
Peak hp at 6000 rpm

Car B (N/A)

400 hp 300 torque

Rev limit 8400 rpm

Peak torque at 6100 rpm
Peak hp at 8200 rpm

I'm asking because of the statement that torque wins races, however noting that the high revving NA motor has it's place in history as well.

Discuss.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:48 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

If both of the other cars hp curves average 350hp and this engine you note below has a flat HP curve at 350hp, then all 3 of the cars will accelerate at the same rate at any speed, off corners, down main straights, etc. same same same.

Everyone is making generalized statements without knowing the details of the two cars , A and B in question. I can show you a bunch of engines that have the same HP as an other and a lot less torque that will run circles around the greater torque engine due to a flatter HP curve. Flatter hp curve, equals greater acceleration at ANY speed, of any turn and down any straight.

Remember, engine HP at any vehicle speed, determines rear wheel torque (accelerative forces)

Here are a couple of very different engines and their dynos below.
one has 450hp and the other 438Hp. One is from a viper V10 and the other is from a porsche GT3RS. the GT3 has half the torque, and if it had the same 450rwhp. (i couldnt find a graph of a viper with 438rwhp), look how close it would be at any same vehicle speed. the fact that the GT3RS has a close ratio gear box, makes up for most all of the HP curve shape short falls.
So, at ANY vehicle speed, if the porsche had the 455rwhp as the Viper did or the viper had 438rwph, (just in your mind, shift up or down that porsche or viper HP curve) at any speed both cars would have exactly the same torque at the rear wheels. Yet, the viper has double the engine torque! HP determines rear wheel torque. engine torque is really meaningless.

mk

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
Now to make it more interesting-

What about an engine that makes 350hp/350tq?
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
^^ ruining another post again VR, with your directionless made up nonsense.......
TRANSLATION: "Damn, I just got owned by VR again!"

Sorry the FACTS have proved you to be nothing but a stuffed shirt know-nothing again, toots.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

So Mark.....Des asked a general question and you've written War And Peace.

Cliff Notes perhaps?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Sounds like torque sells... and HP wins races.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:32 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I have a short attention span too, so I know those 4 paragraphs were like reading a book for some. Ok, lets just say there are a couple pre-emptive paragraphs to fight off the inevitable questions that usually follow in the beginning of such discussions.

in a nut shell:

Hp at any vehicle speed determines rear wheel torque, and thus all accelerative forces. This is regardless of engine torque and engine rpm.

one example:

two cars coming off a turn in the meat of their 2nd gear, if both cars are at 350rwhp going to 400rwhp midway down the straight, one could be going from 4000rpm to 6000rpm and the other from 5300rpm to 8000rpm and both could have the exact same rear wheel torque, meaning both would have the exact same accelerative forces. (meaning: if one had 400ft-lbs peak torque and the other 275ft-lbs, their would be no difference between the performance of the two)

mk

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
So Mark.....Des asked a general question and you've written War And Peace.

Cliff Notes perhaps?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:38 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,258 Posts

What if Wayne is driving car A and VR is driving car B?

How does that change the equation?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:58 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
What if Wayne is driving car A and VR is driving car B?

How does that change the equation?
He would get lapped
Old 02-04-2009, 10:07 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
The person that ever said "Torque wins races" was ignorant. HP is king,
Yep !

Barky Dave is an Idiot ...

Originally Posted by Van
about right champ ! not the peaky stuff ..........well dat's what the Finn told me
Old 02-04-2009, 10:07 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good explanation there.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:13 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Van
Torque is the current fashion statement. Too bad it doesn't make cars go faster.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:27 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

but if I had a Vtec and a turbo i could go SUPER fast.......................................

Quick Reply: Torque or HP on the road course????? Which is better?