Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best race data acquisition system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 04:53 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question What is the best race data acquisition system?

What systems are you guys using? Looking for some opinions from actual users.

TIA

Al
Old 02-04-2009, 04:57 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

What kind of engineering degrees do you have??

I have the Traqmate but I'm sure it is by no means "the best"
Old 02-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traqmate is cheap, simple to use and provides a reasonable benefit, especially given the cost.
MoTeC is much more capable but also much more expensive and much more difficult to use.

You need to decide what you hope to get out of the system and how much you want to spend.

I started with the Traqmate to see if I would actually use the data and if it would help me improve. I did use it (it was incredibly easy) and it helped, but it was pretty limited as I had not added a throttle position sensor. Based on a years experience with Traqmate, I had MoTeC added to my car when it was rebuilt (I already had a MoteC ECU). MoTeC has incredible capabilities but takes significantly more effort to use. The money spent on the MoTeC requires a significant time commitment to ensure you get your money's worth.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:11 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

You'll get different answers with this one but I feel MoTec is one of the best. With that being said, it is very hard/complicated to use. I recommend and also use a Traqmate. What I have found is that for most customers getting 100% of the info from the Traqmate is still more than the 20-30% that most people can get out of the MoTec.
Hope that helps,
Old 02-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think MoTeC is the most powerful DAQ within our price range (club racers) The analysis software is very easy to use and has powerful features such as that ability to do complex math functions and generate your own custom computed channels. For instance, you can use throttle and brake channels to compute a coasting channel that will tell you when you are coasting. The new I2 software was a significant improvement in ease of use and chas a much better user interface. If you are going to be serious about using DAQ to improve your skills, MoTeC is probably the best.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

I agree with Viking here. Traqmate is a great reasonaly-priced choice for club-level racing, DE, and open track stuff. And since so many folks use it, there are ample opportunities to compare data with other drovers, coaches, instructors, etc.

MoTec is the best for serious racing. And remember, MoTec is also an engine management system as well.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

MoTeC is the best AFAIK. I run one on my car with limited sensors but my friends have all sorts of sensors hooked up. MoTeC is pro level stuff.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

MoTec is the best for serious racing. And remember, MoTec is also an engine management system as well.
Technically speaking, MoTeC sells both Engine Management ECUs and Data Loggers. Gata loggers cannot control engine functions.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:43 PM
dhuberty
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motec hands down is the best. Simply awesome, but it is not for the faint of heart.

Now if you want something Motec like, but not the price take a look at Race Technology. After working with both systems I call the Race Technology software Motec-lite (after some setup work) and the DL1 data logger is rock solid along with the new DASH3 makes it a better system for about the same price as the Traqmate. Any many Porsche club racers use Race Technology.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:55 PM
sjasmund
4th Gear

Hi Guys,

Motec is an excellent and very powerful system, which is capable of doing anything you need it to do and the i2 software is the best out there.

I use it daily and would be happy to help anyone here with the more complicated aspects. Feel free to drop me a message.

Thanks,
Scott

DAG/Strategist
Flying Lizard Motorsports
Brumos Racing
Alex Job Racing
Old 02-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Technically speaking, MoTeC sells both Engine Management ECUs and Data Loggers. Gata loggers cannot control engine functions.
Yes you're right. they are separate units. My intent was to indicate that they sold both.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:59 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes you're right. they are separate units. My intent was to indicate that they sold both.
Out of your depth again buddy If you ask nicely Geoffrey might take you for a spin and throw in a little data aq. Eddy for yah! .....
Old 02-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Out of your depth again buddy If you ask nicely Geoffrey might take you for a spin and throw in a little data aq. Eddy for yah! .....
Does ANYONE know what this douchebag is prattling about?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:06 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Good info guys, thx.

For all of you using the Traqmate: do you have any additional sensors hooked up? I'm wondering how well the sensor unit (traqdata) works with the rest of the system.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by al@cpt
Good info guys, thx.

For all of you using the Traqmate: do you have any additional sensors hooked up? I'm wondering how well the sensor unit (traqdata) works with the rest of the system.
For most folks, the g sensors (lateral & longitudinal), speed, and the GPS are fine. If you really want to work on (or see) your weaknesses, however, throttle position and brake pressure are excellent teaching tools, along wit RPM.

Quick Reply: What is the best race data acquisition system?